TV 's on Nieuw Amsterdam......

sail7seas

I know this is being really picky and is about a -1- on the list of what matters during our cruises but I'm curious.....

Were we the only ones that had a horrid tv /remote that we couldn't get to work? We asked for new and they were close to unusable. We noticed the tv brand is different than we have seen on other ships. I think they were brand 'solo' or something like that.

Anyone else experience a pain in the neck TV on Nieuw Amsterdam?

I don't recall having any problems ... I'll ask DW when she comes home.

I zoomed in on a pic I took of the room and could read that it was "sole", with an accent mark over the e. See http://www.soletv.com/

:)

:D Whatever the brand, I don't recommend it. :eek: ;)

I enlarged your photo to see you have shoulder length hair? If it is of average thickness, the ship's hair blower should be okay. If your hair is very thick, I'd suggest bringing your own. My hair is short and the ship's blower works great for me.

I thought the problem might have been that the remote battery was low but I never did get around to asking about it. It would not work more than a few feet away from the TV. When that happens at home a new battery does the trick.

I thought the problem might have been that the remote battery was low but I never did get around to asking about it. It would not work more than a few feet away from the TV. When that happens at home a new battery does the trick.

We changed the battery and it was no different. Asked our steward for a new remote. No better if, indeed, he did replace it.

I enlarged your photo to see you have shoulder length hair? If it is of average thickness, the ship's hair blower should be okay. If your hair is very thick, I'd suggest bringing your own. My hair is short and the ship's blower works great for me.

It usually takes me about 15 minutes to blow dry my hair at home. I just like a powerful dryer, sometimes the ones some hotels have that are mounted to the wall are AWFUL. I hoping it's not one of those.

No, HAL's blowers are stronger than the wall mount versions. They are hand held and I would guess they are approx 1700 - 1800 watts.

That'll work

We just don't turn the TV on. Can't you just turn on the TV the old fashioned way?

The only reason to watch TV would be if you could check your onboard account. Can you do that on HAL now?

You cannot see your shipboard account on tv on HAL ships.

Some of us like to hear the news.

We watch movies.

We like to have use of our TV.

I know this is being really picky and is about a -1- on the list of what matters during our cruises but I'm curious.....

Were we the only ones that had a horrid tv /remote that we couldn't get to work? We asked for new and they were close to unusable. We noticed the tv brand is different than we have seen on other ships. I think they were brand 'solo' or something like that.

Anyone else experience a pain in the neck TV on Nieuw Amsterdam?

Well, it doesn't matter to me what brand of t.v./remote may be in the stateroom as I don't go on a cruise travel adventure to sit & watch t.v. in my stateroom! :rolleyes:

We just don't turn the TV on. Can't you just turn on the TV the old fashioned way?

The only reason to watch TV would be if you could check your onboard account. Can you do that on HAL now?

No! :( But you can on X! :) HAL has not, as yet, progressed to "interactive" t.v.'s in the staterooms! :rolleyes:

I do....

and I want it to work.

I want to watch news when I want, I want to watch a movie when I want and I want all items in my cabin to operate in the manner intended.

I do not have unlimited stamina and know my limits. When I need to stop, rest a while in my cabin, I want our tv to operate properly.

If it is in my cabin, I expect it to work or to be repaired in the event it needs 'fixing'.

I always realize that everyone enjoys their vacation in their own way and try to not judge their choices. ;)

I am a news junkie and DH I think loves the tv just for the sound, I think:rolleyes: that being said I think the remote on the NA was a pain in the neck. But the fact that they had Fox news and some pretty neat movies made up for the lousy remote:):):)

It's interesting others had the same problems with the remote/tv's on Nieuw Amsterdam. We've never had those problems before.

DH rarely sees a whole movie at home...... it's a pleasure for him to have the free time to watch a movie from start to finish on his vacation.

I am a news junkie and like to keep up to date...... :)

For crying out loud:rolleyes:

Who said anything about cruising with the sole intent of being able to watch TV? As if anyone truly goes on a cruise to sit and glue themselves to the boob-tube. And if that indeed WERE the case, who cares?

Couldn't agree more....sometimes it's great to lounge around in bed and watch a movie, even more luxurious if you don't get the time at home to do so.

I certainly don't cruise for the TV, but it oughtta work when I want it to, and if I feel like using the TV for anything (ships position, weather, news, bow-cam....etc, etc, etc) I have an expectation that it should not be fraught with PITA issues.

When they replaced the old CRT TVs with flat screens they put them on the same TV shelf but further back so the remote has to shoot over the shelf to "see" the infrared sensor which is at the base of the TV. Holding it higher up than chest height has helped, but won't help much if the remote is defective or the batteries are low.

When in an Inside room it's nice to turn on the bow cam and see the world outside, especially first thing in the morning to see if it's raining. Just another perspective! m--

And I'd like to add: Show me anyone who is having a 'travel adventure' 24 hours a day. Where are these people? Not on HAL, I'd bet:) No down time before bed? No 'music' in the morning? No 'what's on the movie channel?' while getting ready for dinner, or whenever?

Sometimes there is little self-awareness/realism in some of the replies here.

And I'd like to add: Show me anyone who is having a 'travel adventure' 24 hours a day. Where are these people? Not on HAL, I'd bet:) No down time before bed? No 'music' in the morning? No 'what's on the movie channel?' while getting ready for dinner, or whenever?

Sometimes there is little self-awareness/realism in some of the replies here.

DH watches the news on the TV in the gym -- he is there by 6 AM. I have to do certain exercises for my spine in the morning.

We can catch a little news sometimes on the TV in the Neptune Lounge when we stop in for a snack.

While getting ready for dinner -- we do that quickly so that we can go to a lounge to have cocktails and people watch.

When we are ready to retire for the evening - I have the wonderful job of setting up DH's many pills for the next day ( to keep him alive ). Both of take time to set up our morning clothes -- he has 2 outfits -- one for the gym and one for the morning like bermudas, etc.

We do not spend much time in our cabin -- ports -- activities keep us busy. And we do love to spend a lot of time on our verandah - especially me while DH takes naps in the afternoon because of his medications.

Just speaking for us as to why we do not need to watch TV on a cruise.

There are some people here who cruise just to be on the ship. We are not that type.

Archived