Formal Wear On Oceania

Gookers

My partner and I are taking our first cruise with Oceania over Christmas and New Years from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro. We are in our late 40s and are looking for a slightly younger demographic than what we find with HAL so are eager to try Oceania.

One of my favorite aspects of cruising is formal nights (although my partner dislikes formal nights). My question is, although there is the Country Club Casual dress code on Oceania, will I be overdressed and out of place if I decide to wear a tuxedo on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve? We are booked to dine in Polo Grill for Christmas Eve and Toscana for New Year's Eve.

I appreciate the advice.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Given the no formal night environment, you could expect most folks would not be wearing formal wear ... makes packing easier. Can't say how you would feel thus attired. As far as younger demographic versus HAL, the holiday trip you are taking may have a unique age distribution because of the holidays ... I can't venture a guess. In any case, please enjoy the cruise.

Frank Del Rio has said that if you wear a tux on board he will put you to work as a waiter.

That being said, I think Christmas and New Years are exceptions and a tux would not be out of place although you may be the only ones so dressed.

We took the Rio to BA cruise last holidays and many people, especially the women took the holidays as an occasion to dress up a bit more than usual.

In any event you will enjoy the cruise. I hope you are going into BA a few days early as it is a wonderful city. We liked it much better than Rio.

Despite Ed's comments, I'll disagree a little ...

But only a little.

True, I'm going back to Renaissance days which had the same "country club casual" dress code, but I remember seeing at least one group of people in formal attire and no one stared at them! If you want to dress up, you should feel free to do so.

It's often easier for women than for men. I remember on the QE2 that "formal" dress for women meant we could wear pants suits (yes, elegant ones, but still pants suits). But even on casual nights men had to have a jacket and tie. But as Ed said, if you want to wear a tux -- go ahead.

I also think that during the holidays you could want to dress up somewhat more, and no one will throw you out of the restaurants for doing so.

Even if I don't want to dress formally myself, I enjoy seeing others who do so.

As to Buenos Aires vs. Rio, we loved both cities. Now, we were in Rio in April 1974 (just after Carnival) and adored it ... but I have heard that it's a lot less safer than it was when we were there. BA is a great city, no doubt about it.

I have seen two men heading for the dining room wearing tuxes -- akthough they stood out as different, it was in a nice way, and I'm certain no one thought less of them.

Oceania's dress code is pretty cool -- it sets certain minimum standards that are easy to meet, but it sets maximum standards. If you feel comfortable in formal wear and enjoy wearing it, by all means you should do so.

However, that is an accurate quote from Oceania founder Frank Del Rio, and he has also stated that there are no tie racks in Marina closets for a reason.

Frank Del Rio has said that if you wear a tux on board he will put you to work as a waiter.

That being said, I think Christmas and New Years are exceptions and a tux would not be out of place although you may be the only ones so dressed.

We took the Rio to BA cruise last holidays and many people, especially the women took the holidays as an occasion to dress up a bit more than usual.

In any event you will enjoy the cruise. I hope you are going into BA a few days early as it is a wonderful city. We liked it much better than Rio.

Wow you guys have a great memory..FDR said that on the Regatta Inaugural in 2003..

it got a great laugh ..on that first cruise the store was carrying formal wear ..that quickly was removed..

Jancruz1

My partner and I are taking our first cruise with Oceania over Christmas and New Years from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro. We are in our late 40s and are looking for a slightly younger demographic than what we find with HAL so are eager to try Oceania.

One of my favorite aspects of cruising is formal nights (although my partner dislikes formal nights). My question is, although there is the Country Club Casual dress code on Oceania, will I be overdressed and out of place if I decide to wear a tuxedo on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve? We are booked to dine in Polo Grill for Christmas Eve and Toscana for New Year's Eve.

I appreciate the advice.

Hi

We are on the Nautica for Christmas & New Year. Take your tux and your partner an evening dress , we are. I understand there will be a special evening New Years Eve so you will be in keeping. I have seen people in formal wear on Oceania and I didnt stare. In fact they looked really nice.

The "Brits "also love to dress up.

Have a great cruise.

I appreciate the advice.

Don't concern yourselves. There is a very special occasion here, either evening, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone else were to dress up too.

Even if no one else does, you and your companion will not look out of place as many others will attempt to wear something special for the evening.

If anyone were to hand you a stack of menus and tell you to seat guests at dinner - tell them to go get stuffed!!

Have a Great Time!!!

Oceania's dress code is pretty cool -- it sets certain minimum standards that are easy to meet, but it sets maximum standards. If you feel comfortable in formal wear and enjoy wearing it, by all means you should do so.

Hi, Don, I believe there is a "no" missing: there are no maximum standards. Glad to see you posting again; I have missed your rational and sage advice.

Gookers, wear a tux if you want too; it's up to you! I have enough trouble making the 50-pound luggage limit (spouse limits me to one bag, a smart move), so I am one of those thrilled with the no formal dress requirements, but fellow passengers enjoy seeing dressing up. It's dressing down that's bothersome to most.

Enjoy!:)

You dress as you wish...

Anyway, elegant and stylish people always dress according the occasions.

You will look great and I am sure everyone will appraise you as not many people dress fancy as they dont have any clothes...You will see on time.

I wish you great time and enjoy!

Happy holidays!

All the best!

Archived