when is the best time to cruise

went on cruise in november for the first time, fell in love and now i am ready to plan the next one. wont go in november again, just because the seas were a little rough due to the cold fronts we kept running into. hurricane season is june-nov????? so when do YOU go? trying to avoid cold weather and rough seas as much as possible.

We enjoy crusing either in January or February. Last 6 cruises have been in those two months only, and have had smoothe saiing every time. Great way to enjoy the wonderful tropics during the wintery season. By the time either of those two months come around, we're ready for a winter getaway. Hurricane season is June 1 through the month of November.

We've cruised in February, March, April, June, Sept, Oct, Nov, and December. I would say November was my least favorite for the same reasons. February was a little too cold (water temp in Cozumel). We are from Arkansas though and I noticed people from further north seemed to think the water was just fine. June was just too hot and too expensive (for me)!

Oct/September, the prices are good but my biggest reason is that it's still really warm, and the waters are really warm for snorkling. The best time to leave Nebraska, where I live is Jan or Feb it's REALLY cold here, but I love to snorkle and tried to do so in Febuary in Bahamas and also Grand Cayman and the water was still chilly, I'm a cold whimp and won't go in if it's cold.

So the kids are all back in school and it's pretty nice weather.

Of course you could hit storms, but we've been really lucky and never been delayed or rerouted due to storms, of course I know this is a chance I take, I'd put my big girl pants on and suck it up if it happened!!

Cheers, Carole

We've cruised in February, March, April, June, Sept, Oct, Nov, and December. I would say November was my least favorite for the same reasons. February was a little too cold (water temp in Cozumel). We are from Arkansas though and I noticed people from further north seemed to think the water was just fine. June was just too hot and too expensive (for me)!

No, no, no, no , NO!! Not all of us think the water is fine in February, it's damn chilly!!!:D I live in Nebraska, we get 30 to 40 below zero wind chills, most of the time it's below zero at that time of year here and I still wouldn't go in the water in GC in February.

Carole

It can be cool if you are leaving from a northern port. We cruised in December from Baltimore, October from New York and while the price is a lot less expensive the cold day down is the trade off. On some of the ships they have the retractable roof over the pool so you can still enjoy a swim and the air temp there is nice but walking on deck you would need a coat the first and last days.

I really think it depends on your cruise style. We are not sun worshipers and would rather cruise twice and endure a colder day here and there than cruise once during a peak season.

We cruise for Valentines week- get cheap prices and cruise before the families start cruising (Presidents week is a huge family week)

Something about leaving the cold and going someplace warm

We avoid summer- but the last week in August is cheap too.

We also cruise in September (well before we discovered Aruba- now we spend our week there)

I do believe the water in the eastern/western caribbean is warmer in the later months of the year than in the first two or three.

I have to ask Serene56-what time of the year do you usually spend in Aruba? I LOVE ARUBA!!!! I've only been there one day on a Southern cruise but would love to go back and spend a week!

Some of it depends where you are cruising to. We normally always cruise in the Caribbean in November, and have found that the Eastern Caribbean tends to get much better weather than the Western Caribbean. This year was particularly bad for storms, so personally I wouldn't rule out November for an Eastern or Southern Caribbean cruise. Certainly January through May is a pretty safe bet, again depending on where you are cruising, and from which port (i.e. New York, Florida, Galveston, etc.). For example we are cruising out of Galveston in February which is known for having severe fog in February and often there are delays because of that.

I do believe the water in the eastern/western caribbean is warmer in the later months of the year than in the first two or three.

I have to ask Serene56-what time of the year do you usually spend in Aruba? I LOVE ARUBA!!!! I've only been there one day on a Southern cruise but would love to go back and spend a week!

We go the second week in September for the past three years.

Went the first time on a cruise ship= decided to try a land vacation- loved it. Following year we got a time share. Went this past September and boy was it grand.

Keep me in mind-- I will be renting our time share out in 2013 coz I want to see Disney during the holiday-- (we rented the time share one year and it was 1850. total for the all inclusive at Occidental. depending on the rate that year is what we will rent it for.

This year its at 95.00pp per night-

We like to go the last week of Feb/first week of March - before spring break season hits, and sends the airfare sky high! We do Caribbean itineraries, and being from PA, it seems like there is only 2 or 3 weeks of winter left once we get back. The added bonus of a snowstorm happening while we are away, never fails to entertain us!

went on cruise in november for the first time, fell in love and now i am ready to plan the next one. wont go in november again, just because the seas were a little rough due to the cold fronts we kept running into. hurricane season is june-nov????? so when do YOU go? trying to avoid cold weather and rough seas as much as possible.

DW and I try to go between Sept-March. Prices are better and fewer kids on the ships. We sailed once in the summer because we had too, and we won't do that again. Just make sure to watch out for hurricanes in the fall.

I am an odd ball and like cold weather. I prefer to cruise during Jan and Feb when the Caribbean is the coolest.

BTW, water temperature changes follow air temperature changes. So Jan has the coldest air, but Feb likely has the coldest water temperature. And vice verse, August offers the warmest water.

So if warm water is what you are looking for, Nov and Dec are better than Jan and Feb.

This is how we determine the best time to cruise. 1. Look at a school calendar. If the kids, including college students are busy studying, then book a cruise. 2. Look at cruise rates over the next six months. Find the cheapest rate for the cruise, then book it. 3. When I catch myself looking at cruise websites, listening to steel drum music, and old photos of previous cruise, I forget rule 1 and 2 and book a cruise.

I hope this helps!

We are April cruisers. Being from NY we are ready for warmer weather by then. The weather in the Caribbean is usually sunny and warm - low 80 - mid 80 range and the sea is really quite calm for the most part. The water temp is also excellent for swimming, snorkeling etc.

We're Late October/November and March. Nice beautiful 80 degress days and mid 60's at night. That would be for both the east and west sides. Much warmer down south.

I guess we have been really lucky as we have never had less than stellar weather. Rarely even a passing rain shower.

We prefer either of the last 2 weeks in September (we have also gone in March, July and December). Yes, it's hurricane season, but the weather is still warm and only once have we had an itinerary change due to a hurricane. The rates are also great that time of year.

June 30-November is actually Hurricane Season. Seems the summer is busiest due to kids being out of school, etc, but prices are sky high. Also, we go on Vacation like many, to get away from the cold weather or the beginning of it. We have sailed late November the last two years ,and have had iffy weather both times. Calm seas last year, but a bit of rain and cloud 2 of 3 port days. This year, pretty warm temps, but lots of wind due to fronts.

Keep in mind fronts come through all year long, so you can get wind at any time.

I would be tempted to cruise in April as it is generally slow time, and prices are pretty good. At that time, I would imagine seas are pretty calm as well...

We almost always go end of January, beginning of February. That's about the time we need to get away from Wisconsin winters! But we think the weather in the Caribbean is great at that time of year, plus there are some great prices on cruises. We did May once, and didn't like it as much - a little too warm in the Carib for us then, and we didn't get the great benefit of skipping out on the frozen tundra for a week (or two).

We tried the west coast (LA down to Puerto Vallarta) once in winter - it was TOO COLD! The entire first day and last day at sea were too chilly to lay out by the pool or even walk around in shorts. BRRRRRRR

We are lucky that we live close to three ports and can cruise anytime, but the best chance of calm seas and great weather are March and April. We look to see when Easter falls and cruise two weeks later. Hasn't failed us yet but we have been lucky with the weather. The worst weather was May 28-June 4 of this year. I firmly believe if you wait too long in May, when the rainy season starts you run the risk of clouds. We just cruised to the Eastern Caribbean over Thanksgiving and it was freezing in Cape Canavral but the rest of the cruise was perfect weather. The seas were rough, though the entire week. I walked like a drunken sailor for three days after we got home.

Archived