Wine Lovers Unite - Full Wine List

Destinite

We cruise 12/11 on the Spirit. We usually have a bottle of wine each night with dinner. I saw the limited wine list on the NCL website and it said full wine list was available upon request, so I requested it. Noone at NCL knew how to get it so they actually had the onboard group event coordinator email it to me:

http://thewiredagent.com/NCL%20Wine%20List%20Spirit.pdf

When we sailed on the Sun last December the wine stewards all had a close out list they offered in addition to the regular wine list that had some real bargains. Has anyone recently sailed the Spirit and did you notice if there was a "special" wine list of discontinued wines?

We cruise 12/11 on the Spirit. We usually have a bottle of wine each night with dinner. I saw the limited wine list on the NCL website and it said full wine list was available upon request, so I requested it. Noone at NCL knew how to get it so they actually had the onboard group event coordinator email it to me:

When we sailed on the Sun last December the wine stewards all had a close out list they offered in addition to the regular wine list that had some real bargains. Has anyone recently sailed the Spirit and did you notice if there was a "special" wine list of discontinued wines?

Thanks. I am unable to open this.

Very useful information. Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks a lot!

I'm also interested in knowing if there is a discounted list on the Spirit:D

Some of these are very good wines, it's hard to know their value because they don't include the vintage. The Pillar Rock is a lovely wine, but at $220 per bottle (plus 15%) that's pretty pricey. I can buy a bottle for $55 (the 2000), pay the $15 corkage and be way ahead of the game.

Some of the less expensive wines are priced so that you might as well buy them on board.

Skål!

This is great information, thank you. We were thinking about bringing our own wine aboard and paying the $15.00 corkage fee. Has anyone done this? Do you know if it's made to be a huge hassle? Thanks for any advice you have!!

We have done this, it is not a hassle, and depending on the wine, you can save a lot of money.

wow, We have never seen a close out list, I hope we do when we sail the Sun in Feb.

NIta

This is great information, thank you. We were thinking about bringing our own wine aboard and paying the $15.00 corkage fee. Has anyone done this? Do you know if it's made to be a huge hassle? Thanks for any advice you have!!

Always bring our own wine!

My DH & I always take 6 bottles on board with no issues. We have them in a 6 bottle carrier & show them up front. We usually purchase wine in our departure city but for the 12/18 Spirit cruise, we have the good fortune of having neighbors who are driving down to NOLA before we fly in. We are sending 6 bottles from our own cellar with them. WAHOO:D

As we tend to drink rather high end vintage wines that we get for a good price, we still come out ahead.

Thanks for posting the updated list. As we've known all along - NCL's wine list is pretty woefully lacking if you want nice ones. Perhaps they just don't do as much wine sales above the $25-50 street value bottles or whatever. But getting a decent bottle of wine for special occasions has always been tough unless you want the generic Dom.

Which is why we always bring 3 or 4 bottles on board and pay the corkage. . . My issue is that I can't seem to bring any of my good scotch on board, nor do they carry any good scotch to purchase.. . . At least they let wine/corkage.

Turns out this list is the same one from 2009. I am surprised they haven't updated it since then....especially with the pricing.

Turns out this list is the same one from 2009. I am surprised they haven't updated it since then....especially with the pricing.

From a European perspective some of the prices are 'interesting'. The relative prices of some of the European wines are quite cheap compared to normal high-street prices. One of my all time favourites is VERY reasonable (I'm not going to highlight it here for obvious reasons!) :D

Agreed about the beer selections - dire is the word that springs to mind.

From a European perspective some of the prices are 'interesting'. The relative prices of some of the European wines are quite cheap compared to normal high-street prices. One of my all time favourites is VERY reasonable (I'm not going to highlight it here for obvious reasons!) :D

Agreed about the beer selections - dire is the word that springs to mind.

Dire is running low on good beer. Abyssmal is a description of their beer list.

Thank you! I am from Toronto, Canada and the prices of the higher end wines are actually quite good. I'm definately going to order a bottle of Tattinger Champagne and at least a bottle of Caymus Cab.($99 in Toronto) Maybe a bottle or two of the Spy Valley Riesling for my DM and I to share. Thanks again!

Thank you! I am from Toronto, Canada and the prices of the higher end wines are actually quite good. I'm definately going to order a bottle of Tattinger Champagne and at least a bottle of Caymus Cab.($99 in Toronto) Maybe a bottle or two of the Spy Valley Riesling for my DM and I to share. Thanks again!

I have to agree that their pricing isn't that bad at all. I would say they are cheaper than more restaurants that are land based. Even something common like Dom, most restaurants charge $240 or so since its about $120/bottle. So 198 isn't bad at all (too bad I don't like Dom/Champagne). The big complaint for me is that they just don't have very good selections of Napa or Bordeaux Reds and thats their strongest group. If you start going to other wines like Barolo/Barbaresco/Penfolds Aussie/Sauternes/etc/etc - you're really out of luck.

Dire is running low on good beer. Abyssmal is a description of their beer list.

That is why I 'stock up' (internally) on the good stuff before I embark and when I disembark...:D

I try to suspend my 'beer muscle' whilst on board and help DW in her search for the perfect martini (usually the next one!!!!!) - firing for effect rather than subtle taste!

BTW - check out the Gewurtztraminer - great price - great taste - but difficult to order via a Philipino waiter - they just cannot say it:confused:

That is why I 'stock up' (internally) on the good stuff before I embark and when I disembark...:D

I try to suspend my 'beer muscle' whilst on board and help DW in her search for the perfect martini (usually the next one!!!!!) - firing for effect rather than subtle taste!

BTW - check out the Gewurtztraminer - great price - great taste - but difficult to order via a Philipino waiter - they just cannot say it:confused:

I'll pass on the gewurtz.

Picked up two bombers of Scaldis and two of Scaldis Noel today.

Archived