POM walking from one ship to another

NW Pacific

Will be getting off NCL-Dawn and getting on Carnival-Valor same day- anyone experience the walking distance from one ship to the other? Have departed and arrived in miami before but paid no attention to what it would be like to go from one shipline to another. Any suggestions/ thanks

Walking from one terminal to another within POM is easy enough unless your baggage makes walking awkward.

That's why I wouldn't do it if you are not at the same terminal because you have to cross a road to get between two of the terminals I am thinking of.

Again, I think the original poster will be fine because often these two ships use the same terminal.

Keith

From what I have been able to find out, NCL will use Terminal C and Carnival D or E. Have no idea the distance apart. We are able (thankfully) to wheel our luggage. Not sure if a taxi will even take us, since it is inside the Port area?? Last time we went from the Port to a close by downtown hotel and the driver was NOT Happy.

Don't know how to look up if there is an "inner port shuttle" that runs between terminals. any suggestions? thanks

When you arrive you'll just have to see where the two terminals are.

If you can wheel your luggage you may be able to do it depending on the two terminals.

If this is your first time you may want to take the taxi.

My wife and I do a lot of walking and actually walk from downtown Miami over to the cruise terminal and back but we are very familiar with getting around and do this without luggage. For some it might seem confusing getting between a couple of these terminals (it depends which two) as it is not so clear how to cross between a couple of them and you'll be pulling luggage but you might find you can do it. So, just wait till that day to figure it out.

Keith

NW Pacific, I thought a picture might help.

If you were trying to get between the ships on the one side to the one on the other side this is what I am talking about. It is walkable but you have to know what you are doing to avoid the highway. We've done it before and we walk under the highway but we've done it without luggage. If we had luggage I would probably just take a cab but you'll just have to decide when you are there. There are no terminal shuttles.

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/library/cruise_guide2011-2012.pdf

On a related note we will be there later this month and we're spending several days for a pre cruise and I know we'll be walking over to the Port (not with luggage) as we do often for the exercise. So, I'll take another look with the thought of someone walking with between the areas with the five or so ships to the other side and give you another opinion of how that might work with luggage in hand.

Keith

if you get in a taxi and ask for this .... YES, the driver is gonna be pissed

he stands in the taxi line expecting an airport fare

you are a 100 yard fare .... which then sends him to the end of the line . . . .

all but one of the Miami terminals are in a line . . . probability is you can walk and drag your bags

or tip the cab $20 cuz you screw'd him . . .

I certainly had no intention for "screwing over" the taxi driver, that is why I had posted seveal times that I did not think taking a taxi would be our first choice.

BUT a taxi could make out big time, getting back in line so FAST after a 100 yrd trip, and am sure quoting a fare of minimum??? so be it.

Thanks for other posters, did get an email back from POM, says it shoud be about a 4-6 city block walk , think we can handle that. Does not seem we have to cross the "highway" but if so, will have plenty of time.

There's no highway to cross between POM cruise terminals.

If you look at the photo that I provided one of the terminals is not directly connected with the other two. I have been there. They are on both sides of a road. You can avoid walking on that road but you have to know your way to do this by going underneath. It is doable as I said but it depends how much luggage you have and whether or not you have any mobility issues. Ideally, it is better to take a taxi. I have walked this area several times and will do so in a couple of weeks.

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami...e2011-2012.pdf

Keith

I certainly had no intention for "screwing over" the taxi driver, that is why I had posted seveal times that I did not think taking a taxi would be our first choice.

BUT a taxi could make out big time, getting back in line so FAST after a 100 yrd trip, and am sure quoting a fare of minimum??? so be it.

Thanks for other posters, did get an email back from POM, says it shoud be about a 4-6 city block walk , think we can handle that. Does not seem we have to cross the "highway" but if so, will have plenty of time.

You will be fine as long as you can manage your luggage and you take your time and it sounds like you will do both.

Again, we've done this (without luggage) just walking between the terminal when we have just stopped in Miami as a port on an extended cruise and have also done this several times on a pre cruise as we'll do in a couple of weeks.

Just take your time.

At the same time, it could be raining even with a downpour and if that is the case, just take the taxi and give them a nice tip.

Your post asking about this was great as is your approach.

Keith

Archived