Hal or Celebrity-Hawaii

travel1

We are trying to decide between HAL & Celebrity RT Hawaii. HAL RT from San Diego or

fly to Honolulu and return to San Diego on Celebrity. The air fare to Hawaii is over

$400 each, so it makes the Celebrity cruise more expensive. We are veteran cruisers,

but haven't been on HAL in years. What do you think?

Travel 1

The first day out is often rough but as one gets closer to Hawaii, the weather really improves. I find that by sailing to Hawaii, the time difference is easier to deal with.

In my distant past I was known to fly to Hawaii and I flew on United out of Chicago to Honolulu. It is a nine hour flight out and one does deal with jet lag which is bad going out and so much worse returning. I have found that sailing out and back the journey is more pleasant even with a first sea day that can be interesting, to say the least. If I were you I would sail out of San Diego and go round trip by sea.

A couple of considerations:

We have done the Hawaii RT on HAL, and had engine problems which slowed down the ship and wiped out one port. This results in a lot of sea days going both ways. If you like a lot of sea days, this would tend to point you towards HAL. Also, we had a fire onboard dead center between the mainland and Hawaii, but that is another story.

Smoking-if you are sensitive to smoking, go with Celebrity. If you are a smoker go with HAL. If you plan to book a balcony cabin there is about a 50/50 chance you will have tobacco smoke on your balcony from adjoining cabins pretty much full time. If that does not bother you, then it is not a factor. If it does, it renders booking a balcony a mistake.

Gary

I think the Century itinerary is good. Flights to Hawaii vary but from lax I pay between 200 and 250 usually one way. About two thirds of my mainland trips are broken up on the coast to save money.

In Oosterdam's favor, LaffinVegas wrote a "live from" review of her trip last October.

I would also scan reviews and see what's up recently, sometimes there is a sore spot or exceptional idea I haven't considered and it helps tilt the scales. For me I look at trends. You could also throw the best and worst out and see what you see, as most suggest. But if I see nothing but bad news, it makes me nervous.

Have a great time, and enjoy.

Archived