Snorkel in Belize or Cozumel?

cml88

Hi guys,

Just book a cruise for August 2012 and we will be going to Belize and Cozumel...I've read that the snorkeling in both places is pretty great..but I want your opinion!

I've been snorkeling once before in Grand Turk and absolutley loved it! I wouldn't call my self an "experienced" snorkeling but I am not a beginner either. I'm very active and enjoy snorkeling in a bit deeper of water (10-20 ft)...I'm NOT looking for some on-shore snorkeling experience and i know many of the excursions are just that....sooo what do you think, Belize or Cozumel?

Hi guys,

Just book a cruise for August 2012 and we will be going to Belize and Cozumel...I've read that the snorkeling in both places is pretty great..but I want your opinion!

I've been snorkeling once before in Grand Turk and absolutley loved it! I wouldn't call my self an "experienced" snorkeling but I am not a beginner either. I'm very active and enjoy snorkeling in a bit deeper of water (10-20 ft)...I'm NOT looking for some on-shore snorkeling experience and i know many of the excursions are just that....sooo what do you think, Belize or Cozumel?

It's no contest - Cozumel has magnificent off shore reefs. That's not to degrade Belize. Snorkeling there is good, but it's mostly shore entry from one of the small islands.

The best solution: Snorkel both!:D

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2260604110088053251pHnxmG

I've had good snorkeling in both places. The snorkeling from shore was pretty good on Coz before Hurricane Wilma, but the shallow coral was damaged pretty badly. It is coming back, but the offshore reef snorkeling is the best. We did a boat trip out of Playa Palancar that was great. We had 8 people onboard. Cost $35@ a couple of years back.

We have done a couple of boat tours in Belize. There are several good local companies. We used Fab Tours for a boat snorkel and then went to Bannister Island. I read that Fab bought their own island after we were there. I honestly do not know if they are still in business. You might Google and see. Our last trip was thru Star Tours out of Cay Caulker. The tour was good but the outboard quit 3 or 4 times going out to the reef. The guide didn't have a watch so I had to keep track of the time and the water taxis were a pain in the rear. We almost missed the last one and I have heard that it is worse since the companies changed. I wouldn't do this one again.

I would check out Coral Breeze now. They have good reviews and have been in business for a long spell.

The snorkeling opportunities in Belize are all a fairly long distance away from the ship, will consume most of your day for maybe 90 minutes in the water. Bannister Island is closer, but not great snorkeling. Caye Caulker is better snorkeling, and the Shark Ray Alley tour (if still available from Coral Breezes) is good but takes all day.

You have much more variety of opportunities in Cozumel, either through ships tours, private tours, or on your own. You can snorkel from shore on your own at decent reefs at the Money Bar, Corona Beach Club, or Chankanaab Park. When you are tired of snorkeling, you will have time left for shopping or sightseeing. If you go on your own, just mind the currents: Ask which direction they are flowing, and plan your entry/exit points accordingly.

It's no contest - Cozumel has magnificent off shore reefs. That's not to degrade Belize. Snorkeling there is good, but it's mostly shore entry from one of the small islands.

The best solution: Snorkel both!:D

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2260604110088053251pHnxmG

Some of the offshore reefs in coz are lovely, but if you take the effort to get to the barrier reef in belize, it is much better. Go out to the cays, do a boat entry snorkel, you won't be disappointed.

The snorkeling opportunities in Belize are all a fairly long distance away from the ship, will consume most of your day for maybe 90 minutes in the water. Bannister Island is closer, but not great snorkeling. Caye Caulker is better snorkeling, and the Shark Ray Alley tour (if still available from Coral Breezes) is good but takes all day.

You have much more variety of opportunities in Cozumel, either through ships tours, private tours, or on your own. You can snorkel from shore on your own at decent reefs at the Money Bar, Corona Beach Club, or Chankanaab Park. When you are tired of snorkeling, you will have time left for shopping or sightseeing. If you go on your own, just mind the currents: Ask which direction they are flowing, and plan your entry/exit points accordingly.

We did a shark ray alley/ambergris cay tour that was fantastic. They picked you up right from the ship so you didn't have to tender in, snorkel for a couple hours on the reef, lunch/time to walk and shop on Ambergris, then drinks and music on the sail back to the ship. We did it through NCL, I know those type of offering vary greatly from line to line. We were on CCL a year ago in Belize and were dissapointed with no similar offering....

When we were in Belize, we did not snorkel. So I can not offer advice on there (plus I heard you have to take a long trip to get to the reef).

But Cozumel, I found awesome. We went to Chankanaab and the place was AMAZING!! We are planning a trip back next year we loved it so much.

Here's a complete review that I did on it back in September with a link at the bottom of the review to pictures taken there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

Another place that we had planned on going to before we decided Chankanaab is The Money Bar. It basically has the same type of snorkeling but at a much smaller spot. No beach but a wall, just like Chank, that you walk down steps to get into the water. Plus it's free. :) If you want more info, do a search on either Chankanaab or Money Bar on here and you'll come up with a lot of info.

you get much more snorkeling time in cozumel the reef in Belize is at least a 45 minute ride out... we took an excursion from the Liberty of the seas and it wasn't worth it took us to a small island after a 45 minute boat ride .. very difficult walking in and putting flippers on as a lot of coral/rocks.. etc.. and not much time to snorkel..and actually better snorkeling in Cozumel right off shore.. whether from a boat or from Chank or Money Bar.. if a choice.. definitely choose Coz

Besides Money Bar and Chank, there's also decent snorkeling from shore at:

Corona Beach Club, a small friendly place with mostly locals close to Chank.

Just across the street from Papa Hogg's Scuba Emporium, there is a small public beach area with no services. Close by is LaPalapita beach club, with chairs and drink service.

Sunset Beach, where you can book a vairety of excursions cheaper than the ship, including Snuba, snorkel tours, glass bottom boats, etc.

Besides Money Bar and Chank, there's also decent snorkeling from shore at:

Corona Beach Club, a small friendly place with mostly locals close to Chank.

Corona Beach looked really good for snorkeling. We went there on our last trip to Coz, but we didn't get to snorkel because of the weather. The place is secluded and does not get the attention that the bigger places get. Chankanaab is about a 1/4 mile up the road. The locals running the place didn't have a phone to call a cab. They offered to walk out to the main road and flag one down but we declined and decided to walk up to Chank.

I would definately go back.

Archived