Marina Review

doowopbob

Cintipam, having sailed Azamara's Journey and Quest as well as Oceania's Regatta, you will feel right at home on the Quest, since they are all sister ships. BUT Azamara's cuisine, though extremely good and well prepared, doesn't quite meet the standard of the Regatta. Can't wait for August and afternoon tea after busy days touring! And I'm looking forward to the brie and lobster sandwich for lunch.

I'm curious where you got your information about Marina modifications to the shower. I like your information much more than mine, but mine suggests nothing concrete about a retro-fit.

When we were on Marina last summer we were told by the head of housekeeping that nothing would be changed until the ship goes into dry dock in 2013 for its regular refreshing (makes sense).

He was not sure what all would be changed but wrote down our suggestions and seemed very interested and wanting to pass them on to the powers that be. (He was aware we were on our 10th cruise and had some knowledge of Oceania but that should not have mattered) I suspect we will see some tweaking in 2013 but what is open to conjecture.

I'm curious where you got your information about Marina modifications to the shower. I like your information much more than mine, but mine suggests nothing concrete about a retro-fit.

It sounds rather an odd story in retrospect, but during the Introductory Cruise of the Marina last year, Hondorner and I (along with Betsy & Stan) just happened to meet Bob Binder (then President of Oceania) on the Grand Staircase one afternoon, as he returned to the ship with plumbing fixtures which might be used to retrofit the bathtubs.

In fact, He called us over to admire and rate the various options with him. I recall that he was a BIG FAN of circular shower curtain brackets, and was insisting on longer than normal hoses for the handheld shower heads.

At that point, after an avalanch of praise for the Marinas' interiors, the Oceania Brass seemed genuinely suprised to hear that the showers were not optimally sized in the standard cabins. Mr. Binder appeared quite excited at the prospect of adding shower hardware to the tubs.

Of course, Oceania had a MUCH more cordial relationship with Fincantieri at that time, more pressing business might have taken precedence. :rolleyes:

It sounds rather an odd story in retrospect, but during the Introductory Cruise of the Marina last year, Hondorner and I (along with Betsy & Stan) just happened to meet Bob Binder (then President of Oceania) on the Grand Staircase one afternoon, as he returned to the ship with plumbing fixtures which might be used to retrofit the bathtubs.

In fact, He called us over to admire and rate the various options with him. I recall that he was a BIG FAN of circular shower curtain brackets, and was insisting on longer than normal hoses for the handheld shower heads.

At that point, after an avalanch of praise for the Marinas' interiors, the Oceania Brass seemed genuinely suprised to hear that the showers were not optimally sized in the standard cabins. Mr. Binder appeared quite excited at the prospect of adding shower hardware to the tubs.

Of course, Oceania had a MUCH more cordial relationship with Fincantieri at that time, more pressing business might have taken precedence. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing that very odd story! Fascinating!

The easiest and simplest fixes shouldn't have to involve Fincantieri. Mounting a rod over the tub from which to hang a shower curtain would be a surface change and any competent maintainence person could do this. Ditto for installing a second holder for the tub hose at shower-head height. Ideally, the narrow wand-style shower head could be replaced by a shower head with a broader spraying pattern. Again, that is likely only a matter of unscrewing the old and replacing it with the new.

In spite of the information in the article you cited in a previous post about changes on Riviera, I refuse to give up hope about the shower. The changes mentioned in the article were structural changes. Riviera could make simple, surface changes in the bathroom and these wouldn't merit mention in the article. Still, if Riviera persists in its flawed shower design in spite of early and consistent criticism, then shame on Oceania.

Thanks for sharing that very odd story! Fascinating!

The easiest and simplest fixes shouldn't have to involve Fincantieri. Mounting a rod over the tub from which to hang a shower curtain would be a surface change and any competent maintainence person could do this. Ditto for installing a second holder for the tub hose at shower-head height. Ideally, the narrow wand-style shower head could be replaced by a shower head with a broader spraying pattern. Again, that is likely only a matter of unscrewing the old and replacing it with the new.

In spite of the information in the article you cited in a previous post about changes on Riviera, I refuse to give up hope about the shower. The changes mentioned in the article were structural changes. Riviera could make simple, surface changes in the bathroom and these wouldn't merit mention in the article. Still, if Riviera persists in its flawed shower design in spite of early and consistent criticism, then shame on Oceania.

We were in an A4 cabin on that Marina Introductory Cruise, and for us the shower was more than satisfactory for personal hygiene. The rub was that if something fell to the floor, it was not retrievable until one had left the stall. Slightly inconvenient, but not impossible to live with.

I'm not really clear where you are going with the "Not in Fincantieri" thing, because the Riviera is still in the process of being built in that shipyard. Perforce any modification or change would take place there.

Other than soap what could possibly fall to the floor that was not retrievable? Or shouldn't we ask?

Although I am quite pleased with myself that you imagine that it might be something else (I haven't been so flattered in YEARS!), I was referring to, aside from soap, the miscellaneous shampoos, conditioners, lotions and potions which are, sadly, part of ones routine once we get north of forty.

It didn't help that we sailed the Marina so early in the game that her soapdishes had not yet been installed. :eek:

I'm not really clear where you are going with the "Not in Fincantieri" thing, because the Riviera is still in the process of being built in that shipyard. Perforce any modification or change would take place there.

My comments in the first paragraph of post #30 were about Marina. The mention of Fincantieri came from post #29, your post. I didn't understand why Finantieri would be involved in any superficial changes to Marina.

The second paragraph was definitely about Riviera and referred to post #4 in the Raise the Roof! thread which mentioned the absence of any changes to the staterooms. Clearly, Fincantieri would be involved in that work.

Hope that clears things up.

"And I'm looking forward to the brie and lobster sandwich for lunch."

Where do they serve brie and lobster sandwich? Sounds great, I must have missed it.

I believe it to be served at Waves - haven't had it yet myself, but read about it on one of these Boards. Mouth watering from now 'till August!:D

• 2 weeks later...
Cintipam, having sailed Azamara's Journey and Quest as well as Oceania's Regatta, you will feel right at home on the Quest, since they are all sister ships. BUT Azamara's cuisine, though extremely good and well prepared, doesn't quite meet the standard of the Regatta. Can't wait for August and afternoon tea after busy days touring! And I'm looking forward to the brie and lobster sandwich for lunch.

Thanks for your encouragement; the food on Marina last June was so outstanding that very little could match it, including my Manhattan meals on my visit 10 days ago. My mouth still waters thinking of my Jacques dinner and late lobster lunches at Waves.

I hope all you Oceania forum regulars are impressed that I have not been on cruisecritic since last year!

Thanks for your encouragement; the food on Marina last June was so outstanding that very little could match it, including my Manhattan meals on my visit 10 days ago. My mouth still waters thinking of my Jacques dinner and late lobster lunches at Waves.

I hope all you Oceania forum regulars are impressed that I have not been on cruisecritic since last year!

Hi Pam!

Yes, I have missed your posts. I was going to post to you on FB about our maiden voyage being canceled. We are so disappointed. We can't make up our minds what we want to do now. We do not like the new maiden voyage itinerary and so that is definitely out. We are even considering a London/Paris land trip now and just waiting until next year to cruise. Decisions, decisions............

Hi Pam!

Yes, I have missed your posts. I was going to post to you on FB about our maiden voyage being canceled. We are so disappointed. We can't make up our minds what we want to do now. We do not like the new maiden voyage itinerary and so that is definitely out. We are even considering a London/Paris land trip now and just waiting until next year to cruise. Decisions, decisions............

How about four ports in Sicily (and a return to Malta) and a stop in Salerno so you can visit Paestum? Gerry is salivating at the thought of being up to his ears in Greek temples and antiquities. (I simply will be more than ready to stop wedding event planning.) Think about joining us in October!:)

Archived