Cruising for the Holidays

VAMommy

Good morning CCs! Hubster and I have decided to take the kids on a cruise next Christmas as their gift. It will probably be on the Imagination.

My question is for those that have sailed during Christmas....how did your children react? My youngest will be 13 by the time we sail, so I'm not sure he'll understand that we'll be cruising for the Holidays versus opening gifts up at home.

you can get a miniature tree for the cabin- Pick up mini decorations after this christmas- look for battery powered lights to string around the vanity.

if flying- you can not carry wrapped presents.

Just my opinion......if your kids were all grown adults I would say giving them a cruise as their gift would be a great thing to do..

But at 13 yrs old I would think they would still want actual Christmas gifts to open. Kids are still kids.....

You know your children better than anyone, so maybe your 13 yr old will be thrilled....

Happy Sailing!!!!

We are cruising on The Magic for Christmas this year. My kids are 13 and 15. We asked them if they would like presents at home or to go make memories instead. With no hesitation, the answer was let's go on a cruise! I bought one very small gift for them to open on Christmas morning and then we bought stuff to bring and decorate our cabin door. We cruised with them in July this year and it was in their view the best vacation ever. We travel a lot with them, so that was saying a lot. Bring Walkie Talkies so you can keep in touch with them, because you don't see them much after they make friends.

Good morning CCs! Hubster and I have decided to take the kids on a cruise next Christmas as their gift. It will probably be on the Imagination.

My question is for those that have sailed during Christmas....how did your children react? My youngest will be 13 by the time we sail, so I'm not sure he'll understand that we'll be cruising for the Holidays versus opening gifts up at home.

I have a 13yo daughter. We will be sailing next week. She's a little disappointed about not having a traditional Christmas, but she is still excited and comforted by the fact that shopping on the trip = her Christmas gifts...lol One thing that may make a difference (but I just don't have the time/energy to do it) is decorating the house even though we won't be home.

We cruised 2 Christmas' ago and DD was 7 years old and she LOVED IT! On Chrsitmas Day we were in Cayman Islands swimming with Stingrays, tell me that is not a fabulous way to spend xmas;) I still brought a few small gifts for her to open on xmas morning, Santa came on a helicopter on the ship and she got to sit on his lap and got a gift, when we got home she had some gifts to open that were under the tree, no issues at all. We are leaving in 2 weeks for our 2nd xmas cruise and she is soooo excited to do this again. I think its a great change from the at-home stressed out christmas we are all use to! I would do it every year if I could! I say DO IT :D

We are never home for Christmas week. Used to be AI's - now cruises get us away from home. My "kids" never felt they missed out on celebrating - we do the gifts before we leave for the cruise. We started traveling during Christmas week when they were 4 and 7. They are now 20 and 23, and their best memories are from all the adventures and kids their ages they met while cruising during Christmas. Go for it! You might just start a new tradition! Yesterday I booked Breeze for next Xmas- my baby will be graduating UConn, and this will probably be the last time she cruises with us before going out into the big, harsh working world!:p:D

Many thanks to all of you for your input! I like the idea of giving the kids a gift to open on Christmas morning. BTW - my boys will be 13, 15 and 17 by the time we cruise so Santa isn't as exciting as it used to be. :(

I'll be booking when I get home!

I say go for it. I am crusing this year with my 5 year old daughter and she can hardly wait.. Her words everyday are 'mommy I know you cant wait to get on that boat and have those icecream cones all day hey:rolleyes:' lol just have to love her.. I told her that she had to write Santa a letter explaining to him that she wouldnt be at home for him to drop off her gifts but he knows were to find her.. So on xmas morning she will wake up to everything that was on her wish list.. (thank goodness she didnt request any big items). Happy Cruising!!!!

Some one mentioned that you cant carry on wrapped gift on the plane? :eek:what am I going to do

We are cruising January 1st on the Magic, and that is our gift for this holiday season. The kids, who are 10 and 12, are each getting a nice pair of Skullcandy headphones (to bring on the cruise) and that will be the only gift they get on Christmas morning. They'll be delighted/ because they think they're getting nothing in the way of presents to open. They are so excited about this cruise, and they readily gave up "things" to open in favor of an amazing family vacation on the Magic.

We are cruising on The Magic for Christmas this year. My kids are 13 and 15. We asked them if they would like presents at home or to go make memories instead. With no hesitation, the answer was let's go on a cruise! I bought one very small gift for them to open on Christmas morning and then we bought stuff to bring and decorate our cabin door. We cruised with them in July this year and it was in their view the best vacation ever. We travel a lot with them, so that was saying a lot. Bring Walkie Talkies so you can keep in touch with them, because you don't see them much after they make friends.

Motiki, we're also on the Magic for Christmas! We have a great roll call going please come join in. There are a number of families with kids on it and a couple of events have been planned for Saturday night to give everyone a chance to meet before boading. We're also doing an informal meet and greet for sail away. :)

Two years ago we did a two week cruise to Hawaii for Chirstmas and we did not even tell the kids (9 and 7 at the time) that they were going until 2 hours before the ship left. (long story on how we pulled that off that I can share if your interested.) The cruise was over xmas and new years. We had a great time. Kids rank it above Disney World and they still talk about it. We did take Xmas with us, meaning decorations, small tree and such. We did not go way overboard on presents but Santa did visit the Cabin on Christmas eve. Great time and little stress on the parents. i would do it every year if I could.

Now this year we leave on Dec 17 for 6 days in Cabo. We will get back on the 23 and go right home and do christmas. It should also be a good time, and oh, the kids dont know yet. We will be going to the local mall this sunday for the pics with Santa and I have arranged for Santa to give the kids a letter from our little elf friend Elfard (another long story about our elf) who now works for the North Pole Travel Agency and got them a special room on the Spirit. There could be quite a show at our local mall when the open the letter.

Go and have a great time. It will be a Christmas to remember for all time.

John

Most stores have battery and electric operated "mini" Christmas trees with LED lights on the tip of the branches that give off a nice look. They run around $20-$25.00. Since they are that you, I would still get them something to open on Christmas morning.

Archived