Green Flash in the Caribbean ~Dec. Jan.

Martita B.

All you Caribbean cruisers be certain to look for the Green Flash at sunset! It's a once in a lifetime experience. It occurs so quickly you need to keep your eyes on the sun just as it sets ~do not blink or you'll miss it. Once sailing with Captain Geir-Arne during Xmas/New Years Caribbean we all saw it TWICE~ what a thrill! The 1st one on Christmas Eve ~2nd a few days later.

Some salty-dog Sailors have been looking for the Green Flash for years, but alas have never been blessed to see it ~Seems the Carib, in Dec., is a perfect place to view this magical mysticism. Ask the Captain where the best place might be on the ship to stand watch.

You Merry Makers might even have a Green Flash deck cocktail party! Bartender could serve green drinks ~:D

Good luck in viewing the Flash ~take your camera!

Martita B.

Someone could win a photo contest if they could catch the Green Flash on film!

I loved seeing it ~our small party of flash lookers clapped and clapped when we saw it ~Geir-Arne also saw it twice on our holiday Carib cruise.

Very exciting ~

Martita B.

Someone could win a photo contest if they could catch the Green Flash on film!

I loved seeing it ~our small party of flash lookers clapped and clapped when we saw it ~Geir-Arne also saw it twice on our holiday Carib cruise.

Very exciting ~

Martita B.

Check out Google- type "green flash" and select images...

Host Dan

It depends on the weather, and air and sea temperature.

I've seen it a bunch of times, including from the Oregon coast (having a glass of wine with friends, who thought I was pulling their leg when I told them about watching for the green flash, and the stunned silence when we all saw a really good one!)

I've seen it about weekly when staying in the hills above Puerto Vallarta in winter/spring.

In about 200 days at sea, I've watched for it every chance, but never seen it to any noticeable degree (there is always a little green, but nothing to shout about). That's primarily because of cloud cover, and the rarity of a clear-sky sunset. There are usually marine clouds at the horizon, which make for pretty sunsets, but no green flash.

Google "green flash" for LOTS of images. (I'm looking for the one I captured with a point and shoot).

Would be fun to start a Green Flash Club ~~I've been in the Caribbean many times but have only seen it twice on the Xmas/NY's cruise with Geir-Arne ~~have always watched for it but, of course, was disappointed when it didn't occur.

It is fun to see ~

Thanks for sharing with us the information!

Martita B.

I definitely look for it on my Holiday cruise. I have never seen it at sea. Should be beautiful. I have seen it from land when I lived in Hawaii.

Martita B.: I guess I'll have to postpone cocktail hour (with my funny napkins) else I might see more than 1 green flash. <g>

Jim

The best place to watch would be "The Monkey Top" ha ha ha But

I'd be scared the Captain might throw us in the Brig for even knowing where the stairs are ~much less, climbing up there among the ships flags!:confused:

We watched Deck 5 bow ~by the jacuzzi. It is an excellent spot.

Happy Holidays!

Martita B.

I've seen it atleast 7 times so far.

Makes it more challenging looking for it at sunrise not sunset, just gotta know the location the sun is going to come up at and watch without blinking.

Please be respectful when it happens: "It signals when a soul comes back to this world, from the dead." - Pirates of the caribbean

Archived