Would you notify the cruise line if you had to cancel last min?

Rahi

I'm going to pose another question - what if you called the cruise line to say you weren't going to make it, but the next day circumstances change and you all of a sudden could. Does the cruise line still grant you your space since you paid for it ????? How would you feel since you've paid for your room and now you can't go because you called in - and now things have changed and you can ?

It's hard to predict what I might do if the situation actually arises. But as I said before knowing I am pretty a streamline person in terms of unnecessary actions I probably wouldn't bother to call the cruise line anyway so your scenario wouldn't affect me.

A cruise is a business contract. I have already faithfully held up my end by paying the full fare. And if I go I will be a rule obeying cruiser. You will never see me with rum runners. If I can't go I already know from the contract that the ship will not wait for me or alter anything because of me, so nothing needs to be done. I was raised to always keep a promise and meet my commitment. And in this case all is good.

Interesting question though. And OP's original question was also interesting. Something I never thought about before. But come to think of it if a cruise line really wants to resell a booked cabin and make money, (which BTW is perfectly fine by me,) they can offer a small incentive to the original traveler.

My first thought was to offer a small refund to a cabin resold. But then I suspect it's difficult to implement. How do you define a re-sale? The cabin sold out right? What if it's given out as an upgrade and then the upgraded guest's original cabin is resold? And then what if the original cruisers' situation changed and now they can cruise? It can get pretty messy.

In light of the new Latitude policy, maybe NCL can give some latitude points instead? That's easier to implement as it doesn't affect other pax.

And they would. Taxes and port charges are *always* refundable. They can't tax you for something that you didn't use. They can't collect a port charge for someone who never went to the port. That's certainly a good reason to notify them.

My thoughts exactly. I used wonder why a cruise line did that. Is there a law that requires a cruise line to refund taxes and port fees? Or just it's their policy because it's their idea of a small incentive? If so, it makes sense.

My thoughts exactly. I used wonder why a cruise line did that. Is there a law that requires a cruise line to refund taxes and port fees? Or just it's their policy because it's their idea of a small incentive? If so, it makes sense.

The cruiseline is only a 3rd party when it comes to taxes and port charges. They must pass the fees to the respective agencies. So if somebody pre-pays a tax for something that they don't use, then the agency will not collect it. So the cruiseline can't just pocket the money, they must refund it.

The taxes and port charges can be quite substantial. On our last Mediterranean Cruise, it was about 30% of the total cost.

This brings up another issue. If and when you buy travel insurance, DO NOT INSURE THE TAXES AND PORT CHARGES since they are always refundable anyway. Your insurance company will not pay you for that, since you get that refunded! Don't pay to insure something that you can never collect on!

I'm going to pose another question - what if you called the cruise line to say you weren't going to make it, but the next day circumstances change and you all of a sudden could. Does the cruise line still grant you your space since you paid for it ????? How would you feel since you've paid for your room and now you can't go because you called in - and now things have changed and you can ?

Thats an actual easier answer than the first one. As I stated before there would have to be a drastic reason that I would cancel a vacation. Unlike some we are very very limited on our vacations. History; one vacation every 2-5 years and as you can see by my signature the one I hoped for next year is a probably not.

Back to your question. So there would be a slim to none chance of this happening to me. I would not be cancelling unless I absolutely knew that I would not be going, if that meant I didn't know until 48 hours prior to my sail, then that is when the cruiseline would be notified. Since I am at least one day flight from any port city any closer than 48 hours I would not be able to change my mind anyway. I would never cancel my reservation on a maybe I won't be able to go.

What about crank calls ? --- Let's say a prankster calls in and cancels your cruise. How would you handle that scenario ?

LOL but wouldn't they need my reservation number to do that or at the very least my full name? I don't think I have any friends that are that much out to get me. :D :D

But you never know, I am quite opinionated, so I could have ticked them off at one time or another.;)

What about crank calls ? --- Let's say a prankster calls in and cancels your cruise. How would you handle that scenario ?

you mean like an ex girlfriend who knows your name date of birth and might even guess your password? oooh drama! what if you didnt even realise it was cancelled and went to board and your names not on the list? :eek:

ok im getting a bit carried away now. Thats so devious I would never do that, cant believe im even thinking about it ;)

you mean like an ex girlfriend who knows your name date of birth and might even guess your password? oooh drama! what if you didnt even realise it was cancelled and went to board and your names not on the list? :eek:

ok im getting a bit carried away now. Thats so devious I would never do that, cant believe im even thinking about it ;)

You have an evil mind !!!! I like you !!! :D:D

We had a cruise scheduled for next September to the Panama Canal and due to unavoidable health issues (will be remedied by the end of next year) we had to cancel.

Because we are on the Haven (Courtyard Villa) level, and they were almost totally booked, not only was NCL very understanding, but they gave us a complete refund which we used to re-book the trip for Spring of 2013 which now sails out of NY AND Miami. NY actually works better for us.

We couldn't have been more pleased. AND the cost was the same.

So, yes, definitely do notify NCL. Because they may refund your money, maybe not all of it, but they might be more eager to refund some of it, especially if you have a cabin / suite that is in high demand.

We had a cruise scheduled for next September to the Panama Canal and due to unavoidable health issues (will be remedied by the end of next year) we had to cancel.

Because we are on the Haven (Courtyard Villa) level, and they were almost totally booked, not only was NCL very understanding, but they gave us a complete refund which we used to re-book the trip for Spring of 2013 which now sails out of NY AND Miami. NY actually works better for us.

We couldn't have been more pleased. AND the cost was the same.

So, yes, definitely do notify NCL. Because they may refund your money, maybe not all of it, but they might be more eager to refund some of it, especially if you have a cabin / suite that is in high demand.

Cancelling a cruise that was scheduled for next September is hardly cancelling at the last minute. You've just paid your deposit and there is no penalty for cancelling that far in advance. A last minute cancellation means you're subject to a cancellation penalty of the full fare.

if someone does not notify the cruiseline then the cruiseline cannot sell the cabin, of course. But perhaps someone inquiring for a different room would be able to use your "no show" room, even if they were not making any money on doing so.

A few years ago two sisters were scheduled for a Saturday departure on X out of Vancouver. They were arriving from different states. One sister I think because of weather could not make the flight on Friday, so the sister who was already in Vancouver, having flown in a day early, got on the phone w/X to see if there was another cruise on Sunday that could hold the two sisters (and cancel their Saturday departure). When rebooking like this I do not think there was any penalty, either. S was most gracious about it. The sisters did have to pay thru the nose for a suite, tho', since those were the only vacant cabins on the ship.

It's just amazing what can be done with a known vacancy. So let the cruiseline know so another set of sisters can get a cabin!!

God forbid this happens.. but, I have to be honest , I would not. If I was going to lose all my money, I would not want to give them any chance of rebooking that room for even more money. I think to avoid this they should still give back something til last day however so little. Anyone else think this way? I am just curious seeing the thread of the person trying to get two onto a cruise that is already booked in full. I would bet there are openings the day of , if anyone else thought as I do.

In answer to your original question, no, I don't think the same was as you do and yes, I would tell them.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a service provider making a profit. That's the whole purpose of being in business, to make a profit.

Archived