Attessa IV

Now, maybe you can tell us which ships for the Royal Canadian Navy were awarded to west coast yards....as I read and saw, they all went east....we got the coast guard vessels.

The "Joint Support Ship" projects; as tendered by the navy.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/canada-issues-rfp-for-cdn-29b-joint-support-ship-project-updated-02392/

As for restrooms, just how does a disabled person handle the stairs on the QB? You forget as an ablebodied person that this is a matter that is of major concern in my family as it should be for any aware person. As I read BCF's press release, restroom facilities will be provided on the car deck of the BQ, given there are currently no restrooms on that deck one might surpise that it will be portapotties...I just ad-libbed from there.

They use the porta-johns provided by BC Ferries. For some reason you don't seem to care when this vessel serves other routes, but when it serves a route you care about, you kick up a big fuss. For many years the BQ was the SWB-FUL vessel, and I can't ever remember the Saltspring ridership being even given the option of a porta-john on board.

With respect to trashing the vessel, I plead innocent but maybe you can point out where in this thread that I have.

And I quote "...seems that we on the wet coast can no longer build a ship with..."

Please don't get me into an accounting debate, lest I bring up that very heavily subsidized transit ride you enjoy at least twice each day at the expense of tax payers in Metro Vancouver...gosh when was there a transit rate increase or a fuel subsidy last?:rolleyes:

Why not? The last numbers I could find (Wikipedia) was $83m to run Skytrain (BCRTC Expo/Millenium) for 73m boardings, or $1.14/person/ride. Given the cost of a two zone ticket is $110/month for a person to go to-from work every work-day in a month, or approx 48 rides, it appears that a person like me contributes to the system quite nicely.

The "Joint Support Ship" projects; as tendered by the navy.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/canada-issues-rfp-for-cdn-29b-joint-support-ship-project-updated-02392/

I confess I did think of the support vessels. I was more focused on the 33 billion that went to the Irving's rather then our $8 billion.

They use the porta-johns provided by BC Ferries. For some reason you don't seem to care when this vessel serves other routes, but when it serves a route you care about, you kick up a big fuss. For many years the BQ was the SWB-FUL vessel, and I can't ever remember the Saltspring ridership being even given the option of a porta-john on board.

Now where did I express an opion re portapoties on other routes? However, the Saltspring Island run is 35 mins the Saltery Bay run is 50 mins almost 43% longer and in the case of some folks on a cold wintery morning could be pushing bladder limits after an hour's drive from Sechelt. That aside I only made mention of the portapoties in a jovial manner you are the one who seems to be kicking up the fuss.

And I quote "...seems that we on the wet coast can no longer build a ship with..."

Hardly trashing the ship, albeit it is well known in the fleet that the ship has issues beyond the elevator.

Why not? The last numbers I could find (Wikipedia) was $83m to run Skytrain (BCRTC Expo/Millenium) for 73m boardings, or $1.14/person/ride. Given the cost of a two zone ticket is $110/month for a person to go to-from work every work-day in a month, or approx 48 rides, it appears that a person like me contributes to the system quite nicely.

Wikipedia is all of a sudden the expert, where did their information come from. Now from Translink's own 2010 statments, Transit Fare Revenue .... $438 mil. Cost to Operate Transit $836 mil. The fare box hardly contributed 50% of the cost of operation. Where did the shortfall come from? Well Local Taxation $690 mil, Senior Gov't Subsidy $19 mil. You didn't, answer the question; when did the transit user last face fare increase or fuel subsidy?

Wikipedia is all of a sudden the expert, where did their information come from. Now from Translink's own 2010 statments, Transit Fare Revenue .... $438 mil. Cost to Operate Transit $836 mil. The fare box hardly contributed 50% of the cost of operation. Where did the shortfall come from? Well Local Taxation $690 mil, Senior Gov't Subsidy $19 mil. You didn't, answer the question; when did the transit user last face fare increase or fuel subsidy?

In the case of the Skytrain which I take every day, it's very cost efficient (not to mention being much greener than a car); whereas other transit services (like Handy Dart) have extremely high per-ride costs. Much in the same way that you [sometimes] live on the Sunshine coast where the ferry costs are subsidized, and other routes (notably SWB-TSW) make a large profit; which goes toward providing some of that subsidy.

Saying that I cost the system and require large subsidies by riding Skytrain, turns out to be a false statement.

In reviewing the financial statements of Tran slink it does not appear that the operational results of SkyTrain and it operating company BC Rapid Transit are isolated within the statements. I wonder why? That aside SkyTrain is part of the huge financial drain that only operates as a result of huge subsidies from the public purse....enjoy your ride and be grateful for the taxpayers of Metro Vancouver.

You still haven't answered the question re fare Translink fare increases and fuel supplements? Additionally, why aren't fare increases levied more often...you know much like BCF does?

PD - Translink has been operating I believe on a three year fare basis - next increase I think is due sometime next year. Looks like Duke Point could be out for some time - looks like that German steel was pretty strong.

Cheers

Dennis

Getting back to the original part of this thread I wonder if the owner ever gives tours since it is such a unique vessel in this part of the world.

A number of years ago a friend of mine got a chance to see the inside of Jimmy's yacht and it was quite something.

Cheers

Dennis

I'll take some pics when he drops a hook in Trail Bay....not sure who's turn it is to buy at Gilligan's, but suspect he will think it is my turn.:D

We just threw the Gilligan's manager/owner out of the mayor's chair in Sechelt and before you ask Sechelt is progressive enough to allow mail-in ballots which is provided for under the Local Government Act so DW and I got to vote from here in AZ.:)

http://www.webology.ca/case-studies/gilligans-pub-family-business-with-a-twist/

Happy to hear that, while it has been permitted under the LGA for at least the past 3 years and I now know the Vancouver Charter, it was something that had to be adopted by the individual municipalities and not all did...the council of Town of Gibsons for instance turned it down. It took some effort for municipalities to get ballots out to the electorate that requested them and I commend them for their effort; our for instance came priority post and was delivered to our door.

Yep, great game....got to get back to it. Tomorrow is golf and pack then we head for San Diego on Friday morning for our cruise on Saturday. I haven't driven to San Diego in years so have the GPS programmed and Mapquest printed as a back-up.

In reviewing the financial statements of Tran slink it does not appear that the operational results of SkyTrain and it operating company BC Rapid Transit are isolated within the statements. I wonder why? That aside SkyTrain is part of the huge financial drain that only operates as a result of huge subsidies from the public purse....enjoy your ride and be grateful for the taxpayers of Metro Vancouver.

You still haven't answered the question re fare Translink fare increases and fuel supplements? Additionally, why aren't fare increases levied more often...you know much like BCF does?

Someone else answered for me, they operate on a multi year plan for fare increases, and their service plan.

And where are you getting your facts for "...SkyTrain is part of the huge financial drain...", or is that just a general statement that you think might be true. Due to the driverless nature of Skytrain, it's extremely efficient to operate once it's built. There are a number of things that Translink is now forced to do with downloading of costs from the province, such as build & maintain roads and bridges, which also comes out of the same 'transit' subsidies.

Also, when your friend ties up and you get to visit him, be sure to remind him of your opinion, that BC [and his company - who built the Island Sky] hasn't been able to build decent vessels for years, despite the fact his company just won a multi-billion dollar order from the federal government.

Someone else answered for me, they operate on a multi year plan for fare increases, and their service plan.

And in the meantime they tax the population of Metro Vancouver at will....be it in the form of property taxes, Hydro surcharges, gas taxes and parking taxes because if they adjusted fares to be even 50% of the real cost they know what would happen.

And where are you getting your facts for "...SkyTrain is part of the huge financial drain...", or is that just a general statement that you think might be true. Due to the driverless nature of Skytrain, it's extremely efficient to operate once it's built.

Being part of Transclunk it needs needs some $836m from the public purse to survive (oop's poor choice of words....operate). Its parent company in its financial statements represents both to be the case, as just a humble citizen I can only rely on the information provided in the financial statements. I have not reviewed the BCF statements but those in the know advise me that BCF amortizes capital costs, in accordance with GAP, against the various routes...however if I follow your logic, Transclunk shouldn't have to....but then again you ride for 1/3 of what the real cost is.... so who am I to argue..

Also, when your friend ties up and you get to visit him, be sure to remind him of your opinion, that BC [and his company - who built the Island Sky] hasn't been able to build decent vessels for years, despite the fact his company just won a multi-billion dollar order from the federal government.

Well as the BC yards have only built 4 ships of any consequence in what, the past 10 years or so, with 3 leaving in disgrace and only 1 remaining in service and has issues including being at least 18 months late in delivery .... well what would you suggest I say to my bud....??

With that I am going to bed, the Canucks have won and to quote one PET "the world is unfolding as it should"...except for the part about me shooting a par round tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Perhaps our friend was not living in Vancouver at the time but it was a Mayor by the name of Gordon Campbell with the support of most of the GVRD that wanted local control of transportation to be decided in the region and a Premier named Clark and a cabinet minister by the name of McPhail who brought in the original legislation - hardly a down loading as they are also rebating some of the gas tax revenue back to the region.

Cheers

Dennis

Perhaps our friend was not living in Vancouver at the time but it was a Mayor by the name of Gordon Campbell with the support of most of the GVRD that wanted local control of transportation to be decided in the region and a Premier named Clark and a cabinet minister by the name of McPhail who brought in the original legislation - hardly a down loading as they are also rebating some of the gas tax revenue back to the region.

I don't understand why you're saying Translink needed $800m+ in government subsidy, but implying it's all for Skytrain, or even transit, when knowing full well it isn't. As I've said before, I'll say it again -- because it appears to be getting lost [making it big and bold doesn't necessarily make it true]; the Skytrain system has very low operating costs compared with the number of riders, which makes it an excellent long-term investment.

I don't understand why you're saying Translink needed $800m+ in government subsidy, but implying it's all for Skytrain, or even transit, when knowing full well it isn't. As I've said before, I'll say it again -- because it appears to be getting lost [making it big and bold doesn't necessarily make it true]; the Skytrain system has very low operating costs compared with the number of riders, which makes it an excellent long-term investment.

And when you ride for a third of what Transclunk says it costs, per their very public statements, you don't really want to understand it is all one system much like BCF and you saying otherwise doesn't make it true. The difference is that BCF provides to the public information relating to the financial details of the individual routes. Maybe it's time for Transclunk to be pressured into providing greater disclosure in their statements but until then it is into the public purse for $836,000,0000 and that is a lot of zeros.

while reading this I am reminded of a quote or partial quote attributed to a famous American Astronaut....something about ..

Sitting on top of a Rocket built by the lowest builder....

Merry Christmas to you verbal combatants..

PS

I would like a tour of the Attessa IV if that can be arranged just make sure it's on a weekday with free Sr. fares if I have to use a ferry to get there....:p

Happy New Year to the owner and crew of this ship -perhaps some day in the future some of us will be fortunate to get a tour - well if you don't dream you can't believe and if you don't believe you can't succeed.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...