Beware of buying jewerly in the gift shop on the ship

In April I sailed Serenade and purchased a $60. ring in the shops on board the ship. Two days after returning home, the ring lost one of it's stones (The first time I wore it). I put it in it's box with the receipt to return on my next sailing. I just got off Jewel December 5th, and they would not exchange the ring for me even though they had several rings from the same company (but not the one I had purchased). They said I had to return it to Serenade within 60 days of the purchase. I would not mind if it was a $10 dollar piece of jewerly but you should get more than one wearing out of a $60. piece of costume jewerly. I was very polite with the staff and said "thank you" and went on enjoying my vacation. Of course I will sail RCI in the future. This did not spoil my trip in any way. However ~ I will NEVER buy another piece of jewerly -costume or real - in the shops on board. They do not stand behind their product. Or at least Jewel does not! Just wanted to let everyone know so they can make an informed decision before they buy. I do intend to write to RCI about this. If anyone knows the address of the best person to write to please email me or post it.

Thanks so much and happy cruising!

E-Beth

. They do not stand behind their product. Or at least Jewel does not!

I think all that stuff is sold by a private company and not Royal Caribbean is it not?

Not that that makes you feel any better :o I would be upset too. 60.00 is not a lot of money to some folks but it is to me.

When was your trip on the Serenade when you bought the ring, if a while has passed I can see them not wanting to replace it on a different ship, they have no way of telling when the stone fell out, I would have contacted RCI when it happened.

In April I sailed Serenade and purchased a $60. ring in the shops on board the ship. Two days after returning home, the ring lost one of it's stones (The first time I wore it). I put it in it's box with the receipt to return on my next sailing. I just got off Jewel December 5th, and they would not exchange the ring for me even though they had several rings from the same company (but not the one I had purchased). They said I had to return it to Serenade within 60 days of the purchase. I would not mind if it was a $10 dollar piece of jewerly but you should get more than one wearing out of a $60. piece of costume jewerly. I was very polite with the staff and said "thank you" and went on enjoying my vacation. Of course I will sail RCI in the future. This did not spoil my trip in any way. However ~ I will NEVER buy another piece of jewerly -costume or real - in the shops on board. They do not stand behind their product. Or at least Jewel does not! Just wanted to let everyone know so they can make an informed decision before they buy. I do intend to write to RCI about this. If anyone knows the address of the best person to write to please email me or post it.

Thanks so much and happy cruising!

E-Beth

Yeah, right like everyone will be returning in 60 days.

That is just wrong!!

A friend of ours purchased a piece of jewelry and like yours something broke on it. So she boxed it up with the receipt and took it with her on the next cruise. They exchanged it with no problem.

Sorry they would not let you exchange it for something else.

Love your attitude about it.....it shows what a nice person you are! :)

You can tell the OP has been around for awhile. She is savy enough to know that she had better include the part about not letting this ruin her trip or keeping her from sailing RCI again. One should never voice a complaint around here without adding that disclaimer.;):D:D

FYI: I took a huge gamble and bought a rather expensive diamond and tanzanite right aboard the Oasis last April. Happy to report that I had it appraised to make sure diamonds were real, etc. It all checked out!

Before doing so, I had to ship it off to Florida to be resized and it took about half the published time to have it returned to me.

Sorry to hear that your jewelry-shopping experience was less favorable!

Archived