CoCo Cay Question

Vitality08

I have a cruise booked in February. This will be my first cruise with RC and my first visit to a "private island". I've seen a lot of questions posted about Cabana's and Clamshells and I'm a bit confused.

Are these necessary on the island? Without one, will I just have to lay on the beach on just a towel or what have you? Is there shopping on the Island?

Thanks for all your help.

CoCo Cay is awesome! There are lots and lots of lounge chairs available all over the island so don't worry about having to lay in the sand! :) We are also cruising in Feb and I am anxious to find out more about the cabanas on the island. We were there last Feb and I don't remember see those!

No, they are not necessary! There are PLENTY of trees for shade, plenty of loungers....drag them where you wish, and hammocks in the trees, too. There is absolutely NO REASON to spend money for a cabanette or those silly "clam shells"! The trees will provide shade, when you want it!

There is a "straw market" of sorts....not really what I'd call "shopping", but you can spend money there! If you want to do that, bring cash for shopping. Anything else you buy on the island (drinks, excursions, etc...) will be charged to your shipboard account.

There are also umbrellas to rent at Coco Cay.

Umbrellas? Really? Where?

OP, I'm one of those people who will probably rent one of those silly clamshells because I am fair skinned and am lazy and like the guaranteed shade, but you don't need to do that at all! CocoCay is just a wonderful, relaxing beach day. There are "excursions" like jetskiing or parasailing, and the difference with them is that RC runs all of them--you don't have the option to go through a different vendor like you would in Nassau or Key West or any other port. If you like snorkeling, you can bring your own snorkel gear, or you can rent from them. There are plenty of beach chairs.

Also, there is a barbeque lunch. You will take a "tender" over to the island--it's a short little trip.

You should make sure to walk around and check the place out. It's my favorite stop. Enjoy!

I have never been to a private island such as CocoCay. Since it is run by RCCI will I have to buy food and drinks or is it part of the cruise package?

At CocoCay, there is a barbeque lunch that is included--you've already paid for it. Otherwise, drinks are just like on the ship. If you have a soda package, you'll get drinks out of 2 liters instead of the gun, but otherwise you pay for everything on your seapass card like you would on the ship.

Archived