Bit of a blog – Navigator of the Seas – E Caribbean – 8 nights – 26th November 2011

Hi,

Thanks everyone who is reading along. Nice to know you're all out there :D

Here is the scooter hire place I used. They do wheelchairs.

I would also like to mention that I have seen many people in need of assistance to walk down a very long pier to get to their ship. They walked around ashore in port and just could not make the long walk back. Someone in a golf cart may be at the pier to take you but not likely. You can flag down another passenger you recognize from your ship who can tell security someone needs to go out with a wheel chair and retrieve you in which case you can expect a very long wait in the sun, heat/rain or no help at all. You can ask a passenger to see if they can get a wheel chair and be so kind as to retrieve you (what if they get back to the ship and there are no wheel chairs available?). If you are a person who thinks there is a remote possibility that you may need assistance take a wheel chair or scooter ashore.

but I do not think it was the cruise line's fault. I am not sure about this, but I believe it is the port authority that controls everything in the port and no one from the ship can provide any assistance.

hmmm, Let's assume you are correct, and you are not even sure if you are correct and say no one can get off the ship while inspection is taking place. RCCL has several berths in this port, I'm sure they have the personnel available to check everyone in. Why wouldn't they have a manager or supervisor at the sheds to coordinate efforts and bring in add'l supplies or personnel as needed? Why was no one from RCCL taking charge to remedy the problems caused by the long delay due to an inspection?

As others have pointed out, these ships are inspected regularly by 3 different authorities, there should be contingency plans put in place to minimize the discomfort of the pax. Really deplorable. So glad my cruise is over & done, otherwise I'd be worried this might happen. I really feel for the people caught in those huge lines in the hot sun. Terrible!

hmmm, Let's assume you are correct, and you are not even sure if you are correct and say no one can get off the ship while inspection is taking place. RCCL has several berths in this port, I'm sure they have the personnel available to check everyone in. Why wouldn't they have a manager or supervisor at the sheds to coordinate efforts and bring in add'l supplies or personnel as needed? Why was no one from RCCL taking charge to remedy the problems caused by the long delay due to an inspection?

As others have pointed out, these ships are inspected regularly by 3 different authorities, there should be contingency plans put in place to minimize the discomfort of the pax. Really deplorable. So glad my cruise is over & done, otherwise I'd be worried this might happen. I really feel for the people caught in those huge lines in the hot sun. Terrible!

Hi,

you are correct - I am not sure ..... I am not familiar with the rules of this port. I do know that most ports in the US have longshormen working in the port and no cruise personnel can assist.

Look at your luggage at the port - it is handled by port personnel both going in ( on the ship ) and going out.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the rules of this port can either correct me or explain who controls the embarkation.

I do feel very sorry for all the people waiting in this long line. I might be facing similar situation on Dec 10, 2011.

I am sure that no cruise line wants this mess and is doing every thing they can to avoid it.

Next week I will be on the Navigator and was wondering if any of the ladies on your sailing scheduled a hair cut appointment this week. Would you be so kind as to post your experience and a pic. Did you feel like they really made a huge difference with a more up to date cut? Thanks for your help and for making this blog. Some of us on the Dec. 4Th sailing are a bit worried.

Anyone part of the 'Diamond Celebration'? I would also luv to hear about your experience. Thanks

Hi Linda,

Can I ask you to comment on this after your cruise? Sorry I don't mean to make you think of this already.... :o We will be on the Navigator in a few months and would like to carry our luggage off. I am curious to find out how long of a walk it is or how organized this part of Terminal 29 is.

Thank you,

Donna

We got off the Navigator this past Saturday, and we carried our bags off ourselves. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't exactly organized either. My family went down to Boleros between 6:45 and 7:00 am, and there were already people waiting to get off. We were assigned a spot in the third group. They called groups 1 and 2 sometime around 7:45, and by that time the waiting area had gotten pretty crowded. By the time group 3 was called, there was no more waiting space, and people were just standing around wherever. There were some people getting off the elevators who didn't realize there was a wait to get off the boat, and they mixed with those of us in line. There seemed to be a bit of confusion, because they didn't announce ahead of time that they would be assigning numbers for walking off. After we got off the boat, customs was fairly quick, and we were outside waiting on our shuttle by 8:15.

We got off the Navigator this past Saturday, and we carried our bags off ourselves. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't exactly organized either. My family went down to Boleros between 6:45 and 7:00 am, and there were already people waiting to get off. We were assigned a spot in the third group. They called groups 1 and 2 sometime around 7:45, and by that time the waiting area had gotten pretty crowded. By the time group 3 was called, there was no more waiting space, and people were just standing around wherever. There were some people getting off the elevators who didn't realize there was a wait to get off the boat, and they mixed with those of us in line. There seemed to be a bit of confusion, because they didn't announce ahead of time that they would be assigning numbers for walking off. After we got off the boat, customs was fairly quick, and we were outside waiting on our shuttle by 8:15.

Thank you for posting this, just what I was looking for, we need to catch a flight in Miami for 11:15.

Next week I will be on the Navigator and was wondering if any of the ladies on your sailing scheduled a hair cut appointment this week. Would you be so kind as to post your experience and a pic. Did you feel like they really made a huge difference with a more up to date cut? Thanks for your help and for making this blog. Some of us on the Dec. 4Th sailing are a bit worried.

Anyone part of the 'Diamond Celebration'? I would also luv to hear about your experience. Thanks

Hi, will see what I can find out for you.... meeting a bunch of people tomorrow on a tour.

Get up in time to see the ship dock. Breakfast in Windjammer then head out to meet the rest of our group for a tour with Bernard’s Tours. Our driver is ‘Slim’, Bernard’s cousin, and we are soon on our way.

373782_10150984944565352_617355351_21901079_776762294_n.jpg

He is very keen to impress upon us that it Is our day and we can go where we want and stay as long as we like. An island with two distinct identities if I’m honest I didn’t really notice any major difference. On the French side seat belts have to be worn and there is posted speed limits. The Dutch side is more commercial and the French side appears to have more individual resort areas on beaches.

Slim takes us to a place where there are iguana and some of us feed them as they come running when he whistles. Apparently the land owner had started off with 2 iguana and they multiplied. Rather bothersome is that there are caged cocks which are used for ***** fighting. There is a man sitting under a tree preparing a bird for a fight.

392344_10150984947970352_617355351_21901086_812723338_n.jpg

He next takes us to a cove where one can handle a conch and other sea life. He has a starfish. Patty (in the pic) and I were participants in the great CC starfish thread so I felt our connection had come full circle!

392641_10150984952525352_617355351_21901105_2042957272_n.jpg

We then go to Orient Beach. This is a naturist beach….. one side is totally nude, the other is merely topless. No, I didn’t take pics although others did.

Maho beach is next for a lunch stop. Wonderful BBQ chicken and baby ribs and fries. As well as being a lovely beach what draws the crowd other than the reggae music played live by a band is the fact that across the road is an airport. Aeroplanes land regularly whilst we are there. Seriously crazy to be on the beach when the planes take off as the back draft is quite severe and blows up the sand and creates large waves.

380135_10150984955645352_617355351_21901117_1898280484_n.jpg

I see people blown off their feet into the water much to their hilarity. A situation erupts as we are leaving where a car has stopped to watch a plane come in; the van behind it has its windows shattered and the windscreen blown out! There are signs telling people not to stop!

The Grand Princess has pulled in whilst we were away.

377263_10150984959235352_617355351_21901124_428225445_n.jpg

I head straight for the solarium pool to cool down. C&A invite to returners reception this evening prior to sailaway. I like to be on deck 11 or 12 to watch the stragglers! Will then see what the sushi is like in Windjammer before heading to MDR.

I’ve received an invite to a C&A upper tier event tomorrow with a magician in the theatre. I’m Platinum. Shrug. There’s also a message on my phone from Guest Services to pop down and have chat with regards to the concerns that I raised.

I've lot more pics which I will post on my return. Thanks for reading along :)

Thanks so much for your posts and pix. We'll be following in your footsteps on Dec. 10. Looks like you're getting some good weather now - enjoy your cruise, and thanks again!

Thanks Linda:

Great pix and blog. We are going with Bernards in Feb. Did you go to Rimas; Marigot Market or to the French Bakery. Those places on our list and probably have to cut out one of the stops. Which one would you cut out to do the above stops?

Great update! Please let us know how the sushi is!! :D Also, when is the sushi available? Thanks!

Jade area of the Windjammer every evening :)

Are there any self-serve soda machines on the Navigator yet?

Not that I am aware.

Thanks Linda:

Great pix and blog. We are going with Bernards in Feb. Did you go to Rimas; Marigot Market or to the French Bakery. Those places on our list and probably have to cut out one of the stops. Which one would you cut out to do the above stops?

Did not visit any of the above on St Maarten so can't comment, sorry.

I attend the welcome back party in Studio B and have to say they have laid on an impressive spread…. and…oh my chicken drumettes are in evidence!!! By the time I arrive Dan, Dan (the party man) is in full swing. Wine is flowing and everyone had glasses of fruit punch or wine or whatever and the atmosphere is jolly. The Captain rolls up and presents awards, one to a lady who is a Pinnacle member…as I recall she had nearly 600 C&A points.

As we sail away I grab this image of Grand Princess showing a Tina Turner concert on their enormous outdoor screen.

375366_10150988633470352_617355351_21912211_2116054717_n.jpg

On my way to dinner to dinner I decided to stop by Guest Services to see what was occurring. I am taken by the assistant desk services manager into a room behind the desk. You know that feeling you get when you are taken into a room by your teacher or your boss for bad news? That was how I felt….. momentarily. I pulled myself together reminding myself that I was the guest and it is they who should be concerned. I also wish I had brought someone with me. She is very conciliatory and a trifle condescending. She explains about the inspection and then advises me that immigration and customs had also mounted an inspection requiring the presence of various crew members. I still don’t get why there was so little support from RCCL at the front line. I request the name of the person in charge of embarkation. She is unable to provide me with that and smiling sweetly at me promises to make enquiries and assures me that my concerns are being raised at a senior level and that she will get back to me.

I have been fortunate enough to have a wonderful waiter each evening. Today I mentioned that I had been to Windjammer for an appetizer of sushi before dinner but it wasn’t opened yet. He got this plate for me! I shared it with neighbouring tables ;)

375366_10150988633485352_617355351_21912212_292529384_n.jpg

There is evidence of me falling asleep on the bus following the excursion. I go to bed after dinner as I have an early start in the morning.

Let me start by saying that everyone should have at least one perfect day in their lives. At home I have made a list of perfect moments. Today was a perfect day.

I first decide to head up to get a towel to take ashore and caught a beautiful view of the island in the early morning sun.

385373_10150987814855352_617355351_21910400_1453744952_n.jpg

I then decided to have breakfast in the MDR just to say I had been there and had a lovely time…. chocolate breakfast on the menu! Actually I resisted but nevertheless the opportunity was there!

384454_10150987816215352_617355351_21910407_506573621_n.jpg

Patty, on our roll call, had arranged a tour of the island with Royston. I firmly believe that Royston is one of St Kitts treasures and St Kitts itself is a secret that must not be allowed to get out. (ooops)

There were enough interested on our roll call to have 3 vans; 2 were air conditioned and one wasn’t (he’d removed the windows though and that was the van I chose to sit in). Royston himself is 38 but looks 21. Seriously.

391026_10150987818205352_617355351_21910418_912552954_n.jpg

He drove us around Basseterre (they drive on the left hand side so I felt right at home!!) regaling us with history and stories which did not let up the whole time.

The scenery we passed and paused at was breathtaking. This is the local hang out.

374125_10150987820760352_617355351_21910430_439892354_n.jpg

We drove around Romney Manor where there had once been a rum distillery. Simply stunning forest trail. This Samon Tree is hundreds of years old and the oldest tree on the island. Its branches touched the ground and continued growing.

383910_10150987822280352_617355351_21910436_133382970_n.jpg

We passed churches of various denominations but the primary religion is that of the Anglican church, the origins of which I explained to my fellow passengers. My friends were keen to see monkeys however the only ones we saw were not in the wild but used as money earners for their owners. I have a problem with animals being exploited for tourism so I am sure you will forgive me if I don’t publish pics here. They may be in my Facebook album and the link will appear here eventually.

We then drove up to Brimstone Hill Fortress. The history was fascinating and the view spectacular. Suffice it to say I have nothing bad to say about a victory against the French! I have taken so many pics it is hard to choose which to put here.

Sue, I always thought they were baby parrots. They were in a box in Cartegena, Collumbia where they had all the full grown parrots. I'll ask DH what they are, just to be sure. All I know is that they were really darn cute. :)

Gina

baby parrots for sure :) they look like macaws of some type

Officers quarters at Brimstone Hill Fortress.

381090_10150987827850352_617355351_21910471_1195133375_n.jpg

We’re asked what we would like for lunch, which is included in the price (unlike yesterday which we had to pay extra for). We decide on BBQ….. here is a pic of the drive in…. or rather drive by where we picked it up!! The lobster wasn’t included.

390932_10150987830660352_617355351_21910486_1533995668_n.jpg

We lunch at South Friers, which is on a spur from the main part of the island. The drive there was hazardous…. I won’t mention here that Royston ignored the sign that said : Road Closed – Hazardous – Danger of Falling Rocks.Our picnic is at a very quiet beach in a hut that belongs to ‘The Godfather’. Spoilt for me by a monkey owner who passes by from a beach further down the bay.

379519_10150987834440352_617355351_21910509_1732436226_n.jpg

We then head 2 minutes down the bay to a water accessible spot and wallow for a while in the water. Royston provides goggles and snorkel gear. Bliss The water is clear. We can see our toes and the little fish swimming around without the need for goggles.

386051_10150987836125352_617355351_21910519_1993667084_n.jpg

Now it is at this point I have to say something exceptional about an extraordinary young man. Whilst we are in the water Royston calls out, ‘Has someone lost a $50 bill as I just found one whilst cleaning out the van.’ It wasn’t mine but suffice it to say the owner was delighted to receive it back in her possession as it was to be his fare plus tip. I cannot praise him highly enough for his honesty which is just one of his amazing traits.

Please, if you do ever visit St Kitts, book with Royston (you can say Linda the English lady sent you!) and make sure that if he is using more than one van you get yourself into his. You will not be disappointed.

I window shop at the pier, hop on a passing motorised buggy back to the gangway and here I am!

Guest services have been online on my behalf to provide me with the following information...clearly they have no idea who we are to complain to. Please can someone check the info for me as I have no idea if this info is current coming from the internet and not current info :

CBP Headquarters

(10/25/2011) 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20229

For questions, comments, or complaints, call the CBP Info Center at (877) 227-5511; (703)526-4200 for international callers

Commissioner

Alan D. Bersin

Deputy Commissioner

David V Aguilar

The above information appeared in an envelope in my bedroom attached to a Customer Services contact information card.

Archived