Bit of a blog – Navigator of the Seas – E Caribbean – 8 nights – 26th November 2011

I just want to clarify to everyone on this board that nobody that was on this ship was asking for anything "free". We didn't want OBC or a free cruise. We wanted a glass of water. We don't want this to happen to the next group.

I just want to clarify to everyone on this board that nobody that was on this ship was asking for anything "free". We didn't want OBC or a free cruise. We wanted a glass of water. We don't want this to happen to the next group.

Couldn't agree wit you more Patty! We never even mentioned the embarkation issue to any rccl staff member. In fact we didn't even participate in the free drink! I felt sorry for the elderly and the fragile waiting 2 hours in line in the sun. As I said before; what if there was a thunderstorm with lightning, where do you go for shelter?

BUT... the vindictiveness of some people on this board coupled with a holier than thou attitude is why I don't bother posting much on cruise critic anymore. Everyone thinks that if you bring up a VALID issue that your looking for a free cruise or something. It gets really old, really fast... just my humble opinion...

Couldn't agree wit you more Patty! We never even mentioned the embarkation issue to any rccl staff member. In fact we didn't even participate in the free drink! I felt sorry for the elderly and the fragile waiting 2 hours in line in the sun. As I said before; what if there was a thunderstorm with lightning, where do you go for shelter?

BUT... the vindictiveness of some people on this board coupled with a holier than thou attitude is why I don't bother posting much on cruise critic anymore. Everyone thinks that if you bring up a VALID issue that your looking for a free cruise or something. It gets really old, really fast... just my humble opinion...

Hi,

Please do not feel that way. I read your post and appreciated that you posted this very valid constructive comments. I am sure there are many others who feel that way too. The people that were not happy with your comments would be the first to complain if they were in your 'shoes'.

How was your cruise ? Any recommendations ? I will be doing the same cruise in a few days.

Wes

Don't take offense. It is interesting that some around here just can't comprehend that some people do try to make thinks better for those who will be following in their footsteps.

You're exactly right. You really can't bring up much around here without being insulted or talked down to. Only say what you love, nothing about valid issues that need addressed. There still are a lot of really nice people here though.

I'm just getting on this thread and read the above statement. After waiting an hour for our free shuttle from our parking lot (off-site) and then taking a taxi, we then stood in line for almost two hours. There were absolutely NO facilities whatsoever - no food, toilets or even water. They finally had some water near the entrance to the shed. RC totally failed to help their guests. While there was food, etc. aboard the ship, it obviously was just standing there, as the vast majority of guests were outside in the sweltering sun. They should have had staff outside answering questions, offering food, assisting the elderly and infirm, providing porta-potties, etc. This can't be the first time this has happened at a cruise terminal. Certainly the delay was not RC's fault. However, their response - or lack of same - was abominable!

I'm just getting on this thread and read the above statement. After waiting an hour for our free shuttle from our parking lot (off-site) and then taking a taxi, we then stood in line for almost two hours. There were absolutely NO facilities whatsoever - no food, toilets or even water. They finally had some water near the entrance to the shed. RC totally failed to help their guests. While there was food, etc. aboard the ship, it obviously was just standing there, as the vast majority of guests were outside in the sweltering sun. They should have had staff outside answering questions, offering food, assisting the elderly and infirm, providing porta-potties, etc. This can't be the first time this has happened at a cruise terminal. Certainly the delay was not RC's fault. However, their response - or lack of same - was abominable!

Oops - I didn't quote the message in my reply, but I was responding to somebody who couldn't understand what the problem was with waiting for a couple of hours and all that! Try it sometime and you'll know!

Years and years ago on a cruise out of San Diego on the Legend of the Seas, there was some sort of computer malfunction. The doors to the terminal were locked and we stood outside in terribly hot weather for hours. And, as I remember we all had our luggage with us, too. The elderly man behind us passed out.

I ran up to the front to tell the security guard at the door. Apparently help eventually arrived. My memory is very foggy but I do remember helping the lady (I think with a wheelchair that was provided for her husband) and that we checked their luggage. The frustration that we felt was lack of communication. We had no idea what was going on and didn't know whether to leave or to stay. The same is true with Galveston in the fog. The first time, friends that we were meeting on the ship got locked outside of the terminal. One of the ladies had just had her last chemo treatment. There were others with health issues and, again, no communication. The 2nd time we encountered fog in Galveston, we knew to drop our bags, go inside and check in and then walk to the boardwalk. And, RCI did have personnel advising people that boarding would not take place until 5 pm. If people feel like they are in the loop, things seem to go much better.

What the queue looked like outside at 1250 as I’m heading aboard….

390984_10150975444550352_617355351_21864385_245150090_n.jpg

icon7.gifJust to add my two cents. I am the figure at the top center of this photo, just below and to the left of the white bus. I am wearing a black shirt and black shorts, carrying a backpack on my shoulders. I got here about 1100; OP says the photo was at 1250. The temp was beginning to get warm, but there was a slight breeze, and I was still fairly comfortable, despite the dark clothes. I am 60 and in fairly good health. It was explained early by a RCCL terminal worker that the delay was due to a Coast Guard inspection. The RCCL people were letting parties that included infirm or disabled to the front of the line, but it appeared obvious that they were quickly overwhelmed as the passenger line swelled, preventing this communication to later arrivals. I observed one gentleman that may have been in distress bending over with his hands on his knees. A RCCL employee did approach the man offering assistance, but was advised that no assistance was needed. A few minutes later a Sheriff's deputy also approached the man. The line was moving at this point and I didn't see the outcome. Before entering the building, I did see the ambulance but don't know if it was for the same incident. My point is that the personnel on the ground appeared to br doing their best. Once inside the doors we were probably on the ship within 15 minutes; very quick and organized check-in. Several years ago we spent over two hours in a moving line in the terminal at Port Canaveral for an Exployer cruise. By comparison, this check-in portion was expertly handled. The terminal building was not fancy, but was functional and set up to move people through. I imagine that the people that were much farther behind us in line experienced longer waiting and warmer temps. As I recall, there was still a substantial line at 4PM. The Windjammer opened soon after we had stopped dropped our backpack at our not-ready cabin. I expect that the inspection delayed all operations on the ship. The crew was very friendly and accommodating. They probably thought that I was rude as I would frequently be zoning in my own world and neglected responding to a greeting every time I passed a crew member. The cruise, itself, was great, as I expected it would be. We did the self-assist disembarkation. The customs all clear announcement was at approximately 0720. We went to our cabin, grabbed our bags, and headed to the gangway without hurrying. With no gangway backup and about a 5 minute wait at customs, we were out the terminal door, waiting on a shuttle to the hotel where we parked our vehicle. My suggestion on transportation for this pier is to use off-site parking with shuttle service. We waited for the shuttle about 10 minutes and were at our car in another ten.

What the queue looked like outside at 1250 as I’m heading aboard….

icon7.gifJust to add my two cents. I am the figure at the top center of this photo, just below and to the left of the white bus. I am wearing a black shirt and black shorts, carrying a backpack on my shoulders. I got here about 1100; OP says the photo was at 1250. The temp was beginning to get warm, but there was a slight breeze, and I was still fairly comfortable, despite the dark clothes. I am 60 and in fairly good health. It was explained early by a RCCL terminal worker that the delay was due to a Coast Guard inspection. The RCCL people were letting parties that included infirm or disabled to the front of the line, but it appeared obvious that they were quickly overwhelmed as the passenger line swelled, preventing this communication to later arrivals. I observed one gentleman that may have been in distress bending over with his hands on his knees. A RCCL employee did approach the man offering assistance, but was advised that no assistance was needed. A few minutes later a Sheriff's deputy also approached the man. The line was moving at this point and I didn't see the outcome. Before entering the building, I did see the ambulance but don't know if it was for the same incident. My point is that the personnel on the ground appeared to br doing their best. Once inside the doors we were probably on the ship within 15 minutes; very quick and organized check-in. Several years ago we spent over two hours in a moving line in the terminal at Port Canaveral for an Exployer cruise. By comparison, this check-in portion was expertly handled. The terminal building was not fancy, but was functional and set up to move people through. I imagine that the people that were much farther behind us in line experienced longer waiting and warmer temps. As I recall, there was still a substantial line at 4PM. The Windjammer opened soon after we had stopped dropped our backpack at our not-ready cabin. I expect that the inspection delayed all operations on the ship. The crew was very friendly and accommodating. They probably thought that I was rude as I would frequently be zoning in my own world and neglected responding to a greeting every time I passed a crew member. The cruise, itself, was great, as I expected it would be. We did the self-assist disembarkation. The customs all clear announcement was at approximately 0720. We went to our cabin, grabbed our bags, and headed to the gangway without hurrying. With no gangway backup and about a 5 minute wait at customs, we were out the terminal door, waiting on a shuttle to the hotel where we parked our vehicle. My suggestion on transportation for this pier is to use off-site parking with shuttle service. We waited for the shuttle about 10 minutes and were at our car in another ten.

Thanks for taking the time to post, gives us more good perspective on what happened. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

very well said Patty !!

Yes it was warm but there was a nice breeze !! There were some people that the heat bothered them more than others .... and yes thank goodness it wasnt raining !! ..... RC was trying to do what they could i think that it just all snowballed on them ..... I hope they just learn from this and to ave a better plan of action if there is a next time :}}

Linda... oh my I was reading on your FB page how bad and long it took to embark Navigator. These lines to get on were mind boggling. Thanks for the great photos and have fun as a Pink Boa member :) say hello to all my friends there. Wish I was there with you all:):)

Especially enjoyed these two photos the first my friend Wendy and her party can be seen in the first photo in line by the red barrier. The second the banner of the 'world famous Port Everglades webcam":)

389445_10150975449180352_617355351_21864425_1392845256_n.jpg

Yes, Emmy, your eagle eye is correct!! My party is standing by the red barrier!! We were spreading feathers to new friends who were asking us what the pink boas were all about.

Can you be specific? Was it the worst as far as length of time? Just trying to be prepared as we have a "relatively" early flight home on 12/18.

I'm loving your report, Linda. I was surprised to read that they changed the clocks but I am so thankful you mentioned that as it will be instrumental in my excursion planning (and yes, I haven't planned any excursions for the cruise I am leaving on in 12 days, lol). Keep it coming and more importantly, have a great time!

Terri, my sister's flight was at 11:30 and ours was at noon. They called our color and number and we got off the ship even earlier than they told us we would be leaving. We breezed through customs and were at the airport by 9 am. Debarkation was smooth sailing.

Yes, embarkation for us was awful especially since my elderly mother and her friend John are 86 years old and have walking and standing issues. I had to get into a tussle with one of the traffic cops to get them near the terminal, into shade, and seated but we accomplished that for which I was grateful.

Once onboard, the cruise was delightful. Food, IMO, was good to excellent all week. Plumbing worked well. No smells at any level that I detected and definitely not on Deck 10. MTD worked well for us without any reservations all week. Agree that Milan was a wonderful waiter...we tipped him extra for that. I was impressed with the extra measures when the Noro outbreak became apparent. . Serving utencils in the Windjammer being changed out every 20 minutes or so..wow. We appreciated the extras for the Diamonds in December event and even received our crystal block for reaching the 140 point mark without asking. Disembarkation was very smooth and the luggage well marked.

So, we came away with an overall great impression of the Navigator and with the knowledge that the Port Authority and RCI need to work together to have a contingency plan when this "storm" comes again.

very well said Patty !!

Yes it was warm but there was a nice breeze !! There were some people that the heat bothered them more than others .... and yes thank goodness it wasnt raining !! ..... RC was trying to do what they could i think that it just all snowballed on them ..... I hope they just learn from this and to ave a better plan of action if there is a next time :}}

I agree. I think it all just snowballed on them. We did have a person in our party who needed to be out of the sun and we were stuck outside. He just went closer to the building and we saved his place in line. We all just made the best of it and some of us made new friends! (by the way...love that pic you are using for your CC photo......I believe that was when we became better friends in line if I am correct!!)

Linda,

A great job as always with your blog! It was such a delight to spend some time with you again! While this wasn't one of our favorite cruises, (the heat drained me a bit in that horrible line, and it just never clicked for us from there on.) However it was delightful to meet all the folks from the broads. A really wonderful group! We ran into folks all over the ship that read Cruise Critic! And our experience had nothing to do with any of the passengers. It just started off ill, and never picked up, but as they often say...A bad day on a cruise is still a whole lot better than a good day at work!

I will also mention that while Milan was wonderful - on that last night we were really ignored. I don't know what to make of it, but Murphy did mention it to him. It seems so odd after the great service we had from him and Jean up to that point. We couldn't even catch his eye to refill our water glass, what's up with that?

Oh, and lastly...I have to say the coffee was so much better than it used to be, and the deserts too!

Again Linda, a "lovely" blog! So where will we sail to next??????

Linda,

A great job as always with your blog! It was such a delight to spend some time with you again! While this wasn't one of our favorite cruises, (the heat drained me a bit in that horrible line, and it just never clicked for us from there on.) However it was delightful to meet all the folks from the broads. A really wonderful group! We ran into folks all over the ship that read Cruise Critic! And our experience had nothing to do with any of the passengers. It just started off ill, and never picked up, but as they often say...A bad day on a cruise is still a whole lot better than a good day at work!

I will also mention that while Milan was wonderful - on that last night we were really ignored. I don't know what to make of it, but Murphy did mention it to him. It seems so odd after the great service we had from him and Jean up to that point. We couldn't even catch his eye to refill our water glass, what's up with that?

Oh, and lastly...I have to say the coffee was so much better than it used to be, and the deserts too!

Again Linda, a "lovely" blog! So where will we sail to next??????

Do you by any chance remember where the Milan from your sailing was from? It isn't a very common name and if it is who I am thinking of I met him on Adventure several years ago.

Do you by any chance remember where the Milan from your sailing was from? It isn't a very common name and if it is who I am thinking of I met him on Adventure several years ago.

I don't, sorry. Tall fella, bald.

Lynne, just tell me where and when..... I want to go back San Juan and St Kitts so will likely aim for a B2B.... it's an 11 hour flight from London to San Juan so will only do that trip the once. Adventure has an interesting itinerary there in November but single rooms are rather dear right now.... will think on it. Brilliance does it too but I prefer a ship with a Royal Promenade.... mind you I would trade Seaview Cafe for Johnny Rockets any day!

Milan DID look hassled that last night now you mention it. As far as the coffee goes the decaf still isn't great imo... need to throw in one of those daily shots to pep it up a bit!

Archived