What is typical temperature at sea

mor mor

The first two or three days sailing from the West Coast can be very cold. If you are planning to be on the open decks at all, you will need a sweater or jacket. One of the pools is covered, so you will be all right there and of course inside the ship you should have no problem.

We are taking the San Diego to Hawaii cruise Dec 21 and wondering how cold it might get at sea. Do we bring heavy sweaters? Some of us get very cold and others not so much. Advice appreciated!

We sometimes feel that HAL keeps even the inside temps a little on the cool side. A nurse once told us it was to retard the growth and spread of bacteria and viruses. I have noticed they seem to do that in hospitals. Agree with the other poster that the first few days at sea can be cold on deck.

RonJoan

He says He helps those who help themselves so I posted which turned out to be a good idea. Of course I assume you mean 65 degrees in the daytime while at sea - just to clarify -.Which is basically winter highs here in San Diego area. Of course sometimes it can be 75.

He says He helps those who help themselves so I posted which turned out to be a good idea. Of course I assume you mean 65 degrees in the daytime while at sea - just to clarify -.Which is basically winter highs here in San Diego area. Of course sometimes it can be 75.

My DH and I did the San Diego to Hawaii cruise from November 12th through the 26th. We live in Orange County, CA, so we're not used to very cold temps either. As others have said, the first couple of days going and coming back were quite chilly. I didn't feel REALLY warm until we got to Hawaii and, for that matter, even in Hawaii it wasn't all that warm and it rained a bit. I ended up buying more sweats while we were there, because I wasn't able to wear all of the shorts and sundresses that I packed.

The best advice is to bring layers. I never wore (or needed) a full-blown jacket (no heavy jackets required), but some may very well want to layer with a t-shirt, then a sweater, then a light jacket.

Finally, I've heard a lot of people say that they keep it too cool inside. I'm slim (105 soaking wet), but I was very rarely cool inside. I almost always wore sleeveless tops and slacks or dresses in the evenings and I always felt fine. But you should bring a shawl or some nice cardigans, just in case.

Have a great time! Despite cooler weather than we had expected, we LOVED it! :D

Archived