The "Worsterdam"

deer30084

We too were on this same cruise and our experience was also .not very impressive. After 3 days of problems, we used the term "cruise from hell" to describe our situation. The dining room was the start of the negatives as we had a table for 2 late seating booked and verified several times by us and our agent but found ourselves at something much different. The head waiters solution was anytime dining at 5.30 time. NOT! Between the Canaletto, the Lido and the ondeck barbeque we did eat but not as planned. Yes we did talk to the head waiter, yes we tried to contact the hotel manager all to no avail. Now the rest of the story. The handle was totally broken off our large main suitcase when arrived in our room [the room stewardess was there and first noted the problem] offered to take it for repairs and kept us updated. It was finally returned after departing Bonaire so we could not purchase a replacement. The only solution provided by the front desk was a blue gym bag type large enough for a few work out clothes and not a viable alternative to our needs.WOW! Excellent customer service to atone for their ruining our case. Never did get resolved as we had to buy smaller carryon bags in their store. Poor room service for breakfast [wrong items sent, cold foods, tang! no utensils} to start the list, cigar smokers beside us, and apprentice house movers above us constantly rearranging the furniture 24 hours a day sure added additional negatives. But the worst part was the lack of recognition of a problem by guest services. It appears to us that the Carnivalization of HAL has now taken place. The phone call to Seattle will happen today as we need a suitcase repaired or replaced and after our 9 HAL cruises and over 60 days, perhaps we can find someone who knows customer service. To be positive, our room stewards were superb and service and food in the Canaletto was as good as we have ever received on a cruise ship. Now get the flame throwers out all you HAL loyalists.

We too were on this same cruise and our experience was also .not very impressive. After 3 days of problems, we used the term "cruise from hell" to describe our situation. The dining room was the start of the negatives as we had a table for 2 late seating booked and verified several times by us and our agent but found ourselves at something much different. The head waiters solution was anytime dining at 5.30 time. NOT! Between the Canaletto, the Lido and the ondeck barbeque we did eat but not as planned. Yes we did talk to the head waiter, yes we tried to contact the hotel manager all to no avail. Now the rest of the story. The handle was totally broken off our large main suitcase when arrived in our room [the room stewardess was there and first noted the problem] offered to take it for repairs and kept us updated. It was finally returned after departing Bonaire so we could not purchase a replacement. The only solution provided by the front desk was a blue gym bag type large enough for a few work out clothes and not a viable alternative to our needs.WOW! Excellent customer service to atone for their ruining our case. Never did get resolved as we had to buy smaller carryon bags in their store. Poor room service for breakfast [wrong items sent, cold foods, tang! no utensils} to start the list, cigar smokers beside us, and apprentice house movers above us constantly rearranging the furniture 24 hours a day sure added additional negatives. But the worst part was the lack of recognition of a problem by guest services. It appears to us that the Carnivalization of HAL has now taken place. The phone call to Seattle will happen today as we need a suitcase repaired or replaced and after our 9 HAL cruises and over 60 days, perhaps we can find someone who knows customer service. To be positive, our room stewards were superb and service and food in the Canaletto was as good as we have ever received on a cruise ship. Now get the flame throwers out all you HAL loyalists.

Seems like you encountered similar problems, like no utensils with room service, etc. How could they put a tray together to bring to a room and not check to see that everything ordered is there to include necessary items like untensils? Maybe it's a cultural thing? Since you and I had the same problem, sounds like it's routine. I don't frequent restaurants that have poor service and I won't be frequenting HAL again.

Sorry the cruise was not up to your expectations. I think HAL and all lines are walking a fine line on staffing versus service. We have had a few meals over the years that took a while, maybe not a hour and a half but it felt like it.

Kirk

Since they decided to cut their staff and have their waiters serve more tables, SERVICE HAS FALTERED. I expect excellent service when I cruise. HAL doesn't have it. The old US Army propaganda was we can do more with less. Someone figured out that doesn't work. Maybe HAL will realize it in time too. In the meantime, HAL lost a customer.

Earlier in this thread, my review of the Westerdam was quoted. Just want to say that overall, we did have a great Westerdam cruise. I did mention that the waitstaff in the MDR are over stretched and overworked and the quality of some meals are not the same as in the past. We did not have to wait long periods of time for our food and the service was generally good. Also, we used the Neptune lounge frequently and had several special requests. Kaye and Fay were terrific and friendly.

That stinks you had a bad experience in the MDR on the first night, 90 minute wait for food had best be delivered by some SERIOUS eye candy that is mine for the night! ;) I've noticed that the MDR is the worst place to be the first night or two, we typically always hit a buffet or specialty restaurants on those nights because of the wait times.

Smokers on balconies, unless it is a smoke free line you're going to run into this now. As a non smoker it is an annoyance and it does bother my occasional asthma, but I'm not going to tell someone that they aren't free to destroy themselves in any way that they see fit.

Iam not a fan of room service, I'm too apt to let the dishes lay about and makes the room look too much like a pigsty when I do that. That is crazy embarrassing when someone else sees that.:eek::o

I'm sorry that your vacation wasn't all you hoped it to be.

Derek

I would have asked for a large discount on my next cruise if I was required to ask for a buter knife when ordering room service. I can not believe the ship is still allowed to sail. The ship should be drydocked and the crew sent back to school for atleast six months to learn how to properly attend to the passengers.

You are a very patient and good hearted person to have only made your opinion known in a comment card. I still do not know how you endured such a trip.

I suppose it could have been worse, they may have forgotten the saucer with the coffee but this is bad enough.

OMG this is the funniest reply I've ever read! :D Thank you for the laugh!

Wait-you were joking, right?

Derek

.............. It appears to us that the Carnivalization of HAL has now taken place.

............ Now get the flame throwers out all you HAL loyalists.

Seems to me as Carnival is the largest, most profitable and successful cruise line in the world, they may know where the thin line is in this economy on all their products, oops, cruise lines.......

Maybe when the economy picks up all cruise lines will improve.

I too was on this sailing. I thought the service in the MDR was a little slow as well, but not nearly as bad as the OP and we didn't have any complaints (were at the 8:00 seating). Did not use room service, so cannot comment on that. Also thought that the entertainment was below par, however that's not why we cruise. Overall, we had a wonderful time.

I am not a HAL apologist (this was only our second cruise with them), but I frankly don't understand how slow service on a few occasions in the MDR, while certainly not acceptable, would ruin someone's entire cruise experience. I guess I'm just a little more laid back than others. We would do it again.

I too was on this sailing. I thought the service in the MDR was a little slow as well, but not nearly as bad as the OP and we didn't have any complaints (were at the 8:00 seating). Did not use room service, so cannot comment on that. Also thought that the entertainment was below par, however that's not why we cruise. Overall, we had a wonderful time.

I am not a HAL apologist (this was only our second cruise with them), but I frankly don't understand how slow service on a few occasions in the MDR, while certainly not acceptable, would ruin someone's entire cruise experience. I guess I'm just a little more laid back than others. We would do it again.

True,the EXTREMELY SLOW MDR SERVICE and the POOR ROOM SERVICE on the Westerdam did not ruin our whole cruise experience. The MDR is one of the MAIN EXPERIENCES on the ship that SHOULD BE EXCEPTIONAL. It wasn't. However, we did enjoy Half Moon Cay, Curacao and Bonaire. I'll choose another cruiseline next time and if they demonstrate the same poor service, I'll tell you for sure.

I was waffling about taking acruise on the Westerdam and you convinced me.

I would have asked for a large discount on my next cruise if I was required to ask for a buter knife when ordering room service. I can not believe the ship is still allowed to sail. The ship should be drydocked and the crew sent back to school for atleast six months to learn how to properly attend to the passengers.

You are a very patient and good hearted person to have only made your opinion known in a comment card. I still do not know how you endured such a trip.

I suppose it could have been worse, they may have forgotten the saucer with the coffee but this is bad enough.

This thread reminds me of that great Monty Python sketch about the dirty fork!:)

I hope that my experience as expressed in my review is appreciated by someone else going on a cruise. It was written for others consideration. Anyone can take it for what it's worth. Of course others will not and may not have the same experience as I if they go on the Westerdam. My intent was to let everyone know my experience and what I thought. And in the future, I will choose a different cruiseline based on ONLY my dining experience on HAL. I never had that problem before on other cruises. If other cruiselines offer the same bad service I'll tell you. I have nothing personal against HAL in particular.,

I appreciate that you took the time and effort to post your observations. One person's idea of a bad experience may not necessarily be that of another.

I did find the MDR service on my 2 recent HAL cruises in May and September/October of this year to be a bit slow as well, but certainly not to the degree which you describe. It certainly can be annoying and therefore negate the pleasure of your dining experience, which is indeed to be a focal point of many cruises.

Happy cruising.

I was waffling about taking acruise on the Westerdam and you convinced me.

toleration is the key

did the same cruise 2 years in a row.

first time, we had the best wait staff and wine stewart ever.

we have a good time in the MDR and tend to be one of the last to leave.

it always takes 1.5 - 2 hrs for dinner.

others want to get out fast

appetizer

soup

salad

entree

dessert & coffee

not going to be fast

I want to converse with my friends and family and enjoy a leisurely dinner.

smaller tables do move faster than large ones

Within the last two weeks, those three ships had surprise USPH Inspections in Port Everglades and the scores they received are amazing.

Eurodam 100

Nieuw Amsterdam 100

Westerdam 99

CONGRATULATIONS All.........

WELL DONE !!!!

I hope there's a great party for crew on all those fine ships.

You are absolutely correct. The public restrooms, especially the one on the Lido deck was an absolute mess. Why? Because some drunken slob, probably the one who drank all the Budweiser, puked all over the urinal and toilet. Could it have been due to seasickness? Sure. They put a plastic trash bag over the urinal because it was no longer usable. Want a description of the toilet? I didn't think so. I saw a few people that were very drunk on that ship. Now I ask, why would anyone pay hundreds of dollars to go on a cruise just to get staggering drunk?

Given the choice, I think I'd wait a bit for my entree.

Roy

did the same cruise 2 years in a row.

first time, we had the best wait staff and wine stewart ever.

we have a good time in the MDR and tend to be one of the last to leave.

it always takes 1.5 - 2 hrs for dinner.

others want to get out fast

appetizer

soup

salad

entree

dessert & coffee

not going to be fast

I want to converse with my friends and family and enjoy a leisurely dinner.

smaller tables do move faster than large ones

When we go out to dinner, be it at home "on land," on vacation "on land," or on a cruise, we want it to be a special experience - we want to "dine," as it was called in the eras gone by. This is precisely why we don't eat dinner at the Lido - we want to have a very leisurely time to enjoy each course, enjoy conversation with each other and, if applicable, with tablemates/new friends. We don't want to feel rushed or hurried. We don't have an agenda at dinner, other than to enjoy the meal and the atmosphere, and the luxury of being able to eat things we didn't have to cook on dishes we don't have to clean, served by people who are (usually) very courteous, friendly and eager to please.

Slow down a little, I say! It's good for your blood pressure. :)

To the OP: enjoy your future cruises, on whatever line they may be. (I guess they won't be on RC either, huh?)

Awesome sketch, thanks! Love Monty Python humor:)

I suppose some Fawlty Towers skits would also be applicable to some service issues as well. Cruising is luck of the draw. We have had bad as well as good. HAL, X, Princess, Cunard. All have good points and bad. One experience might not be enough to deter me from a particular line but 2 might. I'm glad that posters still leave impressions on cruise critic despite detractors, flamers and rabid cheerleaders comments. We need them.

We love HAL especially Westerdam but have misgivings at times. For us the service, room or dining have not been among them. Food is another story and yes it has deteriorated from the 80s but so has the other lines. Hopefully this experience was an aberration. Good luck in your future cruises. Thanks for posting.

When we go out to dinner, be it at home "on land," on vacation "on land," or on a cruise, we want it to be a special experience - we want to "dine," as it was called in the eras gone by. This is precisely why we don't eat dinner at the Lido - we want to have a very leisurely time to enjoy each course, enjoy conversation with each other and, if applicable, with tablemates/new friends. We don't want to feel rushed or hurried. We don't have an agenda at dinner, other than to enjoy the meal and the atmosphere, and the luxury of being able to eat things we didn't have to cook on dishes we don't have to clean, served by people who are (usually) very courteous, friendly and eager to please.

To the OP: enjoy your future cruises, on whatever line they may be. (I guess they won't be on RC either, huh?)

This site is called CRUISE CRITIC for a reason. Oviously the hornets nest was stirred.

This site is called CRUISE CRITIC for a reason. Oviously the hornets nest was stirred.

Hold on now - and please don't call me rude - I have tried to help you.

If you are going to the MDR (Main Dining Room), then dinner will usually be at least one and 1/2 hours. that's the way it goes.

If you want to eat faster - no problem - head to the Lido and you will be done in no time. don't blame the messenger who simply stated the facts.

If you want dinner in 45 minutes, then don't do the main dining room.

and please don't talk about a hornet's nest and paint us all with one colour - some people have tried to help or give advice or explain.

But then again if you can't see the forest for the trees - it really doesn't matter - and if you don't choose to gleen a bit of info from it - your choice.

I have learned a lot on these boards - people are here to help - however calling them a hornets nest doesn't usually do it - hopefully you didn't take that approach on your cruise - if you did - then I understand why you had the issues you did:rolleyes:

Hold on now - and please don't call me rude - I have tried to help you.

If you are going to the MDR (Main Dining Room), then dinner will usually be at least one and 1/2 hours. that's the way it goes.

If you want to eat faster - no problem - head to the Lido and you will be done in no time. don't blame the messenger who simply stated the facts.

If you want dinner in 45 minutes, then don't do the main dining room.

and please don't talk about a hornet's nest and paint us all with one colour - some people have tried to help or give advice or explain.

But then again if you can't see the forest for the trees - it really doesn't matter - and if you don't choose to gleen a bit of info from it - your choice.

I have learned a lot on these boards - people are here to help - however calling them a hornets nest doesn't usually do it - hopefully you didn't take that approach on your cruise - if you did - then I understand why you had the issues you did:rolleyes:

You're way off base. Read my OP again and some of my responses to other peoples' comments on my OP which clarifies things somewhat. Most comments were from people "offended" by my candid critique. I think someone in this thread called them "cheerleaders." The cheerleaders, aka hornets nest, didin't like my criticism of their beloved HAL. The only want to hear the good stuff.

I suppose some Fawlty Towers skits would also be applicable to some service issues as well. Cruising is luck of the draw. We have had bad as well as good. HAL, X, Princess, Cunard. All have good points and bad. One experience might not be enough to deter me from a particular line but 2 might. I'm glad that posters still leave impressions on cruise critic despite detractors, flamers and rabid cheerleaders comments. We need them.

We love HAL especially Westerdam but have misgivings at times. For us the service, room or dining have not been among them. Food is another story and yes it has deteriorated from the 80s but so has the other lines. Hopefully this experience was an aberration. Good luck in your future cruises. Thanks for posting.

Thank you for your respectable comments.

I doubt Carnival either! Below is a post by the OP on 9/6/09 regarding the Carnival Fascination. At least the restrooms were clean on the Westerdam!

Maybe cruising isn't for everyone.......

Originally Posted by deer30084 viewpost.gif

You are absolutely correct. The public restrooms, especially the one on the Lido deck was an absolute mess. Why? Because some drunken slob, probably the one who drank all the Budweiser, puked all over the urinal and toilet. Could it have been due to seasickness? Sure. They put a plastic trash bag over the urinal because it was no longer usable. Want a description of the toilet? I didn't think so. I saw a few people that were very drunk on that ship. Now I ask, why would anyone pay hundreds of dollars to go on a cruise just to get staggering drunk?

So sorry you did not have a great cruise, it can happen, we were very fortunate on our Hawaii, French Polynessia Cruise to have had fabulous service, we had no complaints. This trip was our best so far and we are looking forward to trying other HAL ships. The Cruise Critic members and our co-ordinator made such a huge difference for us. It was the first time we actually got involved with CC and have no regrets, we made lots of friends and are looking to continue our friendship through cruises and correspondence.

Archived