Beach near the port?

FraudBroad

I will be in Roatan on the 20th, arriving on the NCL Star. I believe we dock at Coxen Hole, not Mahogany Bay (though I could be wrong).

Is there a beach near the port that we can hang out at? I've heard great things about Bananarama, but was really looking for something easy and close by that wouldn't cost $30 each!

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Natalie

I understood direct booking are not allowed...I wondered what the price though the ship is.

How many in your party? If less then five you could take the mini bus to West End and the water taxi to West Bay...then pay one of the resorts their day fee...or not. But that is a long was from simple.

I have always though Bananarama had the best deal going. Mostly cause transport is included.

If my some happenstance you land at Mahogany Bay..the beach is easy.

As an added bit of info, Coxen Hole is on the wrong side of the island for the nice beaches, though I have hear someone say there is a bit of sandy area in Flowers Bay...ya could just walk down to see.

I understood direct booking are not allowed...I wondered what the price though the ship is.

How many in your party? If less then five you could take the mini bus to West End and the water taxi to West Bay...then pay one of the resorts their day fee...or not. But that is a long was from simple.

I have always though Bananarama had the best deal going. Mostly cause transport is included.

If my some happenstance you land at Mahogany Bay..the beach is easy.

As an added bit of info, Coxen Hole is on the wrong side of the island for the nice beaches, though I have hear someone say there is a bit of sandy area in Flowers Bay...ya could just walk down to see.

Thanks for the information!

I am a bit leary of taking the mini buses because it's just me and my two girls.

I'm looking infor Bananarama and think that's probably what we'll end up doing.

Kind of hoping to dock in Mahogany Bay...would make life SO much easier!

Regards,

Natalie

Perhaps you should have booked the Carnival Legend which will be in Mahogany Bay that day. NCL Star will be in Coxen Hole.

But do go with Bananarama, the driver is very consciencious and there are outdoor showers to wash the sand off. You can stroll along the beach to other places. If you snorkel, there are independent guys you can hire to take a boat out to the reef up around the West End. Food is pretty good and pretty reasonable too. But you need to book that now since you're short on time.

A co-worker of mine and his family will be on board with you. They're looking forward to the cruise but I think they're "playing it safe" and booking all ship excursions.

• 2 weeks later...

2010 we came in at Mahogony Bay, taxi was $25 per person round trip and its further away from Tabyana Beach in West End than the original cruise dock. Have you tried sending an email to Banarama directly to see what they would charge, $30 seems high but think it may include a couple of drinks as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the information!

I am a bit leary of taking the mini buses because it's just me and my two girls.

I'm looking infor Bananarama and think that's probably what we'll end up doing.

Kind of hoping to dock in Mahogany Bay...would make life SO much easier!

Regards,

Natalie

If you want to sit on a crowded man made beach, Mahogany Bay is ok, It also has a shopping corral, where passengers are herded into a mall like experience.

Since you're docking at Coxen's Hole, you are much closer to the West End Beach strip. Either book through the ship, you get transporation, a free drink and a beach lounger for maybe $30 -35 pp. Or you can walk outside the pier parking lot, turn left, and begin to negotiate with a local cab driver, who will take you to another less crowded part of West End beach RT for maybe $25/30 for 4 people, but you'll pay for any "extras" at the resort you get dropped off at. Either way enjoy!

Archived