What do you think of this kit for a beginner?

Prairie_Gal

As far as is it and the lenses a good beginner, yes! As to price, I'd think long and hard about what BH, Adorama and Amazon

I got a totally unexpected bonus from a client I do books for from home. I am thinking of using it to get a DSLR. I've only had P&S's before. Canon Start up kit

What do you think about this camera and these lenses and flash?

I think the Canon Rebel T3i is an excellent entry level dSLR camera. I think the three lenses are great first 3 lenses to start off with. The 18-55 mm lens is a standard kit lens that works great as your typical, daily, walkaround lens. The 50 mm lens is usually the very first "low light lens" that people typically recommend for beginning photographers. I think the 55-250 mm lens gets pretty good reviews for a telephoto zoom lens.

The other two items in your kit are pretty good, but you can probably do better. The Canon 320EX flash gets pretty good reviews, and has a swivel flash head, allowing you to "bounce your flash" for softer, more pleasing flash photography. However, I would probably recommend going with a better flash, such as the Canon 430EX II flash, since it is a more powerful flash and has additional functions. If you have even more money to spend for an even more powerful flash that has even more versatile functions, consider the 580EX II.

The Canon camera bag seems kind of cool, and for a while, I was considering getting one because I wanted to show my "Canon pride". However, when you carry around a bag that blatantly displays "CANON", you are just advertising to potential thieves that you're carrying expensive camera equipment. That camera bag just screams "Steal Me!"

You might want to consider getting a camera bag that is a little more inconspicuous. There are dozens and dozens of different camera bags out there. The ones I personally considered were camera bags from ThinkTank (link) or the Crumpler "Million Dollar Home" camera bags. (link)

Also, don't feel obligated to purchase your entire camera equipment in the form of a prepackaged kit. You can actually purchase each of these individual items separately. I would sit down and see how much money you actually save, if at all, by purchasing them all together as a prepackaged kit versus purchasing them individually.

Overall, the camera kit seems to include all the basics you'll need for a good camera kit. Probably the other thing to consider purchasing would be a good tripod. Choosing a tripod, however, is a huge separate discussion, in and of itself.

Oh, and the last thing to buy--and probably the most important thing to buy--is a good "intro to digital photography" book. Consider getting the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson (link to Amazon). There are dozens and dozens of other "intro to digital photography" books, so go to your local bookstore or library, and see which books match your learning style.

Hope that helps.

Congratulations on making the jump to a DSLR.

This kit at least this seems to be one of the better ones as it does not appear to be loaded with low-grade junk that some kits have.

The kits to avoid have everything but the kitchen sink in them and are usually offered by camera stores (not the manufacturer). They include out-right junk filters, tripod, off brand spare battery, etc.

At least the kit you are looking at does not appear to be this type. But, you may still want to do some comparison shopping to make sure you are getting the best deal.

I am not totally sure about Canon, but Nikon periodically offers deep discounts on 2nd and 3rd lenses when you buy them at the same time as a basic kit with body and lens. I suspect though that Canon may have similar offerings.

The one thing you would want to buy in addition to the above items is a second battery for your camera. And of course, several memory cards in the 4Gb to 8Gb range. I like multiple small cards rather than one large one.

And another thing to think of is backup. I mean backup of your photos on your computer, so you should think about a USB hard drive as well.

I would consider those things (spare battery, multiple memory cards, and USB drive backup) as essential minimum items to have with a digital camera.

While all of this tends to start adding up, you don't want to risk your loss of photos. If necessary, I'd leave off a lens rather than a USB backup drive as you can always buy a lens later. You cannot recover your photos if your computer or memory card fails.

I would second the Think Tank bag idea. They are very nice bags, and I think they are the best you can buy. Just my opinion though, as in addition to Think Tank, there are tons of good bags out there from manufacturers such as LowePro, Tamrac, Kata, and Tenba, to name a few.

With a bag though, the one piece of advice I have is to buy one just large enough to carry what you deem necessary for a day's outing. Call it a day bag. I know you are new at this and may have no idea what that will entail, but the mistake many people make is they buy a bag large enough to hold everything, then the bag is too heavy to carry.

So for example, you don't need to carry your cables and battery chargers with you for the day (although you should purchase and carry a spare battery), so leave those items at home, or what many people do (including me) a second - sometimes larger bag for those items.

We could have an entire topic just on bags, so I don't mean to go off on a tangent.

I helped a friend looking at entry level cameras recently, and came to the conclusion that there was not enough of a difference between the Canon T2i and the T3i to justify the difference in cost (about $100). You might want to consider the T2i. I also think that you can do better than the pricing shown in your link. Both Costco and Amazon have a package that includes the T2i, 18-55 lens, and the 55-250 or 75-300 lens for $750-800. Costco's package includes a gadget bag and a memory card--a small bonus. Amazon's price for a package that includes the T3i (rather than the T2i) is about $100 more. The additional things you get in the package you are looking at are the 50mm/1.8 lens (on amazon for about $100) and the flash (about $200 on Amazon). Personally, I'd delay buying the package flash, and go with Canon's 50mm/1.4 lens or the 85mm 1.8 (about $375). The 50mm/1.4 is twice as fast as the 50mm/1.8 in the package, and both lenses are very good prime lenses (much higher quality than the 50mm 1.4). I'd use the camera's pop up flash, until I was ready/felt the need to spring for the Canon 580 EX II(about $400 on Amazon).

Notice that the OP is in Alberta and the price for all three lenses with the other accessories in not too bad considering there would be import duty and VAT applied on anything ordered from the US. Amazon.ca pricing is near what Future Shops is charging.

Dave

Notice that the OP is in Alberta and the price for all three lenses with the other accessories in not too bad considering there would be import duty and VAT applied on anything ordered from the US. Amazon.ca pricing is near what Future Shops is charging.

Dave

I noticed that--but wasn't sure of what differences in pricing were. I'd still go with the T2i, skip the flash for now, and get a better prime lens.

If it were me, I'd honestly just get the camera and lens basic kit and stick with that to start (either the t2i or the t3i). I have had MANY students in the past buy the whole kit and then decide that they never really use the long lens and that their style is in need of a different lens. Also, when you go from a P&S to a dSLR, there is a LOT to learn. Having multiple lenses, in my opinion, can distract you from simply knowing how to operate the camera and get the exposure that you want (using ISO, f/stop, and shutter speed). You can add on ANY lens you want once you have mastered the basics. Until you know that you are going to use the camera to its fullest potential, spending the extra money of stuff/lenses that you may never use would be a waste.

I hope that makes sense! Congrats on your (impending) new camera!

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I may wait for the after Christmas sales and see if I can find a better price. Yes, we do pay more for everything here.

That is good advice to just get the camera and the basic lens for now, and see what I need later. I'll have to think about that.

I already have an external backup, so I'm set there, and what you said about not getting a Canon bag makes sense.

Thanks for the advice on the 50 mm lens. I am such a rookie, I didn't even know there was a difference in speed.

And thanks for the advice on the flash. I went to our local camera store yesteday, and I see the difference.

All in all I think the T3i would suit me. The controls look pretty similar to my SX 40. I tried the 60D, and it jsut seemed too big and bulky for me.

I can't wait to get my hands on a good camera, and I'll update you on what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to update you on my T3i purchase. I ended up ordering it off ebay for a good price just before Christmas (Merry Christmas to me!) I just got the kit lens that comes with it, and then yesterday I bought a 50 mm f1.8 lens from Best Buy on a Boxing Day Sale. I am excited to get going on it.

My question is this: if you were going to just take one lens on a cruise for taking pictures around the ship and on excursions, what would it be? I just can't see myself lugging around a bunch of gear, and changing lenses all the time.

I am mainly thinking about our Mediterranean Cruise next year. We are going to see some amazing sights, and I want good pictures.

I just wanted to update you on my T3i purchase. I ended up ordering it off ebay for a good price just before Christmas (Merry Christmas to me!) I just got the kit lens that comes with it, and then yesterday I bought a 50 mm f1.8 lens from Best Buy on a Boxing Day Sale. I am excited to get going on it.

My question is this: if you were going to just take one lens on a cruise for taking pictures around the ship and on excursions, what would it be? I just can't see myself lugging around a bunch of gear, and changing lenses all the time.

I am mainly thinking about our Mediterranean Cruise next year. We are going to see some amazing sights, and I want good pictures.

If I were limited to one lens,it would have to be an 18-200 or 18-250 superzoom. While not as absolutely sharp or fast as a bag of prime lenses, they are capable of capturing excellent images in a wide range of situations and completely eliminate lens changes.

A two-lens kit for non-Alaskan cruises would be a short to medium zoom like the kit 18-55 or a 24-70 and a wide zoom like a Sigma 10-20 for indoors and close street scenes. Alaska would have me dropping the wide zoom and adding a long zoom like a 70-300 or 70-400.

This is, of course, suited to my style of shooting and your style may require other choices.

My 2¢...

Dav

If I were limited to one lens,it would have to be an 18-200 or 18-250 superzoom. While not as absolutely sharp or fast as a bag of prime lenses, they are capable of capturing excellent images in a wide range of situations and completely eliminate lens changes.

A two-lens kit for non-Alaskan cruises would be a short to medium zoom like the kit 18-55 or a 24-70 and a wide zoom like a Sigma 10-20 for indoors and close street scenes. Alaska would have me dropping the wide zoom and adding a long zoom like a 70-300 or 70-400.

This is, of course, suited to my style of shooting and your style may require other choices.

My 2¢...

Dav

Thanks for your advice Dave. Another question, what do you think about Tamron and Sigma lenses? Or is it better to stick with Canon?

Thanks for your advice Dave. Another question, what do you think about Tamron and Sigma lenses? Or is it better to stick with Canon?

I compared the three offerings at SLRGear.com and between the Sigma 18-250 OS, the Tamron 18-250 and the Canon 18-200, the Sigma is the most consistently sharp wide open with a hiccup at around 120mm. All perform well at f/8. The Sigma looks to be the overall winner with the others remaining pretty close. The extra 50mm on the long end is a nice bonus.

Dave

Archived