Suggestions for a quality area to stay for 5 days near Miami pre Cruise?

rl787

We are considering a cruise out of Port Everglade and would like to have a few days in Florida pre cruise. I do not know the area at all and friends have suggested either Miami Beach or Palm Beach. Can anyone suggest any other stylish up market areas within a couple of hours of Port Everglade. We have no children and enjoy great restaurants and relaxed surroundings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fountainbleu in South Beach

Well, the Fountainbleu is actually a good bit north of South Beach. And while SB may be alluring to a tourist for a pm stroll--just for people watching--it isn't a place to stay unless you want to be part of that particular scene. You might check out One Bal Harbour, a bit farther north on MB which has arguably the finest beach location of any hotel. Also has a decent restaurant and a great cocktail terrace. Another high end hotel farther up MB is Aqualina. The Miami restaurant scene is vibrant.The old (and expensive) standards are The Forge and Casa Tua. Relative newcomers of high quality are Michy's, Michael's Genuine Food and Drink, Sustain, Sardinia. The best happy hour is at Sugar Cane Bar and Grill, which is the preferred meet/greet locale for Miami's hip crowd. As with almost any place in Miami, you don't need a jacket, and at Sugarcane you will see everything from suits to shorts.There are also interesting and slightly odd places like Red Light, Pubbelly and Chowdown. If you stay at the northern end of MB, the bar at Bourbon Steak at the Freemont Turnberry Hotel in Aventura boasts a beautiful bar, a sophisticated crowd, a generous happy hour--5:00 to 8:00pm, M-F--and terrific bartenders who can make a memorable Hemingway Daiquiri, a Bramble or anything else. You could stay at the Turnberry, but it is a tad removed from the Miami action, though if you have a rental car, no problem. For reviews, check Tripadvisor, Yelp and menupages.

Just realized you are cruising out of Port Everglades. That is actually closer to Fort Lauderdale than Miami. We always stay at The Pillars which is highly rated on CC boards. You don't need a car. You can walk to many nice restaurants. The hotel also has a wonderful restaurant. Think of a Seabourn cruise at a hotel. Service is just as personal. The Pillars is also on the water taxi route.

The Ritz is across the street from the ocean and beach. The Pillars is located about two short blocks behind The Ritz on the Intracoastal Waterway. If you stay at The Pillars, you can eat at the Ritz. If you stay at the Ritz, I believe you cannot eat at The Pillars. Their restaurant is for hotel guests and a private club. The Pillars has 18 suites. The Ritz is a highrise building. You probably can't go wrong with either.

The Pillers Hotel is really fabulous ~be sure and have dinner at "The Secret Garden" ~ a private, by invitation only Club ~but guests are presented a membership. Overlooking the ocean ~food & wines are delicious. The gazebo is very romantic for all you lovers!:p A super, charming hotel and family owned!

Martita B.

conchyjoe

Thank you for reminding us of Lago Mar Resort & Hotel ~ it IS the # 1 hotel for Sailors in Ft Laud. The location is perfect ~South Ocean Lane, on the beach and the ocean. I'm very fortunate in having close friends that live next to Lago Mar so I usually stay with them ~but we drive by Lago Mar daily ~always busy & bustling:D I hear the food and service is excellent! Plus located on the ocean you have a "bird's eye" view of all the cruise ships sailing in & out of Port Everglades. The hotel would be my choice!:p

Martita B

When others ask about Fort Lauderdale I also recommend the Lago Mar Resort. We enjoy the property. The beach is spectacular and it is nice to watch the ships going out to sea and arriving back from to the port.

The original poster had also posted this thread on another board and I also recommended some locations in other areas of South Florida.

Keith

I am on a RCI cruise from Miami, didnt know there was more than one port, staying for 2 nights in MIami before, would like to be close ish to shops and bar/restaurant where should we stay? we wont have a car so will have to rely on taxis or buses. Never been to Miami so havent a clue.

I am on a RCI cruise from Miami, didnt know there was more than one port, staying for 2 nights in MIami before, would like to be close ish to shops and bar/restaurant where should we stay? we wont have a car so will have to rely on taxis or buses. Never been to Miami so havent a clue.

Many people who arrive for one or a couple of days stay in downtown Miami. Some hotels that are about a mile from the port of Miami and are in easy walking distance of various restaurants include the Hotel Intercontinental, Epic Hotel, Marriott Marquis.

There are a variety of restaurants in walking distance of these hotels; several at Bayside and others nearby.

About a mile away and easily reached by cab or within a twenty minute or so walk is the Mary Brickell Village which includes mainly one of a kind stores. Right adjacent to the center is lots of restaurants and I would recommend that area for the restaurants.

There are other hotels that are a little further away from the first set of hotels I mentioned and more upscale so if these aren't want you are looking for I can provide additional hotel names.

And, of course, there are many other hotels to choose from.

Keith

Many people who arrive for one or a couple of days stay in downtown Miami. Some hotels that are about a mile from the port of Miami and are in easy walking distance of various restaurants include the Hotel Intercontinental, Epic Hotel, Marriott Marquis.

There are a variety of restaurants in walking distance of these hotels; several at Bayside and others nearby.

About a mile away and easily reached by cab or within a twenty minute or so walk is the Mary Brickell Village which includes mainly one of a kind stores. Right adjacent to the center is lots of restaurants and I would recommend that area for the restaurants.

There are other hotels that are a little further away from the first set of hotels I mentioned and more upscale so if these aren't want you are looking for I can provide additional hotel names.

And, of course, there are many other hotels to choose from.

Keith

Thanks very much Keith I will have a look at those Hotels and get back to you if I need anymore help.

Eileen

As a first time visitor, for a two night stay without a vehicle I would really suggest that you look at one of the many South Beach hotels. Although the Intercontinental in downtown Miami is an excellent hotel, the area tends to be a bit sterile unless you really know where you are going.

Think Canary Wharf for downtown Miami and Brighton for South Beach.

Unless you are a real party animal, my one caveat would be don't stay in South Beach if you are looking at March or early April, known in North America as "Spring Break". It's then that South Beach turns into a wild Ibiza like party town. Fun if you are 22, but for me it just makes me feel really old !

Archived