we're the problem

westmount

I am very lucky that in less than a week, myself, my wife and two daughters will be joining the cast and crew for two weeks on the Quest floating effortlesly for our holidays. Our first cruise was on the Spirit (I think) from Rome to Istanbul on the night Italy won the world cup, and from that experience we fell in love with everything Seabourn has to offer. We were just on the Oceania Marina (great ship) and have tried Azamara and Regent, but nothing compares to how Seabourn does things quietly and well.

For us, the small ships were wonderful, the bigger sisters better. We sailed HK to Dubai a couple of years ago when the Odessey was new, and it was perfect. If there are complaints these days, I for one doubt it is bad staff, but simply more passengers with more ideas of what makes great service. I'm affraid that the expansion has simply brought Seabourn to more people, which is great, and with that more opinions of what constitutes luxury service. We happen to enjoy nice people with a smile enjoying life's finer things, Seabourn is one of them, and we have all seen it when a passenger simply cannot get enough attention or service to their liking. Seabourn, by going from 600 passengers to 2000 a week have brought on themselves more business, but more headaches as well.

I guess I will find out fist hand what has changed the most next week, the staff or the passengers, but my guess is Seabourn's reputation as the best out there will continue, we all just have to learn how to get along a bit better and and remember we're ALL on vacation, just enjoy yourselves.

Westmount:)

If there are complaints these days, I for one doubt it is bad staff, but simply more passengers with more ideas of what makes great service. I'm affraid that the expansion has simply brought Seabourn to more people, which is great, and with that more opinions of what constitutes luxury service. We happen to enjoy nice people with a smile enjoying life's finer things, Seabourn is one of them, and we have all seen it when a passenger simply cannot get enough attention or service to their liking. Seabourn, by going from 600 passengers to 2000 a week have brought on themselves more business, but more headaches as well.

Well we certainly experienced one bad situation which I have already documented here on CC so I won't repeat, so no I don't consider we're the problem as yes you do come across situations when things are not quite right. Increasing passengers is not going to give Seabourn more headaches what will give them headaches is not having the fully trained staff to work to the high standards they and their esteemed guests expect. I worked in the hospitality industry for many years and notice operational issues (which I have to say can drive my poor DH mad!) and there were quite a few staff on the Seabourn Quest TA who were less experienced than I would have expected. But we all have to learn (and I know some would say well they need to learn before they come on board and I'm sure they do training but nothing can replicate "real life situations" - our Stewardess had just joined and this was her very first voyage on her very first ship and she had had 3 weeks of training before coming on board the Quest in Malaga and she was very nervous but did really well but we did have to ask her for some things which should have been automatic but we cut her some slack as she was still learning and it really wasn't a big deal as she addressed all of our requests and hopefully learn "on the job" from it) and it's totally unrealistic to expect everyone to be perfect 100% of the time - that is not real life. Guests are not perfect either and I have seen some be not very gracious and I find it quite embarrassing sometimes when some people forget to say please and thank you and of course like you said a friendly smile goes such a long way.

I guess I will find out fist hand what has changed the most next week, the staff or the passengers, but my guess is Seabourn's reputation as the best out there will continue, we all just have to learn how to get along a bit better and and remember we're ALL on vacation, just enjoy yourselves.

Westmount:)

You will, I have no doubt, have a wonderful time and as I sit writing this with the snow blizzarding down I wish I was looking forward to a Caribbean cruise next week:)! Agree with you totally some things are just not worth worrying about, but when people are paying a lot of money for their holiday and it is sold to them as a true luxury brand, then you leave yourself open for a fall if anything is just short of perfect.

What I have gleaned from these boards is that Seabourn while wishing to retain guest loyalty, are now also aiming their marketing at a different demographic (I do love that word!) and as such is attracting maybe younger (in years only as some of the fun people we met were certainly no spring chickens and they would not mind me saying so either!), non-retirees, etc., and as such must be making changes to how the ships operate (in all areas from dining to entertainment). In the midst of all of these changes are some of the long-time Seabourn guests who long for the old days when there was a "certain type" who sailed on the Yachts of Seabourn and they liked and were used to the way things were run and the familiarity - but there are many more who embrace the changes.

So on reflection - IMHO guests on Seabourn whether newbies or seasoned sailors are not so much of a problem, but an exciting new challenge:D!

Westmount - I have to echo fairbourne's comments - to me the only real problem confronting Seabourn is trying to recruit and train so many new staff who can occasionally not cope very well. Very few old or new Seabourn pasengers we have come across expect more than is reasonable, and in my experience the old hands in particular are more aware of who is new and will cut them some slack until they have had a chance to be trained up. I feel your post should be titled 'Head Office is the problem'. This also applies to the two day cruise which should never have happened.

I think we all agree that the two day cruise was a disaster waiting to happen. I also think that increasing its capacity and employee count 300% in three years needed planning beyond most companies ability to cope. Growing pains were inevitable, but by and large, a regular Seaboard passenger should not notice a difference in service levels, and least I didn't on the Odyssey the first time out, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

If my martini is served warm, or my fish served cold, I'll be back here to ask how could they let it happen, but who really believes that will happen.

Enjoy your winter holidays, I surely will be enjoying mine.

Westmount

Archived