Steps Thru Time Interpretive Hike - Denali

LEtue

This hike is described as moderately strenuous and lasts 3 1/2 hours. Would love to hear from anyone who has hiked this trail. Is it too steep for the average hiker/walker?

I think this is just what I need after riding the train for 4 hours from Fairbanks and be a good use of time for our first afternoon in the Park :)

Do you have a link to this hike? I don't believe it is led by a NPS ranger. From the searching I have done it appears to cost about $90 and it might start in "Glitter Gulch" so you are only in the entrance-area but I am not sure.

If you are interested in a hike, I would suggest the Discovery Hikes or a ranger-led hike like the Alpine Hike at noon at Eielson. There are also other ranger-led hikes like the Horseshoe Lake hike. I just can't see spending >$90 for a guided hike that doesn't get very far into the park.

Why not think about the Rock Creek Trail hike, Savage Loop hike or if you want something more strenuous the Healy Overlook Trail hike? They are all excellent, easy to get to and free.

Do you have a link to this hike? I don't believe it is led by a NPS ranger. From the searching I have done it appears to cost about $90 and it might start in "Glitter Gulch" so you are only in the entrance-area but I am not sure.

If you are interested in a hike, I would suggest the Discovery Hikes or a ranger-led hike like the Alpine Hike at noon at Eielson. There are also other ranger-led hikes like the Horseshoe Lake hike. I just can't see spending >$90 for a guided hike that doesn't get very far into the park.

Why not think about the Rock Creek Trail hike, Savage Loop hike or if you want something more strenuous the Healy Overlook Trail hike? They are all excellent, easy to get to and free.

Thanks. I'm just starting to research the hiking options and will definitely do some at Eielson. Based on our arrival at 12:15 pm (train from Fairbanks) I was looking for something that leaves right from the McKinley Chalet Resort where we're staying. I want to make the most of the first day as possible. I appreciate your input :)

http://www.denaliparkresorts.com/hiking-excursions.aspx

Thanks. I'm just starting to research the hiking options and will definitely do some at Eielson. Based on our arrival at 12:15 pm (train from Fairbanks) I was looking for something that leaves right from the McKinley Chalet Resort where we're staying. I want to make the most of the first day as possible. I appreciate your input :)

http://www.denaliparkresorts.com/hiking-excursions.aspx

Thanks for the link. That is exactly what I thought it was. Why not send all your luggage onto the lodge and stay inside the park on your own? No need to even go to the resort right away. My ideal use of time that afternoon?

Arrive at 12.15pm, check with the visitor center rangers (very short walk from the train station) as to what guided hikes they might be offering that afternoon (you can also check online in advance - most guided hikes are listed online each Friday for the following week). Usually there are a couple of ranger-led hikes near the entrance about 1pm. Have lunch at the Morino Grill . See the exhibits and film at the visitor center if you have time, take the hike with the ranger (always free and they are not allowed to accept tips). If no ranger-led hike, take the free shuttle bus 15 miles to Savage River, take the 2 mile round-trip very easy hike there. Always a decent chance to see moose or caribou along this route, but I have also seen bears, lynx and coyote in these first 15 miles.

Perhaps take in the 2pm or 4pm sleddog demo at the headquarters (depending on the time and length of any hikes).

In other words, save the money you would spend on this hike and stay inside the park near the entrance with tons of free stuff to do, more chances to see wildlife, better chance to hook up with a park ranger.

Thank you so much for the great ideas :)

I would much rather keep things "open" but didn't want to miss out on any opportunities to get right into the Park on the first afternoon!

I want to make sure you know there is a shuttle from the McKinley Chalet to and from the park:

http://www.denaliparkresorts.com/media/515537/Chalet%20Shuttle%20Bus%20schedule.pdf

You are not at the mercy of the resorts excursions. Also, I believe the chalet is only a mile or a mile and half from the park entrance.

I have not been yet myself, but all my research led me to decide this is where we are going to stay. :)

Thanks for all the responses! I wasn't sure if all of the hikes would be full by the time we got there in the afternoon (since others will have signed up a day or two before).

I can't wait to get to Denali :D

the trails around the entrance area and well maintained and well marked so easy to do on your own if the guided hikes are full. Same with the Savage River trail. There are some photos from the Savage River trail in this blog. (a free shuttle bus goes to the Savage River turnaround frequently if you don't have a car)

http://susanstevenson.com/blog/2011/06/denali-revisited/#more-310

the trails around the entrance area and well maintained and well marked so easy to do on your own if the guided hikes are full. Same with the Savage River trail. There are some photos from the Savage River trail in this blog. (a free shuttle bus goes to the Savage River turnaround frequently if you don't have a car)

http://susanstevenson.com/blog/2011/06/denali-revisited/#more-310

Thanks for posting -- that is a great blog about Denali! As if I wasn't antsy enough to go as it is!!

I was suprised to hear her mention that one side of the savage river trail is not maintained and thus harder to navigate. I don't mind the mud and wet areas, but how hard are the rocks to climb over? We are looking for an easy hike -- does this qualify?

Thanks for posting -- that is a great blog about Denali! As if I wasn't antsy enough to go as it is!!

I was suprised to hear her mention that one side of the savage river trail is not maintained and thus harder to navigate. I don't mind the mud and wet areas, but how hard are the rocks to climb over? We are looking for an easy hike -- does this qualify?

love that baby moose! We saw several calves during our trip but they were a few months older. If you go back to her April 26 entry, there's a very entertaining bear photo.

I'd say the Savage River trail was easy and I'm not a hiker. There are photos and a brief video on the Park's web site. http://www.nps.gov/dena/photosmultimedia/savagecanyon.htm

love that baby moose! We saw several calves during our trip but they were a few months older. If you go back to her April 26 entry, there's a very entertaining bear photo.

I'd say the Savage River trail was easy and I'm not a hiker. There are photos and a brief video on the Park's web site. http://www.nps.gov/dena/photosmultimedia/savagecanyon.htm

I love the baby moose too! Makes you wonder how they can survive the winter?

Thanks for all of the great posts :)

There are plenty of maps, even iPhone apps, that have information on the marked trails.

You can even download ebooks for a Kindle etc.

Archived