time to make flight?

silkman

Hi Richard!

Hope all is well. You are better off taking a nonstop flight the next day than rushing from Dover to Heathrow. It's a long ride and if you hit traffic, you could miss your flight check-in time. We always stay an extra day because you never know when the ship will come into Dover late!

Rhea

If you have the time and the means I would spend the night and go the next day. Yes, if everything goes well you could make the same day flight but it is so much less stressful not to have to end your vacation with a mad dash to the airport. Pick a nice hotel, have a nice dinner and a relaxing breakfast and head home.

B.

Providing there are no accidents you would probably be fine but the traffic on the motorways in England can be diabolical, it only takes one accident for you to become stressed and unglued (especially after a relaxing cruise). And Heathrow is confusing at the best of times. So if time and cash flow permit you might want to stay a night as suggested by B. We were in England recently and hit traffic jam after traffic jam we were not in a hurry to get anywhere but it was a tiring and long journey.

You should be fine

We were on the bus at 6:15 & at LHR at 8:30am for a noon flight

If their ship docks at 6:00am they will never be on a bus at 6:15am..IMHO you will make the flight anyway but the advice to stay over is good advice..what day does the ship dock..if it is a Sat or Sun you have a better chance of not a lot of traffic..

Jancruz1

If their ship docks at 6:00am they will never be on a bus at 6:15am..IMHO you will make the flight anyway but the advice to stay over is good advice..what day does the ship dock..if it is a Sat or Sun you have a better chance of not a lot of traffic..

Jancruz1

Sorry Jan but Oceania had us on the bus at that ungodly hour :eek:

Returning from London Heathrow, several weeks ago, the line for coach

going through security took about a 1 hr. Forutnately we were Business class and the total time was about 8 minutes. If your on coach stay overnight to avoid voiding your restfull vacation.:)

Sorry Jan but Oceania had us on the bus at that ungodly hour :eek:

The ship could not have docked at 6:00am it takes a while to clear customs..I do believe you left at that hour but you must have docked earlier..I was not doubting your word..

Jancruz1

The ship could not have docked at 6:00am it takes a while to clear customs..I do believe you left at that hour but you must have docked earlier..I was not doubting your word..

Jancruz1

Jan it was a few years ago so things may have changed (you were on the same cruise ) :)

I do think we did arrive earlier because some had 10:30 am flights but the ship also must have been cleared because we were in Falmouth the day before

When we docked in Dover on a B2B most of the passengers were gone by 9 am when we got off to explore

So I guess it depends on where the ship was before Dover & the time it docks

I would urge an overnight stay, a few weeks ago (mid October) my wife and I drove from Poole in Dorset on the south coast for what the gps forecast as a 3 hour drive to the Midlands. This avoided London and the dreaded M25 (the longest car park in the world) but took us via Oxford. Six and a half hours later we were still driving.

Archived