need suggestions for B&B or hotel in Fairbanks

alaskawdw12

My husband and I are going on our honeymoon in Alaska this July. Yay!

We're starting our trip with 4 nights in Fairbanks. we're looking for a great place to stay for a great price. We're going to be renting a car, in case that effects anything. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at Wedgewood as part of a cruisetour, so I don't know about rates, but it was nice. The room was a 1 bedroom apartment, very clean. The grounds are large, with walking trails (don't forget the bug spray!) and a very nice auto museum. It's a little bit out of town, but you'll have a car & the resort has a shuttle that stops several places in town-easy to get around!

You might ask this question on www.tripadvisor.com where a local could provide more options. Be sure to provide more details about what you're looking for .... do you need a microwave/fridge? is price the most important factor? do you need to be close to a specific location?

This was a recent recommendation:

http://akalpinelodge2-px.rtrk.com/new/

We stayed at the Fairbanks Princess hotel. It was convenient and the rooms were fine. The restaurant was open pretty late which was really nice and they have a nice lounge area to hang out, play cards, have a glass of wine. They also have a nice deck out back for more of the same. We also rented a car and found the location very convenient.

That said 4 days seems like a long time in Fairbanks.....I could think of MANY other places that are more worthy of time. We were in Fairbanks for 1.5 days and saw all the "highlights" including driving out to Chena Hot Springs. JMHO

We stayed at the Fairbanks Princess hotel. It was convenient and the rooms were fine. The restaurant was open pretty late which was really nice and they have a nice lounge area to hang out, play cards, have a glass of wine. They also have a nice deck out back for more of the same. We also rented a car and found the location very convenient.

That said 4 days seems like a long time in Fairbanks.....I could think of MANY other places that are more worthy of time. We were in Fairbanks for 1.5 days and saw all the "highlights" including driving out to Chena Hot Springs. JMHO

Thanks everybody for your suggestions! :)

We're going to be in Fairbanks for 3 days, since we'll be arriving in the evening after 24 hours of flying (yikes!) and we'll be exhausted. There's actually A LOT to do in and around Fairbanks. We're planning on spending half a day at chena hot springs and the ice museum there. Pioneer Park, riding bikes, segway tour, reindeer ranch, nature walk at Creamer's feild, going to a honkey tonk saloon, and of course El Dorado (yes, we're that kind of tourists :) ) and riverboat discovery (just to name a few). You can also take a day trip out of Fairbanks to the arctic circle, but we don't want to do anymore flying during our 2 week adventure.

We stayed at the Westmark, very central location, if you can, try to go to the Pump House for a meal, it is a beautiful place with a large decked area to eat on right on the Cheena River, we spent 4 hours there, it was so lovely.

We stayed at the Westmark, very central location, if you can, try to go to the Pump House for a meal, it is a beautiful place with a large decked area to eat on right on the Cheena River, we spent 4 hours there, it was so lovely.

That sounds fantastic! I've read great reviews of the Pump House. We'll definately eat there. Thank you!

I would suggest A Taste of Alaska Lodge if you don't mind something a little bit away (5-10 minutes depending on traffic) from town. If you don't want to be around all the tourists on organized tours I wouldn't suggest one of the larger hotels (Pike's, Wedgewood, Princess, Sofie Station, Westmark) because they use every one of them in the summer to put up tours.

PS - Pump House is great if you love seafood, if you don't, there is sometimes limited selections.

We're going to be in Fairbanks for 3 days, since we'll be arriving in the evening after 24 hours of flying (yikes!) and we'll be exhausted. There's actually A LOT to do in and around Fairbanks. We're planning on spending half a day at chena hot springs and the ice museum there. Pioneer Park, riding bikes, segway tour, reindeer ranch, nature walk at Creamer's feild, going to a honkey tonk saloon, and of course El Dorado (yes, we're that kind of tourists :) ) and riverboat discovery (just to name a few). You can also take a day trip out of Fairbanks to the arctic circle, but we don't want to do anymore flying during our 2 week adventure.

hate to break it to you, but you'll have been traveling for almost 35 hours by time you reach Fairbanks! :eek: :eek: :eek:

In 2009 friends of my parents were planning a trip to Alaska and asked my mom to ask me for a Fairbanks hotel recommendation. There were several family members traveling together so they needed several rooms. At least one of the party was adverse to staying in a B & B since they wanted to have their own bathroom. The fact that some B & Bs offer private baths seemed to be a moot point -- one of the party was just not going to stay in a B & B.

I suggested the River's Edge Resort. It is centrally located, has a very good restaurant and individual cottage accommodations. They stayed there and according to the feedback given to my mom were very pleased.

• 2 weeks later...

We also thought we would spend half a day at Chena and it didn't happen the ice house tour is 20 min and they are pretty strict on the time and unless you are sitting in the hot springs for awhile there isn't that much else to do there. The drive is pretty neat and we did see lots of moose. We liked fairbanks and also stopped in the museum, riverboat discovery, santa claus house etc but I would never sacrifice time elsewhere in Alaksa for Fairbanks. Just want to make sure you understand your options! :)

We also thought we would spend half a day at Chena and it didn't happen the ice house tour is 20 min and they are pretty strict on the time and unless you are sitting in the hot springs for awhile there isn't that much else to do there. The drive is pretty neat and we did see lots of moose. We liked fairbanks and also stopped in the museum, riverboat discovery, santa claus house etc but I would never sacrifice time elsewhere in Alaksa for Fairbanks. Just want to make sure you understand your options! :)

Thank you :) such a sweet response...

I'm happy to hear the drive to Chena hotsprings was interesting! 60 miles is a long drive for us (we're from a very small country), so I'm really glad to hear it's neat, and I hope we also get to see moose. I actually was so nervous about the drive that I looked it up on Google Earth...

Anyways, we're really doing everything we want to do for our land portion of our Alaka adventure. Obviously, you can never do everything in one vacation, so we're folowing Frohmor's advice and not trying to see it all in a week. I don't like switching hotels everyday and traveling from place to place everyday, just to tik a box and be able to name off more places I've been to. We're really doing all the activities we want to do and seeing all of the places we want to see and definately didn't sacrifice something for an extra day in Fairbanks :)

I'm happy to hear the drive to Chena hotsprings was interesting! 60 miles is a long drive for us (we're from a very small country), so I'm really glad to hear it's neat, and I hope we also get to see moose. I actually was so nervous about the drive that I looked it up on Google Earth...

I was a little nervous initally as well when I saw the small road on google earth but it's not bad at all. It starts out as a "normal" highway road and then gradually narrows and has almost no traffic on it. It's very scenic and you can drive slowly to scan for moose. There are also lots of pullover spots if you want to get out and walk around or take a look. We did that a few times because there was water behind the trees and we wanted to see if there were moose back there. The drive also did not take us anywhere near what google posted. I think it took us 1.5 hours from Fairbanks. Chena is at the end of the road and when you get there go in and sign up for the ice house tour first, and then walk around. The tours run every couple hours so try to plan your arrival time near the start of a tour. The ice house is very neat and worth the trek IMO!

My husband and I are going on our honeymoon in Alaska this July. Yay!

We're starting our trip with 4 nights in Fairbanks. we're looking for a great place to stay for a great price. We're going to be renting a car, in case that effects anything. Any suggestions?

Hi, we are going in August for 3 nites. I've booked the Minnie St Bed & Breakfast. I've not stayed there, but the reviews have been great. Here's the link http://minniestreetbandb.com/

Archived