Booking activities in advance and using Toursaver

alaskawdw12

So we've already booked all of our shore excursions for our cruise, and all of our hotels and transportation for our week in Alaska before the cruise (I'm having so much fun planning!!!:)I can't believe I have to wait until July to go).

I have two questions regarding our week alone in Alaska:

1. should we book tours and activities in advance or can we just play it by ear? For instance, do we need to make a reservation for rafting in Denali or a segay tour in Fairbanks now or will we just be able to decide on the spot? (Just a note - we already booked the shuttel in Denali, because I understood from my helpful cruise critic friends that those fill up, so no need to mention that).

2. How do you use Toursaver coupons when you prebook something?

Thanks a lot!

So we've already booked all of our shore excursions for our cruise, and all of our hotels and transportation for our week in Alaska before the cruise (I'm having so much fun planning!!!:)I can't believe I have to wait until July to go).

I have two questions regarding our week alone in Alaska:

1. should we book tours and activities in advance or can we just play it by ear? For instance, do we need to make a reservation for rafting in Denali or a segay tour in Fairbanks now or will we just be able to decide on the spot? (Just a note - we already booked the shuttel in Denali, because I understood from my helpful cruise critic friends that those fill up, so no need to mention that).

Thanks a lot!

i can't answer your first question - maybe someone else can.

regarding your second question - someone answered in another thread that when she pre-booked, she had to call up to get the discount. She wasn't able to pre-book online.

IF you want to "wing" it, then do so with the full acceptance of no availability.

There are limits on Toursaver acceptance, so don't think just becuase you have a coupon that you will be able to use with walk up bookings. It also depends on how tight your time is?? IF you have a couple days to take the tour, then certainly you have more time slots to get a discount ticket. BUT, if you are tight on your schedule and have limited time for that rafting trip- a single afternoon, as an example. You might want to book ahead.

MUST booking ahead will be any flights and boat tours. These have limited coupon acceptance.

Call the vendors directly and inquire about their booking with coupon usage availablity.

Thanks a lot!

In my experience, in Alaska waiting to book and "playing it by ear" almost always costs more than booking in advance. As was said, many toursaver coupons have limited availability. Actually the shuttle bus in Denali is the one thing you could leave until spring and not have any issues with it filling up! But boat and flight tours, some rafting tours and some lodging coupons definitely reach a "maximum" that each vendor will accept per season. I remember booking for something with Toursaver for a May trip. When I arrived they said that they were glad I booked early since they were not accepting any more toursaver coupons for the season!

With my helicopter excursion I had to book it online to get the 2 for 1 deal. I did call them to ask about it, and I tried to first reserve for the deal and then buy the book. They said they could not do it this way, I had to book online and enter the code from the book.

At least I confirmed they were still taking the tour saver coupons, and also which time slot to book for. It is a little nerve racking because at no point do you see what price you are paying on the web page - there is no button to hit for confirming the price. There was a spot on the web page to make a notation, so I put in my port times as there is no way to select exact times either. Just morning, mid afternoon, etc.

Someone emailed me back a confirmation & also changed the time slot from 6pm to 3pm, which is more what I was hoping for.

I don't know how it works with other tour saver tours, because that is the only one I have booked so far. For expensive tours I am sure though they need to be pre-booked, the things like Mt. Roberts tramway or the Lumberjack show I would think you could just walk up with the book.

One more thing, every page instructs the coupon is void if already detached from the book.

With my helicopter excursion I had to book it online to get the 2 for 1 deal. I did call them to ask about it, and I tried to first reserve for the deal and then buy the book. They said they could not do it this way, I had to book online and enter the code from the book.

At least I confirmed they were still taking the tour saver coupons, and also which time slot to book for. It is a little nerve racking because at no point do you see what price you are paying on the web page - there is no button to hit for confirming the price. There was a spot on the web page to make a notation, so I put in my port times as there is no way to select exact times either. Just morning, mid afternoon, etc.

Someone emailed me back a confirmation & also changed the time slot from 6pm to 3pm, which is more what I was hoping for.

I don't know how it works with other tour saver tours, because that is the only one I have booked so far. For expensive tours I am sure though they need to be pre-booked, the things like Mt. Roberts tramway or the Lumberjack show I would think you could just walk up with the book.

One more thing, every page instructs the coupon is void if already detached from the book.

that's crazy that you don't see the price you're paying....that would really rattle me...

good to know about not detaching the coupons!!!

that's crazy that you don't see the price you're paying....that would really rattle me...

good to know about not detaching the coupons!!!

Right - you get the initial info on how much the excursion is - $268. I did see some sort of 10% discount for booking online, but no way I could do this excursion with that discount. I had emailed the company & also spoke to someone on the phone, and in the end I felt comfortable that if I was not able to get the deal I wanted that they would not go ahead & charge my credit card for the full amount of 2 tours.

I have not toured with them yet but they seem reputable I was assured with it being this early & the toursaver book only recently coming out, that I would be able to get the deal.

Archived