first time cruise boo boo...

Annabell111

Since this is our first cruise I seem to have made a mistake with the airline we flew into. It is the Ronald Reagan airport and from what I hear it cost a small fortune to get into the inner harbor where we have a hotel reserved by taxi. Can anyone tell me if they are flying into the same airport and how they will be getting to their destination if they are coming in on the 24th? I hear that the Metro would be the cheapest but hoping it is not to much of a pain with all the luggage for 5 and I am in a manual wheelchair to boot or what about renting a car for a day? Please, any advice appreciated. Thank you, Anne!!

I posted this on the roll call thread too...

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There is a section here called North American Homeports. Under that, East Coast Departures. I suggest you go there and see if there are any threads with suggestions, and if you don't find what you are looking for, post your own thread. EM

you can try taking super shuttle....shouldn't be too bad....not sure about wheelchair accessibility.

METRO will NOT get you to Baltimore....

you COULD take metro to Union Station in DC (You'd have to change lines http://www.wmata.com) and then AMTRAK to baltimore (not the airport station....downtown) then cab it to the hotel...

OP -

What day/time are you flying into Reagan/National airport(DCA) ?

I typically use http://www.theairportshuttle.com when flying out of BWI. I find them very reliable. They also serve DCA, but I can't vouch for that service. I did a mock booking for 5 adults on 12/23 and it would run $126 total to go from DCA airport to the Baltimore Inner harbor. (about 50 miles) If you are traveling during rush hour it will take quite a while!

It can be done cheaper; but with more work on your part.... If you are traveling on a weekday you can take a commuter train from Washington to Baltimore. The cost is $7 per person. Add to that the cost of the taxi from DCA to the Washington Union Station, and the taxi cost from Baltimore Penn station to the Inner harbor (that's not too far).

Aloha,

john

THanks John. We are traveling on the weekend. Both ways. I think we have it all figured out and if we did not have the luggage I know we would not have a problem with making the transfers from train to train to bus. It would be making sure we got back to the airport in time to depart New Years day!!

I don't know if I'd negotiate Metro (a very good system) with much baggage (escalators, elevators, etc.). Between DCA and Union Station you could take a taxi or Supershuttle. While MARC commute trains are cheaper than Amtrak to get between Union Station in DC and Baltimore Penn Station (from where you'd have to take a taxi), MARC trains don't run on weekends (and have little space for luggage, anyway). I haven't used a shuttle all the way from DCA to the cruise port (or hotel you're staying at in Baltimore). Amtrak will run New Years Day. Check http://www.amtrak.com for schedules. Shuttles may work out best for multiple days, especially on weekends when traffic should be light.

Archived