smoking and non-smoking sections on ships!

sailingnut

I'm not talking about "targets", I'm talking about the 20.8% who actually were cigarette smokers in 2006 based on US government data. You questioned my statement that there are far more nonsmokers than smokers in the US, and the data overwhelmingly support me, not you...almost 4 times as many nonsmokers as smokers in the US.

Your eyeball observation of smokers on one cruise doesn't qualify as meaningful evidence of anything.

Neither does "data":D

&

Two times now I had a balcony and had to close my door due to smokers. What would everyone say that the ship has a smoker's side and a non-smoker's side. Cabins are one side that smoke and cabins on the other side that do not smoke (port and starboard). Any suggestions!:)

My contention is that if one smokes on a balcony, the ship is either moving at 20-35 knots or the wind is typically blowing while in port. I can't see how one "had to close one's door" with diluted smoke blowing by. My wife hates smoke and she has yet to "had to close one's door". I think when one complains like this, they are being hypersensitive.

That and there was a PP that mentioned 20% of smokers in the US. I would suggest that a cruise lines' demographics would be greater than the US average thus averages mean nothing, especially if you consider the region that includes Florida. After you add any European, Asian and South American guests, they truly mean nothing.

Cruise ships are pressurized, so it is impossible that smoke will get into your cabin from a next door balcony. Your are not overly sensitive to smoking, but to the issue of smoking....loosen up.

We love NCL but are trying Princess out later next year. I hear they have a new non-smoking policy going into effect in Jan but smoking on balconies will still be allowed. I was wondering if that would mean MORE smoke smell coming from there. We shall find out soon enough!

Princess' new smoking policy goes into effect for cruises sailing after January 15th, 2012 and does NOT allow smoking in staterooms or on balconies. We got our trip in just under the wire (my husband smokes) and are now switching to NCL because of it. I love Princess, so I have to get him to quit before we can sail them again!

I've never , never understood this type of question. :cool:. I'm a smoker, and I have always booked balconies or mini-suites (ocean suites on Carnival). The moment (repeat: the MOMENT....), I exhale...the smoke whirls away in the wind. No smoke collects or lingers on my balcony. EVER. Just sayin'. So sick to death of this topic.... give it a rest.

I've never , never understood this type of question. :cool:. I'm a smoker, and I have always booked balconies or mini-suites (ocean suites on Carnival). The moment (repeat: the MOMENT....), I exhale...the smoke whirls away in the wind. No smoke collects or lingers on my balcony. EVER. Just sayin'. So sick to death of this topic.... give it a rest.

Until they quit, many smokers do not realize notice the smell of their cigarette smoke. A coworker recently quit and commented she now smells smoke on others. she wonders if she smelled that way; umm yes she did, but who wants to tell a sweet person that? If you ever quit, you may discover that smoke smell more than you previously realized. If you have a good sense of smell, not everybody does.

that said the only time balcony smoke bothered me was when 4 chain smokers hung out chatting and smoking on the neighboring balcony...hours at a time. clearly one couple booked the balcony so they and their friends could smoke there. I was downwind and used the balcony less than I hoped. I did not complain of course...they were within the rules.

If you are sick of the topic, perhaps you should not open the threads. smoke does bother others. Period. Sorry if you do not like to hear it, but you read it repeatedly 'cause it is true...don't kid yourself...

Until they quit, many smokers do not realize notice the smell of their cigarette smoke. A coworker recently quit and commented she now smells smoke on others. she wonders if she smelled that way; umm yes she did, but who wants to tell a sweet person that? If you ever quit, you may discover that smoke smell more than you previously realized. If you have a good sense of smell, not everybody does.

that said the only time balcony smoke bothered me was when 4 chain smokers hung out chatting and smoking on the neighboring balcony...hours at a time. clearly one couple booked the balcony so they and their friends could smoke there. I was downwind and used the balcony less than I hoped. I did not complain of course...they were within the rules.

If you are sick of the topic, perhaps you should not open the threads. smoke does bother others. Period. Sorry if you do not like to hear it, but you read it repeatedly 'cause it is true...don't kid yourself...

I admit I do have to agree with you, more than a bit, but I also contend that if many of anti-smoking zealots here were not allowed to complain about us evil smokers, they would just find something else to complain about.

Have you ever noticed that when some people don't like something, they try to avoid it, but others, when they don't like something, they try to ban it!? Personally, I guess that I am an "avoider".

Personally, I hate heavy fragrances of colognes and perfumes.

I also despise those that fart in elevators, but I doubt that I will ever be able to pass a "flatulance free" elevator law....

Just sayin'.....If I am on my balcony and smoking, give me five minutes and I will be done. If you are on your balcony, and I am on mine (and I am done smoking) and you think that I stink, it just might be my cologne.

Please, try and have a happy life.

I admit I do have to agree with you, more than a bit, but I also contend that if many of anti-smoking zealots here were not allowed to complain about us evil smokers, they would just find something else to complain about.

Have you ever noticed that when some people don't like something, they try to avoid it, but others, when they don't like something, they try to ban it!? Personally, I guess that I am an "avoider".

Personally, I hate heavy fragrances of colognes and perfumes.

I also despise those that fart in elevators, but I doubt that I will ever be able to pass a "flatulance free" elevator law....

Just sayin'.....If I am on my balcony and smoking, give me five minutes and I will be done. If you are on your balcony, and I am on mine (and I am done smoking) and you think that I stink, it just might be my cologne.

Please, try and have a happy life.

Well put. I suspect we would do just fine should we ever be balcony neighbors. I too am an avoider. I am more sensitive to fragrances than to smoke... i'd take smoke over too much perfume if I had a choice. Other than confined workspaces where I just cannot retreat from perfumes, I try to move away if an odor of any sort disturbs me. I am not going to complain if I do not like the way my neighbor smells; I'll just go inside. I do not want to hear if my neighbor does not like the way I smell. OTOH, I have not had many elevator flatulence experiences, thankfully.

Its nice to see the last several posts being so civil.

I used to smoke ( no more) and it does not bother me either way .

BUT , on our last Princess cruise we had an aft suite and a guy in the next balcony over ( I think it was a guy)smoked a pipe. It was brutal :eek: . I dont mind cigar / pipe smoke but what ever he was smoking was so sweet and putrid thick , its hard to explain. I almost asked what the heck it was , but then he started farting (alot)and being aft it just waffting around and I gave up. This is a true story :D.

Now if I could just get the room steward to keep the ice bucket full I'd be happy . Because apparently I drink to much. I hope that doesn't bother anyone;)

Now if I could just get the room steward to keep the ice bucket full I'd be happy . Because apparently I drink to much. I hope that doesn't bother anyone;)

Sure it does bother me, but I'll put on my big girl panies and suck it up ;) :D

Its nice to see the last several posts being so civil.

I used to smoke ( no more) and it does not bother me either way .

BUT , on our last Princess cruise we had an aft suite and a guy in the next balcony over ( I think it was a guy)smoked a pipe. It was brutal :eek: . I dont mind cigar / pipe smoke but what ever he was smoking was so sweet and putrid thick , its hard to explain. I almost asked what the heck it was , but then he started farting (alot)and being aft it just waffting around and I gave up. This is a true story :D.

Very educational post !!!! ;) You learned why HE SMOKES ( He can't stand the zephyr winds either) and I learned why you drink (what is too much ??) !!!:D:D

interesting... I thought they already had a rule where you could only smoke on the strboard side of the ship, and i assumed that meant cabins on the starboard side too, so booked starboard. My first 2 cruises i didnt realise you could smoke in the cabins so i booked a balcony and a suite, then on my last cruise we had oceanview, but this was with carnival. I didnt realise NCL had a different policy. so I can smoke anywhere!!!! Im happy but I wouldnt mind if it was confined to one side of the ship so that those of you that book in advance can get on the non smoking side, of course if there are not enough cabins for all the non smokers then thats a reason to book early and get the cabin you want with a balcony that is smoke free

interesting... I thought they already had a rule where you could only smoke on the strboard side of the ship, and i assumed that meant cabins on the starboard side too, so booked starboard. My first 2 cruises i didnt realise you could smoke in the cabins so i booked a balcony and a suite, then on my last cruise we had oceanview, but this was with carnival. I didnt realise NCL had a different policy. so I can smoke anywhere!!!! Im happy but I wouldnt mind if it was confined to one side of the ship so that those of you that book in advance can get on the non smoking side, of course if there are not enough cabins for all the non smokers then thats a reason to book early and get the cabin you want with a balcony that is smoke free

I'm a little confused by your post, sorry.

The 2 ships I've been on you could smoke on open decks where it was not marked and not near eating venues or sports areas. That meant we could smoke on the "port" side of the promenade deck, provided you were not near an eating venue (the starboard side was not marked but also had no ashtrays, I took that as a good indication they didn't want you smoking there). The "port" side of the pool deck. On the Star and Dawn the upper tiers of the open decks were not marked but we stuck to the port side anyway to give the non-smokers a whole side for themselves.

There are no cabins that are smoking vs non-smoking but as of Jan there is no smoking in the cabins only on the balconies.

im confused too sorry! I meant that when I cruised with carnival I thought that you could only smoke on one side of the ship, and i mistakenly assumed that meant cabins as well. so i booked my cabin on what i thought was the smoking side. I didnt mind doing this, and it may be a good idea to have one side non smokeing. Back then smoking was allowed inside cabins but I did not know that, ( reason for booking a balcony) I also didnt realise that the different cruiselines have different policies regarding smoking and alcohol, so im learning alot from these boards :)

Thankyou for letting me know that smoking is allowed only on balconys and on ANY side of the ship. Im wondering if I should upgrade and get a balcony...

Thankyou for letting me know that smoking is allowed only on balconys and on ANY side of the ship. Im wondering if I should upgrade and get a balcony...

Well thats would be totally up to you.

Personally as long as NCL has smoking on their balconies they have my business. I refuse to get up, get dressed and head up 2 flights of stairs or down 3 each time I want a cigarette. If they've stopped it in the cabins I really don't care as long as I can go as far as the balcony.

This has clearly been the most civil smoking thread ever!!! The OP said he/she had to close their balcony door because of the smoke. Policy has always been to keep the balcony door closed to save the AC system. So the answer is, close the door.

I think the current system on NCL is a great compromise? BTW, I'm a non smoker.

This has clearly been the most civil smoking thread ever!!! The OP said he/she had to close their balcony door because of the smoke. Policy has always been to keep the balcony door closed to save the AC system. So the answer is, close the door.

I think the current system on NCL is a great compromise? BTW, I'm a non smoker.

Yes I agree it has been. I'd love to go back to the days when people were respectful to each other regardless to whether they agreed or not. I just don't see where a huge fight accomplishes as much as this thread has.

The other nice thing about this being a civil conversation is it is informative. Most times you cannot get information on this subject. I know I search a bit before my first cruise but I didn't dare ask for exact information on where I would be allowed to smoke on my cruise because I had seen where this type of thread ended up.

Policy has always been to keep the balcony door closed to save the AC system.

Sorry don't mean to quote you twice but I was just re-reading and have gone past my "edit" stage.

Where did you find this policy. I've search the web site and the dailies and haven't found that written anywhere. Not that I disagree that it may affect the A/C (I really don't know one way or the other). And the fact my A/C is turned off in my cabin (I always find the cabin cold). Just curious as where this information comes from.

I've always heard that you should keep your balcony door closed because it affects the air conditioning of other cabins, but never saw it as a hard and fast rule. Stickers on the balcony doors on some ships, maybe a mention in the daily papers, but nothing that says they will throw you off the ship if you do it. :rolleyes:

We are non-smokers but aren't militant about it. But I have to disagree with the post that said when a ship was moving the smoke would dissipate and you couldn't smell it. On a Princess cruise to Hawaii with four sea days each way, there was a cigar smoker upwind of us and on all the sea days we could really smell it whenever he was smoking. My husband (the wuss) couldn't stand it and had to go inside when the smell got to him.

Archived