MDR on the Elation now she's in NOLA

Trin1103

I was wanting to talk a little about the Elation now that she has had her spruce-up and is working out of NOLA. She's not a ship that gets a whole lot of love (or attention) on here - but she's the one we're sailing in a little over a month!

Anybody have any info/experience on how the MDR functions on the Elation? I mean - specifically, how are the wait staff? How is the food? I know Carnival's food and new menus off by heart - but nothing beats first-hand accounts.

Cheers,

..Trin..

I just returned from the Elation on Monday. The dining room service was better than I have experienced in quite a few cruises. Our waiter (Robertino) was very efficient. We actually had to wait a while after dessert to experience the dining room “entertainment.”

As far as the food, it was mediocre at best. In fact, it was my 4th cruise in just as many months and was by far the worst I have experienced with the new menus. There has been much debate concerning the “comfort food” selections and I would consider myself a critic of that decision; however, on this cruise I actually welcomed the fried chicken option as I had to send back each of my original selections for one reason or another.

To say I am disappointed in the direction Carnival dining fare has taken (along with other aspects of the Carnival cruise experience) would be an understatement. I sincerely hope the Elation can get her dining room act together before your time onboard. Regardless, I hope it does not damper your vacation as I surely did not let it ruin mine;)

Happy sailings!

I have had the best ever waiter one elation cruise this year and the other had my favorite ever waiter/asst waiter. No complaints there, and Iv had bad experiences on other ships, but not Elation.

I did Triumph last month and the nightly spinach dip I hated, and I like it from some restaurants. Maybe just hit me a off night .. but its was a nightly offering along with the fried chicken. I found plenty to eat, but cant say Im a big fan of the new foods either.

I've seen quite a few threads on Elation, look around. Its a very pretty ship, especially the lido area.

I had to send back each of my original selections for one reason or another.

Thanks for the input - can you elaborate on what was wrong with your original dishes? I am curious.......

I'm glad to hear that the wait service seems pretty good on the Elation. As we all know - every ship's different even if in the same line. Sounds like the Elation's run pretty tight. Yes - I know all about the controvesial menu updates - but also have heard great things about the food so meh........I guess it is in the eye of the beholder.

..Trin..

can you elaborate on what was wrong with your original dishes?

The grilled chicken was undercooked twice, the ribs were barely warm and not very tender and the pasta dish was too salty (almost as if there was a salt shaker accident:rolleyes:).

The appetizers, especially the soups and the greek farmer salad, were actually quite good. I may order several appetizers and skip the entrées next time.

I just got off the Elation Monday as well. I only ate in the main dining room for elegantly night. The food was good. I had the lobster and my wife had the prime rib. Although it was good my wife said the prime rib was cold. We just figured its what happens when you have late dining. The warm chocolate melting cake was awesome. I'm not a big chocolate fan but my mouth is watering thinking about it. As posted above entertainment was late that night but I'm not complaining about It. My waiter was awesone, as soon as I finished my lobster he had another sitting in front of me. Tiffanys on lido deck was my favorite spot for all meals. There was just such a large selection of different foods we loved everyday we ate there sometimes for all three meals.

Mini-bars in suites only. (I refuse to call them refrigerators)

Well, pooh. Thanks Big Duck. It astounds me that any cruiseline would still operate ships without "mini-bars" and room balconies....with the exception of just a few overpriced suites.

The grilled chicken was undercooked twice, the ribs were barely warm and not very tender and the pasta dish was too salty (almost as if there was a salt shaker accident:rolleyes:).

The appetizers, especially the soups and the greek farmer salad, were actually quite good. I may order several appetizers and skip the entrées next time.

My Elation review - we were on the 1st cruise out of NOLA on 11/5 - is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1517749

We also found the appetizers to be very good and the entrees to be just OK. However, the salads, fruit, and shrimp apps were great. My wife had the fried chicken twice; once it was "pretty good" and the 2nd time it was undercooked. I tried it and think KFC is alot tastier.

Oh OK - yeah, LOL. I see your point - undercooked chicken is NOT cool. I don't blame you there - I've done my fair share of sending back chicken to kitchen that I think is undercooked. I'd rather have a dried out piece of chicken jerky than an undercooked piece!!

That's great to know about the appetizers. It seems that the food reviews - give or take the outlying awful and superb ones - are pretty much the same across the board........the new menu sucks compared to the old one, but mostly the food that is served is pretty good. Thanks!

..Trin..

We were on the 12/03 sailing. My husband had chicken one night and it was undercooked. The flat iron steak is nothing to write home about. The spinach side dish was cold and I couldn't eat it. I tried some of the didja stuff and it had a very strong garlic taste.

We had Anytime Dining and we had Hector and Carthick(?) the first night and asked for them for the rest of the week. Hector was kind of no nonsense, but Carthick was fun.

Sewut

Archived