Caribbean - March or April weather which is better?

anniegb

Hi

Apologies if I have posted this question in the wrong place.

I am contemplating a 14 day Caribbean cruise in either March or April.

I have total flexibility re travel dates.

Which is the better month to cruise esp for weather?

Thanks in advance

Annie

We cruised the Caribbean 21 March - 4 April 2011 for the first time, our first day it rained, our 2nd day was very cloudy and overcast, but lots of people on our ship got burned, so watch out for that too, and the rest of the cruise was complete sunshine.

We also had friends who were on the cruise the 2 weeks before us and they had good weather too.

Hope this helps.

Texmex

Hi

Thanks in advance

Annie

Hi AnnieGb,

As you are so flexible with your dates, I'm guessing you will cruising without children...

So if peace and quiet is important to you... you may want to shy away from dates when there will be a lot of kiddies on board... more families with children to be seen around School Breaks (ie March Break, Easter etc).

Easter next year happens Sunday ~ April 8, 2012

Not sure when Spring / March Breaks are elsewhere... they do seem to fluctuate across the US & Canada by State / Province ... different weeks in different regions... so perhaps others might volunteer that info, or there is always GOOGLE. (Example - About.com "March / Spring Break Canada" = http://gocanada.about.com/od/publicholidaysincanada/a/March_break_canada.htm )

BUT, I do know that here in Ontario (Canada's most populous Province), ours happens always mid-March (in 2012 will be March 12 - 16 inclusive).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Hi

Thanks in advance

Annie

We did a 10 night Southern Caribbean cruise on Millennium from San Juan PR April; 8 ,2011 & we had fabulous weather though out the cruise & no rain :D.

You might get a better price in March for your cruise;).Suggest that you do a google search : March weather in the Caribbean & then another search : April Weather in the Caribbean . That will give you a history ;but ,I would also go with the less costly cruise price:p

Thanks everybody - I was veering towards April but someone helpfully pointed out - that will be Easter.

I may have wrongly assumed that if families were on board during March break, they would not sail Easter esp on a 14 day cruise?

I come from a large family but I do confess I like my peace and quiet.

Annie

Hi

Thanks in advance

Annie

How is end of January/ February, we are booked 14 nights, first time in that region of the world (Caribbean)

Other than it being slightly cooler there is not a significant difference between Jan and Apr.

You have to remember that you are near the equator so there aren't large fluctuations in temperature other than a cold front that could blow in from the north.

What does fluctuate is rain and rainy season aka hurricane season is technically June-Nov although depending on the part of the Caribbean you are going to the peak season will vary ie. Western Carib peak season is last 2 weeks of Aug through first 2 weeks of Oct. Eastern Carib is a bit earlier by say 2 weeks and ends a bit earlier.

I'd ignore the anecdotal one off stuff ie. I was in there once and it rained - that's true of anywhere you might go

Other than it being slightly cooler there is not a significant difference between Jan and Apr.

You have to remember that you are near the equator so there aren't large fluctuations in temperature other than a cold front that could blow in from the north.

What does fluctuate is rain and rainy season aka hurricane season is technically June-Nov although depending on the part of the Caribbean you are going to the peak season will vary ie. Western Carib peak season is last 2 weeks of Aug through first 2 weeks of Oct. Eastern Carib is a bit earlier by say 2 weeks and ends a bit earlier.

I'd ignore the anecdotal one off stuff ie. I was in there once and it rained - that's true of anywhere you might go

Thanks caribbeansun.

We are West Australians and are used to the hot weather. Nothing spoils a holiday like rain or too cool to sun on the deck. John

We try to book one week after Easter or later but not too far into May. That way spring breaks are over. I also like to book a bit later in April so the daylight hours are longer. We have cruised at all times but this time frame has consistently had great weather. Have a great cruise.

We are sailing 4/14 on Summit for a 7 nt cruise and am wondering if you think that we are safe from the Easter break crowd. We were hoping for not too many kids. Any thoughts?

We're on the same cruise, and booked B2B the following week too. We're hopeful that the previous week is spring break week. We'll see...

Weather will be about the same... I think the weather is about the same year round, with more rain during August-November.

Actually summer/fall even without a hurricane tend to be "dustier" if I can put it. The visibility is much reduced, and you often will not have those views of "the next island"

• 2 months later...

I've vacationed in the USVI in early April and early May and found the weather to be much better in April than May. One year we got 5 days of rain in May out of a 10 day trip. Also, in the DC area most schools are on spring break either the week before or after Easter. Some are on break the whole week before or the whole week after, or a few days either side of the holiday. We don't have a separate spring break - it's usually combined with the Easter holiday.

Archived