wheelchairs

tango9

My mother will be sailing on the Victory soon. She gets short of breath if she walks much and will have trouble with the long hallways. When I was on the Miracle recently, I asked the purser about wheelchairs which I saw other guests using ( had Carnival Miracle on the back). She said that the ships had wheelchairs they could loan a guest to use all week, and even could take off of the ship. When I recently called Carnival's special guest services, they said that the wheelchairs varied from ship to ship, but that they were really only for emergency use. Has anyone had experience with a wheelchair given out of the purser's desk?

From what I understand, the wheelchairs on the ship are for emergencies... from reading posts on this board, it seems most people either rent them from a company near the port or bring their own. You may want to do a search and see what others have done and companies they have used....

We were on the Conquest last November and were able to get a wheelchair for my mother. They required a $50.00 deposit. There seemed to be quite a few people using "Conquest" wheelchairs and were suprised that they even had one available.

You can call carnival a number of times and get conflicting information. We sailed on the Victory with my mom who has the same problem as your mom. We rented a wheel chair from the people who cater to the ships. On the Victory-- we could use the chair on the ship but were not allowed to take it off. (for lawsuit reasons)

Do your self a favor and rent the chair. that way there can be no problem if your mom wants to get off the ship. I would hate to be onbaord to find out my mom couldnt get to any of the ports coz she had no way around.

The company will deliver the chair to your cabin. after the cruise you leave it with the pursers desk and they will pick it up

Do you know how much the wheelchair your rented was???? I may bring my moms walker, which has wheels and a seat.Liz

If I recall it was about 50 bucks for the week. Not abad price for piece of mind. On a ship there is a lot of walking so keep that in mind when deciding on the walker.

Archived