Attessa IV

PD - we have to quit aging ourselves here on these boards by remembering the great things about growing up here on the wet west coast.

The reason my friend's dad frequented Troll's so often was that he was a log buyer and went out of Horseshoe Bay regularly.

Speaking of Troll's and their attempts to expand - for some reason they never seemed to be able to get the quality to taste the same - I ate once at the one on the waterfront in White Rock and it was no way as good as the Horseshoe Bay experience.

Cheers

Dennis

Gary was young and ambitious (weren't we all) and I think he saw that they had a good product and wanted to be the Ivar Smith of the Vancouver market. It was a time of great expansion in our market, he had landlords lined up wanting him in their shopping centres offering him great deals but at the end of the day he just couldn't pull it off. But to his credit he tried.

At this point, memory is just a tiny bit hazy but I seem to recall that Gary's expansion

attempts included a small brewery and that part of the reason it didn't go anywhere

was due in large part to his selection of partners in the ventures.

I also vaguely recall that there was a boat rental on the shore at Ambleside and it could

well have involved a ramp type launching system.

Our family boat had an inboard similar to the B&S and also steered with a rope system

running around inside the gunwhales. It made numerous trips to Bowen Island on summer

weekends when not fishing off Cape Roger Curtis.

• 2 weeks later...

Been quiet on hear for awhile as let me stir up the pot with a little scuttlebutt I picked up while waiting for the ferry at Departure Bay on Sunday.

It was extremely busy in the Marketplace as both routes were sailing within fifteen minutes of each other.

I happened to comment I wondered when Duke Point might reopened - the response from a ferry goer was like this.

Perhaps in the next week or two as BC Ferries feels that they can handle both loads during the off-season and really only needs Duke Point in the busier summer season.

While the truckers don't like the hassle of going through Nanaimo I wonder how much of a savings to BC Ferries it would be to do as was suggested.

Over to you guys

A cruise across the Strait is still a cruise so this is on topic.

Cheers

Dennis

We have started to collapse the tent here and will be back in Sechelt by the 15th.

DW has the flu.

We had friends here this past weekend, they left Tuesday morning in their motorhome, they returned Tuesday morning with mechanical problems, we were down in Phoenix all day yesterday trying to get a part repaired or replaced, the motorhome is still in the hospital and they are camped out here.

Joy!

I won't be much on the boards until after we get home.

• 3 weeks later...

Starts in earnest this weekend - i think there are three ships this weekend - while the new route of the Vancouver Marathon has less impact on the exiting of Canada Place the convention center is the hub of the post race activites - with 15,000 runners, plus coaches, volunteers and fans it will be busy in the port area.

Cheers

Dennis

You are close, one tomorrow, one on each Friday & Saturday and two on Sunday. The big weekends are the two following weekends with May 19 being the 4 ship day....I can hear the complaints already.:eek: In any event I must get my sleep now as I gardnerdude these days dodging raindrops...hope to get out on the links next week.

Edited by Putterdude

• 2 weeks later...

I see that BC Ferries just announced that the coast savers fares are back for awhile - good on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday - $39.95 car + $9.95 driver and passengers - just might have to take a little jaunt over one of these weekends.

Also noticed that the we will do anything to try and stay in power government just gave an increase subsidy to BC Ferries and is limiting fare increases to 4.5 % which is just about double the inflation rate.

Cheers

Dennis

Our fares went up 4.2% in March plus a fuel surcharge of $1.85 snuck back in over the winter. However, no fare increases for Transclunck let the people who don't use it pay for it. Plus they have the experimental model of BCF... increase fares and ridership drops.

Oh well the ferry fare increases and surcharges at least help keep the riff raff away.:)

Actually there will be a fare increase on translink - while they weren't allowed to raise the monthly passes or fare savers which is the biggest part of their transit revenue - they are allowed to increase cash fares by up to 10% if I remember correctly with that increase coming into effective next year - we also recently had another two cents a liter tacked onto our gas tax.

As I will become a member of the club later in the year I wonder how much revenue BC Ferries foregos by allowing us poor pensioners to travel free as foot passengers mid week.

Off for a little bike ride and to look at a couple of cruise ships at Canada Place.

Cheers

Dennis

While out on the bike today around Stanley Park it appears that a cruise ship is in drydock at Vancouver Shipyards - it's not a really big one - I know Regency Seven Seas was here the other day and isn't scheduled back into Canada Place until the 30th - could it be that ship.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Your intrepid navel gazer or is the nasal gazer....reporting in. We have had a smallish cruise ship going up and down in the strait for the past several hours and now is rather close to Nanaimo. My VHF radio is not charged (must do that one day) but I am guessing that it is Seven Seas Navigator on sea trials....anyone know anything?

Yes, I know she has been in the yard and believe embarks pax tomorrow. So if they did anything substantial to her they would want to exercise her a bit, swing the compasses, and if a lot of changes have been made there is a requirement (I believe Lloyd's) to sail her empty to check ballast, plimsoll lines, how she rights herself under certain conditions, etc.

That would be my call as well - supposed to be at Canada Place tomorrow.

Kings or Devils in the final?

She has been up, down and across a couple of times now.... but she is off the radar right now.

You know I haven't watched a full hockey game since the Canucks went out...but I think the Kings are going to be pretty hard to beat.

Just noticed yesterday while out for a short bike ride that the DE Dutch Pancake people are opening a new outlet at the convention center - water side next to Trevor's Linden's Club 16 fitness center.

They are calling the new waterfront location - Burrard Landing - for those unfamiliar with this chain here is a link to there web site.:

http://www.dedutch.com/menus/

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker