is it crazy to cruise in sept.?

H. Season will be going on in september. is it too big a risk to go then? whats the sailing like out of jacksonville, fl. out of charleston was a bit rough and we were told that due to the cold fronts that come through more often. i dont even really think that makes sense but thats what we were told by lots of the crew members. said that sailing out of florida might be smoother ride due to warmer southern weather?

make sure you have travel insurance and that those back home..babysitters..employers..neighbors..etc. know that you are cruising in H season....just in case you are delayed in returning.

we were delayed4 days coming home when Frances blew thru.

Also, if you are flying...do try to book on an airline that frequents your embark/debark STATE...not port...as we never returned to PC..we returned to FLL...and thankfully Jetblue had many flights available for us that day...as they jockeyed the planes down there for the 20,000 plus cruisers who would be looking for flights that day:D

Air Canada pax on the other hand had a 5 day wait for a flight.:eek:

not crazy at all.

better fares, and the worst that can happen is you get diverted, have a deviation in cruise length, or possibly change your embarkation or debarkation point.

we've taken the gamble, and have always won.

the odds are in your favor.

We cruise every year Sept or Oct. Great fares and figure worst that can happen is our itinerary will change.

Went to Bermuda in Sept and missed hurricane but middle day tropical storm came thru Bermuda and lots of rain but probably our best cruise ever.

I've cruised 7 times in September and have only missed 2 ports and never delayed in returning. And only a couple of times have we even had very rough sea's.

It's a great value if you can tolerate the unexpected adventure.

I cruised in Sept where Ike wiped out Galveston and never saw my car.. so the risk of missing ports is minor to me.

As long as I cruise and my car is safe back at the port, the cruise can take me anywhere.

The following year we missed 2 out of 3 ports and had a uprising on the ship. People who did not understand the contract says they can miss ports for your safety.

if the ports dont matter to you .. then go in Sept.

Rough water is the least of your worries though.. I would not give them a second though.

I've deliberately started cruising in October the past 2 years. Love the lowered prices and hardly any kiddies on board. Me and DH go into it knowing there is a chance for missed ports and both agree that we're ok with it as long as we aren't at work.:)

The only potential negative sailing outta Jax, if there was bad weather, and especially a lot of rain, it could delay the previous cruise's arrival and/or your departure because the ship must go under a bridge. If too much rain, the tides are higher and ship's unable to get a safe clearance under the bridge until the water recedes or low tide.

okay then, another question: so lets say the previous cruise is a day late coming back. do we still get the 5 day or 7 days we paid for, or is our cruise cut short due to late arrivals??

If the ship came back a day late from the previous cruise, then your cruise would be cut short a day. You would be refunded for the missed cruise day.

okay then, another question: so lets say the previous cruise is a day late coming back. do we still get the 5 day or 7 days we paid for, or is our cruise cut short due to late arrivals??

I did a last minute 3 day cruise on Ecstasy to nowhere .. because the cruise before was a day late coming in. Big enough storm it could not get in the day before.

Since it was 3 days instead of 4, they gave people a 25% OBC.

Some times they are more generous and also give you a discount on a future cruise. No ports as there was not time to get to a foreign port and home.

I talked to one gal who said she missed Caymans 3 times out of 3, so it happens. Thats a tender port so Caymans missed a lot.

I've deliberately started cruising in October the past 2 years. Love the lowered prices and hardly any kiddies on board. Me and DH go into it knowing there is a chance for missed ports and both agree that we're ok with it as long as we aren't at work.:)

The only potential negative sailing outta Jax, if there was bad weather, and especially a lot of rain, it could delay the previous cruise's arrival and/or your departure because the ship must go under a bridge. If too much rain, the tides are higher and ship's unable to get a safe clearance under the bridge until the water recedes or low tide.

I seem to remember more than one cruise where the ship could not get in because it had to wait for the water to go down under the bridge a extra day and people were furious. At least twice this happened? Out of JAX.

H. Season will be going on in september. is it too big a risk to go then? whats the sailing like out of jacksonville, fl. out of charleston was a bit rough and we were told that due to the cold fronts that come through more often. i dont even really think that makes sense but thats what we were told by lots of the crew members. said that sailing out of florida might be smoother ride due to warmer southern weather?

Half the year is hurricane season. The other half is winter with the associated cold fronts.

I sail every year in late September or early October and only missed ports once. Not too bad, in fact, it's a pretty good success ratio!

:)

No, it's not crazy. We do it all the time. Look at the dates in my signature!

Risky? Yes, somewhat. You can't predict the weather!

Safe? Yes. The captain will steer around and away from any storm when possible.

Itinerary? If the storm is hitting or rapidly approaching one of your destinations you will, or may be diverted to another destination or possibly a day at sea.

In all the years we've sailed we've only been affected twice. No big deal, really.

You roll the dice and take your chances when you're trying to save money. ;)

I have cruised several times in September and the weather has been great in the Caribbean! One time on a Princess cruise, we had to change to the Western instead of the Eastern, due to a Hurricane. The Captain made a good decision-we had beautiful, sunny weather all week!

We almost always cruise in the fall. In October this year going out of Ft Lauderdale it was rainy, but the sun came through the next day and it was beautiful the rest of the cruise.

I love the fall to cruise because:

1. Less kids and families (sorry kids can be LOUD and I'm cruising to relax, I work in a loud environment and I want less stimulation)

2. the water is MUCH warmer to snorkle and all (even Grand Cayman was too cool for me to snorkle in February and Bahamas was horribly cold, my husband did the snorkle and I sat on the beach shivering)

3. the prices are amazing!!! But like Becca we always know the ports might change and we accept that without complaint.

4. Travel insurance, don't leave home without it. You never know when the unexpected may happen and you want to be prepared or at least reimbursed!!!

Cheers, Carole

I've cruised 4 times in September. Yes, you run the risk missing a port because it's peak time during hurricane season, so you have to be flexible. I've never missed a port (knock on wood) and only had 1 really rainy day in Grand Cayman. It's a great time to cruise because there aren't a lot of kids on board.

We too, have cruised many, many times in September, and we too have never missed a cruise. We have missed ports, and have even gone Western, when we were supposed to go Eastern, but we've had EXCELLENT cruises that time of year. Take the risk, and buy insurance if you're concerned. It's gonna be a GREAT cruise! :D

"SKY"

I LOVE to cruise in September and February.

I love the prices and the weather!!! Leaving the 100s or maybe only the 90s in Texas in September... and seeing 80s and 90s in ports is GREAT!!!

I hope for a bit of motion in the ocean... But sometimes I don't get my wish!! I've sail in the Atlantic in September and in the Caribbean and Gulf and seen GLASS seas... Perfect reflections of the clouds in the water, it was boringly smooth!!!

And once, I was on the first cruise on the CONQUEST out of Galveston -- actually Bayport -- after the hurricane hit and they had to cancel cruises.

Book what fits your budget and schedule... and most likely all will be fine!!!

Archived