PG Newbie Questions

suzski

Okay, I'm am PG newbie, so please don't hurt me....:o

I will retire from the military next winter after 30 years and was looking at a website and noticed that PG gives MAJOR discounts for military....but they have to be active duty (unlike other cruise lines which give the discount to retired personnel). So, I started doing the in-depth research on the PG website and really, I should have not even looked! I did not know what I was missing! Under 350 cruisers?! Free drinks?! Oh, and all in FP? Wow!!!!!

Long story short....I....well, my husband and I have decided that we will go on a PG cruise, probably in September or October. However, right now the site is not showing a military discount for those months. They are showing a decent rate for an oceanview in October.

So, here's my question. Is PG like other cruise lines when it comes to honoring reductions in pricing? And, with so few people onboard, can I even expect the price to reduce? I'm really, really hoping that the stars and moon align and the military rate will open up for a balcony (sorry, don't mean to be greedy), but if it doesn't, am I really missing anything if I "just" get an oceanview?

Thanks so much for listening/reading!

It was wonderful having a balcony cabin on the PG. There is nothing nicer than having a glass of wine before dinner and watching the sun go down. We had an aft balcony which are larger rooms and balconies. If you can afford to try to get 767.;)

This is why we decided on the balcony cabin for our upcoming cruise, we adore dressing for dinner while enjoying sunset and sailaway our balcony...it gives one of us a place to be while the other is occupying the teeny tiny bathroom;)

The bathrooms on the pG are quite comfortable IMO. Cabins are quite small but since we are hardly in we dont really feel it.

While we have a balcony on every other cruise we never do on the PG. Cost is one factor but also after a couple of times on the ship you learn to use the window ledge for wonderful storage.

Appreciate all the thoughts. Spoke with the hubby and we're leaning towards doing the 10 night vice 7 night. With that, we'll end up with a oceanview. We figured we'd rather spend for the additional nights rather than the balcony although, we too, are used to a balcony cabin on the larger ships.

I agree that the balcony cabins just aren't worth it on the PG--otherwise I have to have one. We had one once on the PG, and I did sit out there a couple of times, but often it was too hot. Nice to have the floor-to-ceiling window, of course. But you will spend very little time in your cabin.

We are just the opposite! We would never cruise without a balcony, we enjoy our time spent out there. We like to eat our room service breakfast or watch the sunrise as we come into port, or generally find a few minutes of peace and quiet away from everyone else.

If we sailed on PG again, we would definitely get another balcony stateroom.

mikenbob,

The one thing that I do miss with the PG window cabin is the fresh air and sound of the sea.

I usually go up to La Palette fairly early and sit outside with my coffee. Have also got totally comfortable with the PG 4th deck. The one time we booked higher up I had to totally reorientate myself from my natural instinct.

Cannot wait for the 2013 itineraries. Need to have a PG booking to look forward to.

mikenbob,

The one thing that I do miss with the PG window cabin is the fresh air and sound of the sea.

I usually go up to La Palette fairly early and sit outside with my coffee. Have also got totally comfortable with the PG 4th deck. The one time we booked higher up I had to totally reorientate myself from my natural instinct.

Cannot wait for the 2013 itineraries. Need to have a PG booking to look forward to.

We would have enjoyed the back deck more as you have described Emdee, but as a designated smoking area on the ship, it made it impossible for the non-smokers to hang out there. The two times we tried to sit there we were bathed in cigarette smoke. Another reason to have a balcony!

• 3 weeks later...

Suzski-- My hubby is active duty military too. We got an awesome deal via USAA; well under PG published fares, as well as the fares you are quoted when you call PG directly. Do you have a USAA credit card? If so, you can redeem your points to lower your cruise fare even lower. Call USAA and they can assist you.

Suzski-- My hubby is active duty military too. We got an awesome deal via USAA; well under PG published fares, as well as the fares you are quoted when you call PG directly. Do you have a USAA credit card? If so, you can redeem your points to lower your cruise fare even lower. Call USAA and they can assist you.

Thanks for the tip!

Archived