Flying from Venice Italy to Fort Lauderdale

xnavydoc2

Hello to all,

We are doing a transatlantic cruise next April. We will sail out of Fort Lauderdale to Europe (Ruby Princess). Our flight back home leaves from Venice Italy, and change planes in Frankfurt Germany. There will be about a 3 hour layover.

Since I've never been to Europe, I'm wondering what to expect at the airports. Will I have any problems because I dont speak Italian or German? Will I be able to figure out the "Departure and Arrival" signs? What about security? Luggage? Immigration? My wife and I both have valid passports.

Thanks in advance

You will have no problem with language; signs will also be in English, announcements are in English and airport personnel will also speak English. I have been through many airports where I did no previous research and have never had a problem figuring out where to go.

When you check in for your departure from VCE, you will have to show your passport at the check-in counter. You will not see your bags again until your first point of entry back in the US (assuming this is all on one ticket). There is no immigration or customs when you leave Europe. You will have to go through security to get to your departure gate. I don't know your airline, but many European carriers are very strict with the weight and size of carry-on bags, so check with your carrier on their requirements.

When you arrive at FRA, you will just have to go to your gate. You may have to reclear security again, but you should have plenty of time to do so.

Before you arrive in the US, on the plane they will hand out a customs declaration form which you will need to complete; only one per family. Upon arrival, you will have to clear immigration, where they will stamp your passport. You then collect your luggage and go through customs. Going through customs just entails taking your bags up to the available customs officer and handing them your declaration form. Sometimes they ask questions, sometimes they say nothing. It's impossible to miss or go the wrong way.

If you are continuing on with another flight, you drop your bags off after customs for the next flight. If that's your destination, you simply walk out of the airport.

You will have no problem with language; signs will also be in English, announcements are in English and airport personnel will also speak English. I have been through many airports where I did no previous research and have never had a problem figuring out where to go.

When you check in for your departure from VCE, you will have to show your passport at the check-in counter. You will not see your bags again until your first point of entry back in the US (assuming this is all on one ticket). There is no immigration or customs when you leave Europe. You will have to go through security to get to your departure gate. I don't know your airline, but many European carriers are very strict with the weight and size of carry-on bags, so check with your carrier on their requirements.

When you arrive at FRA, you will just have to go to your gate. You may have to reclear security again, but you should have plenty of time to do so.

Before you arrive in the US, on the plane they will hand out a customs declaration form which you will need to complete; only one per family. Upon arrival, you will have to clear immigration, where they will stamp your passport. You then collect your luggage and go through customs. Going through customs just entails taking your bags up to the available customs officer and handing them your declaration form. Sometimes they ask questions, sometimes they say nothing. It's impossible to miss or go the wrong way.

If you are continuing on with another flight, you drop your bags off after customs for the next flight. If that's your destination, you simply walk out of the airport.

Excellent! That is exactly what I needed to know. Thank You.

6R -- To the best of my recollection, there is outbound passport control from the Schengen zone. Quick stamping of the passport to indicate departure. Unfortunately, my passport is off being processed for a visa so I can't confirm right now by looking at stamps. But I am pretty sure there are the stamps with the little logo of an airplane taking off (versus a landing logo for the entry stamp).

Archived