HDMI input on tv?

gokinks9

I'd check at home first, we've found that several of those remote control apps need internet access to work.

I'll definitely do that, but I did pre-purchase the WiFi package, so that would serve, no?

This past cruise we just called IT and they brought us the "master remote", which was Samsung. We did notice that once TV was turned off it reset. It should not matter but we were in JS, and once we called they came pretty quick. Our biggest issue was connecting the HDMI cord as the TVs dont move much or at all. Ofcourse you need to bring your own cord, but once connected and input changed with their remote it was good. We brought our AppleTV and streamed our shows(there is another thread on this) for movie watching.

Anyone have any success using a Samsung Smart Remote app rather than a physical remote? I see a number of them available in the app store, would rather download and use one of those as a one-off rather than drop money on a remote that I'll never use again.

FYI: The remote I used was from Wal-Mart and was less than $10. I figured the $10 was worth it even if I never used it again. However, we will be back on RCCL so it will be used again on the next cruise which makes it even more worth it.

Will the TV's let you 'cast' stuff from your smartphone to them?

Very unlikely as I don't see how you would connect the TV to the same WiFi you are using for your phone (which is what is needed to cast).

Very unlikely as I don't see how you would connect the TV to the same WiFi you are using for your phone (which is what is needed to cast).

That's my thought, also. Unless you have a device attached to the TV to receive the cast i.e.: Apple TV, Google Chrome, Amazon Fire, etc. If you can get to the HDMI port and change the TV to recognize it the easiest way is to just use a cord from your device to the TV.

I have done this a couple of times on both Oasis and Allure from my IPhone and IPad. Plus, I don't stream just play content I downloaded beforehand.

Also, I never needed to take a remote. The first time, I played around with the cabin remote and found a button that would change the inputs. The second time, I used the buttons on the TV to change the inputs.

FYI: The remote I used was from Wal-Mart and was less than $10. I figured the $10 was worth it even if I never used it again. However, we will be back on RCCL so it will be used again on the next cruise which makes it even more worth it.

Good info, thanks. I saw a bunch of inexpensive ones, but Samsung charges something like $30-40 for their "official" remote. I can always get a generic one, but I'm hoping the app remote will work as well - those are both free and take up no valuable real estate in my carry-on bag. :')

Good info, thanks. I saw a bunch of inexpensive ones, but Samsung charges something like $30-40 for their "official" remote. I can always get a generic one, but I'm hoping the app remote will work as well - those are both free and take up no valuable real estate in my carry-on bag. :')[/quote

FYI: The $10 remote was a Samsung and as i said, worked perfectly. No need to spend more than that.

• 4 weeks later...

On Anthem last week. We couldn’t figure out how to pull the TV away from the wall to access the HDMI. It felt like it was firmly bolted to the wall. But, we were able to use our Samsung remote and screen mirroring to cast from a Samsung phone to the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually bring a 2 input HDMI switch that way I can go from my tablet to the TV easily I have a couple of HDMI angle connectors to make it easier to get to the cable. My plan is to try a remote on our next cruise on the Jewel.

On Anthem last week. We couldn’t figure out how to pull the TV away from the wall to access the HDMI. It felt like it was firmly bolted to the wall. But, we were able to use our Samsung remote and screen mirroring to cast from a Samsung phone to the TV.

Maybe some of the newer phones have two WiFi radios to allow WiFi on one and casting on another. I seem to remember someone mentioning S8 and up have the ability to hot spot over wifi (which is usually reserved for cell signals only).

On Anthem last week. We couldn’t figure out how to pull the TV away from the wall to access the HDMI. It felt like it was firmly bolted to the wall.

That was my experience on Anthem as well. But someone posted pictures from Anthem showing they pulled it out. There appeared to be a release handle on the left side... Or possibly some TVs you can pull out and some you can't.