how to adjust the daily service charge with HAL?

Dennis75

Will your child not be eating for the week?

I have been told by cabin stewards that children create more work than adults.Cheap people always have a way to justify their actions!If you don't want to pay the suggested price,just stay home!These people that you are stiffing have families that need to eat and will never see a cruise ship!

I was just on a 35 day cruise where we never once stepped foot in the main dining room, yet I am forced to tip the staff there in order to give something extra to those who actually helped us. I dislike any policy that makes me tip for poor (or unused) services. Yes, I agree that it is good to tip those that you never see but I think that there could be a better solution. But to answer the original post...you can take it off at the front desk but you can't give a tip to any crew members.

I was just on a 35 day cruise where we never once stepped foot in the main dining room, yet I am forced to tip the staff there in order to give something extra to those who actually helped us. I dislike any policy that makes me tip for poor (or unused) services. Yes, I agree that it is good to tip those that you never see but I think that there could be a better solution. But to answer the original post...you can take it off at the front desk but you can't give a tip to any crew members.

Did you not eat at all on your cruise? The service charge goes to the Lido servers or did you think that they didn't receive anything?

I have paid property taxes for 36 years which 1/2 goes to public school and I chose to spend $500,000 on sending my children to private instutions.I also dislike paying for unused services but I have no alternative.A cruise is something you choose while taxes are not.Get over it!

Well, yes, of course, we ate in the Lido. I would be very happy if the tips went to those servers..but I had to tip everyone in order to give them the extra that they earned.

You're kidding right? The service charge DOES go to the servers. If you kept your service charge in place the money did go to them. If you removed it and then tipped the money went into a pool.

No, I am not kidding. I did leave the service charge in place and yes, I know that some of it went to the Lido staff but a larger part went to the main dining room staff. I would prefer to be able to direct my tips to those that served us so well.

I rarely go to the lido..... and avoid it altogether if possible. HAL distributes the service change as they see fit. I don't think "your share" goes more to the dining room than to the lido. A waiter is a waiter so how do you know all yours went to the MDR? The fact that I don't go to the lido is immaterial to the service charge in my mind.

There are a whole host of reasons I DO NOT LIKE this service charge 'policy'. Having said that I would have a very very hard time stiffing the hard working folks who provde me with a very fine cruise. Don't be a tight-wad....poney up...and remember, it is more blessed to give than.......

Can I assume that you brought ALL your food on with you, ate it in your room, cleaned up after you were done, and was no burden at all to anyone on the ship? Who do you think worked in the Lido?

Bottom line is that if you can not afford or do not want to so the suggested tip, you should not be on the ship.

DON

I don't understand why people think that I am saying that I don't want to tip! I do tip and I left the service charge intact and I tipped on top of that!! I am just saying that I wish I had a little more say in how my tips were directed.

Why do you feel the need to direct your service charge? HAL is the employer and it's between them and their employees. If they are happy about if why would it bother you? If you wish to tip additionally I'm sure they will be quite happy. You certainely have the option of directing that to the people that you choose.

Why don't they just add it to the price of the cruise up front?

It would make the upfront cost of the cruise go up more than the service charge amount. Payroll, taxes, commissions etc. would come into play.

No, I am not kidding. I did leave the service charge in place and yes, I know that some of it went to the Lido staff but a larger part went to the main dining room staff. I would prefer to be able to direct my tips to those that served us so well.

When we were on the Maasdam, our assistant waiter for dinner in the MDR worked the Lido for breakfast and lunch. So did the guy handing out the mints on our first Zuiderdam cruise.

That's why it should be included in the fare. Cruise;ines think we are so stupid we just go for the lowest price, and keep loweriing the cruise experience all the time to advertise a lower price. Soon the Staten Island Ferry will be an average cruise! :eek:

But apparently that works. The Staten Island ferry is free. ;)

Why don't they just add it to the price of the cruise up front? It isn't that much per person and they could advertise it as inclusive. Most people will still tip, people who usually do, will still do it.

There are various reasons (such as paying commissions on it, taxes etc) and eh crew actually like the system (I have read here).

Why do you feel the need to direct your service charge? HAL is the employer and it's between them and their employees. If they are happy about if why would it bother you? If you wish to tip additionally I'm sure they will be quite happy. You certainely have the option of directing that to the people that you choose.

For those who are familiar with cruising and the old style of tipping, the service charge would appear to be similar to the old style of tipping, so I can understand why someone would want to direct where it goes. However, of it is a tip, then HAL has no business in deciding where it goes. I am content with the service charge, however, because it is convenient and because I believe it rewards those who provide services that are behind the scenes. I also assume that the employees' evaluations determine how well the are rewarded; otherwise, there would be no incentive for exceptional service.

I don't understand why people think that I am saying that I don't want to tip! I do tip and I left the service charge intact and I tipped on top of that!! I am just saying that I wish I had a little more say in how my tips were directed.

The ship is aware if you never used the MDR for dinner, since you are assigned a table after giving your room number. The dining stewards in the lido also receive part of the pooled service fees. So, no need to worry, the people that served you got some extra money for that.

Well, yes, of course, we ate in the Lido. I would be very happy if the tips went to those servers..but I had to tip everyone in order to give them the extra that they earned.
The MDR waiters often work in the Lido for breakfast or lunch, and sometimes do room service as well. The amounts that CD's like to toss out at the disembarkation talks (1/3 to cabin stewards, 1/3 to MDR stewards, 1/3 to rest) are rough numbers at best. The actual amount that any steward/ess draws from the pool has more to do with their length of service with HAL than what location(s) they work.

For those who are familiar with cruising and the old style of tipping, the service charge would appear to be similar to the old style of tipping, so I can understand why someone would want to direct where it goes. However, of it is a tip, then HAL has no business in deciding where it goes. I am content with the service charge, however, because it is convenient and because I believe it rewards those who provide services that are behind the scenes. I also assume that the employees' evaluations determine how well the are rewarded; otherwise, there would be no incentive for exceptional service.

I don't understand what you are saying. It sounds like what I've said...but I can't tell. I've been cruising for a long time so I know how things used to be. I also know lots of people stiffed the staff saying the tips were included. Because some people are cheap HAL decided to add the service charge. Still...plenty of cheapies are still around:eek:.

cruise because they will also be charging us for our 2 year old daughter.

I've cruise with a 2 year old - we gave extra to everyone - he was extra work - diapers, sippy cups, Cheerios accidentally dumped in the bed, he ate the food that they prepared, served & cleaned up after. They had his high chair ready when we get to the MDR... he slpet in a crib that had linens that needed to be cleaned, he used towelks when we bathed him. I can go on & on about how a 2 year old passenger takes as much effort if not more than a adult one.

I failed to mention that you are travelling on a Cristmas cruise - ask the people who you plan to stiff how seeing their family - oh wait a minute, they will be working... (Paying for health insurance that you don't have to cover & room & board that Ft. Drum probably also covers for you...)

Archived