Attessa IV

Interesting article Ut....that should put us back at or above Seattle.

I have been tied up with two DGD ages 5 and 8 who decided they wanted to have a "girls week" with Grandma. Well it doesn't quite work that way here....Grandma does the arts and crafts with them but Grandpa does all the other entrainment be it feeding ducks, aquatic centre, beach, soccer, .... we delivered them back to there respective parents on the weekend at a get together in Courtenay, got home late yesterday evening and collapsed.

Had 4 rides on the Island Sky, the elevator now works. :) Two rides on the Queen of Coquitlam, it is not in the greatest of shape given that her mid-life upgrade is only about 8 years old. Two rides on the Queen of Burnaby, not in bad shape but its interior is dated....we were given a special tour of the ship which was rather fun but pretty basic stuff.

Normally after reading such an entertaining post I would suggest that you and DW need to get away on a cruise but I see that you have that angle already covered with your cruise leaving in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you doctor, that is exactly what we need. We are out of here a week Sunday flying to London then directly down to Southampton. We get back on the 9/21 which will allow time for a few rounds of golf then it is time to start folding the Sechelt tent for the trek south to the winter casa.

I thought that now we had messed up the Vancouver hotel thread pretty good, I would come over here to continue to CRUISE down memory lane. The Rtiz at one point was owned by the family I worked for....that was a long time ago.

And speaking of cruising at about 4:30 yesterday, I got down the suitcases and given that BA only allows 1 checked checked bag each DW decided that one of our bags was just a little small.....we observe the dress code and take a tux, nice dresses, etc. So rather than argue or be sitting with egg on face Saturday afternoon when she proved herself correct, I checked web, found Sears was having a luggage sale (aren't they always). Phoned Capilano Mall...were to busy and not very helpful, phoned the ancient MetroTown store...they had at least 3 in stock. At 4:45 very tired from playing golf, I said "I think we could make the 5:30", cursed every slow poke on Hwy 101, made it to Langdale within 4 mins of them closing the gate. Off to the quaint Chinese village of MetroTown, found the old Simpsons-Sears store hiding in amongst the maze of it all. Located luggage department right inside front door. Bought new suitcase back on 8:40, home and in bed by 10:00. Now ferry fare was $36.50 (seniors ride for free Mon-Thurs), now suitcase with tax $201, a couple of so called White Spot "Monty mushroom burgers" and shared fries $17.50, then there is the fuel cost....I think other than the "egg in face" it would have been cheaper to pay the Brits the $50 each way for the extra bag....but then I only know the old math.

Did you forget or not know that the downtown Sears is closing and they had luggage on at good clearance prices - whether they had anything left was is another matter but they did have a bunch on the main floor a few days ago and of course since this was DW`s idea you of course used her credit card to pay for it.

Cheers

Dennis

Did you forget or not know that the downtown Sears is closing and they had luggage on at good clearance prices Yes I did, in fact the Sears agency store suggested that but didn't know what they had, wasn't sure if I could speak with anyone and I didn't want to be running around - whether they had anything left was is another matter but they did have a bunch on the main floor a few days ago and of course since this was DW`s idea you of course used her credit card to pay for it Yeah, sure she paid for the ferry, dinner and the gas as well.

Cheers

Dennis

If only BCF gave frequent flyer points, I am sure I would be at the top of the heap for the past few weeks.

Frequent ferry points. What would it cost them? Could be linked to the bcf experience card. We have a couple of trips planned in the next two weeks and I'd like to be earning them.

Too bad about the suitcase. DW picked up a new set at the Boeing flight centre that has a huge case, four bags for about 125. But you did get a cruise or two out of it ;)

Was in North Vancouver on Sunday and saw the original of this thread's namesake tied up at Lonsdale Quay (photo centre). This is the mini version (before the 'IV' drip added growth hormone?); possibly she still awaits a new lord and master.

Atessalr.jpg.ed44118e8d8b1c0579cdcd7ebd7b6089.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A while back there was a discussion re NEXUS on a thread I am unable to find. So hear goes:

Our second cards were due to expire in the next few months so I contacted Blaine (you can't get an answer of leave a message downtown or at YVR) and they told me that if they had our finger prints and iris scans they were mailing renewal cards to applicants....this proved not to be the case.

We applied for our renewals, paid the fees and about a month later were advised that we had been approved but would have to come in for an interview. Appointment dates were well into November and long after we would be in AZ. Again I phoned Blaine and they said no problem, with a renewal we could go into any office and they would do the interview if we were willing to wait for an available officer.

So on Sept. 2nd we went out to YVR a few hours early, went to the NEXUS office, explained what we were up to and were being interviewed within 15 mins. By the way CBSA takes a much more of a role in the interview process then they used to and you are now instructed to advise them of and an DL renewals, passport renewals, change of addresses.....

We were in Big Smoke for the weekend and as porsena posted the Attessa 3 was tied up in the vicinity of Lonsdale quay and as we were traveling along the Low Road in North Vancouver I noticed what appeared to be the Attessa 4 tied up to the east of Vancouver Shipyards.

On Sunday I had to giggle over what I believe was the last leg of a RVYC regatta, everyone was sitting in English Bay going absolutely nowhere fast, there was not a breath of wind to be had.:)

PD - did you have a great cruise - guess that is why the boards were quiet for awhile and last week I did a short 5 day repo down to LA - got an upgrade to a balcony thanks to a significent price drop.

I am now officially a member of the Old Farts league having turned 65 last Friday.

Dropped by ICBC agent and am now paying less for auto insurance.

Cheers

Dennis

Well happy birthday....now you have that wonderful gold card and both pensions....however I guess the the OAP won't show up until the end of this month, the good news in that your estate gets the get the one after you croak.;)

Yes we had a good cruise, you will be happy to know the Grand was grand however as there was over 2,000 Brits on the cruise the vegetables were over cooked and mushy, the meat tough and the entertainment except for the production shows was as poor as we have ever experienced on a Princess cruise....I mean 4 nights of a Celtic fiddle player as good as she was ..... well, was a bit over the top.

Happy belated Birthday Dennis

Glad you enjoyed your repo cruise .. I found my new suitcase on sale at Surrey Place for $29. and it is horrible green - I had said any colour but black or dark blue - I was actually thinking hot pink with poka dots so that it would stand out on the conveyor belts and in the warehouses of luggage after a cruise...

Been looking at doing a Caribbean in March but cannot do anything till after Dad sees the Dr in January .... The cruise I would love is the Solstice repo from Barcelona to Singapore and it just keeps getting cheaper - however the dates put it right out of the picture for us due to work committments here. Of well less than a year now to 65 and freedom - yes the countdown is on (only 355 days to go) :)

It was only 24 hrs and 14 mins ago that you were denying blame for the increasing ferry fares as you would only be using the canoes once or twice a year....well the meter is now running and big bro is counting.;)

thinking the same thing lol. It's a good thing I live out here or I'd be going free as often as I could. I would of course buy something on board to support the cause though.

thinking the same thing lol. It's a good thing I live out here or I'd be going free as often as I could. I would of course buy something on board to support the cause though.

not the food, I hope not the food....although the mushroom burger lover in this house says the Monty burger is not bad and all of the DGC swear that the Rice Crispy squares are delicious....so it's buy them the squares or something in the gift shop that starts at $20...the squares keep them busy for the whole trip and if we are returning them, they are on a wonderful sugar high as we turn them over to their mommies and daddies....being a grandparent is so much fun.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in and keeping this thread from falling to far off the first page.

PD - you must be getting close to folding the tent and heading south - particularly since the rains have returned and look to be here for awhile.

Am starting to see the benefits of getting old - just got my renewal notice for my extended medical benefits and it will be down by $40.00 a month starting in Jan.

It`s a little over 100 days until I sail on the Grand Princess for a long 49 days - trying not to get excited so as to keep the stress level under control.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, the tent is coming down and we are about 13 days from departure...but who counts. With all the nice weather I am well advanced on the folding, I need about 2 or 3 days to finish things up in the garden and get things stored away in the garage. Even have a t-time for Monday (maybe) and a trip into town on Wednesday.

Wow, I am surprised that your extended heath premiums would come down after 65 but good on you.

If I was going on the 49 day cruise....I would be excited....what's the matter with you.;)