Would you feel safe on Mariner tonight?

gcvt

I suppose my first concern would be the fact that they failed to properly disinfect the ship after the first outbreak, resulting in the infection of ~70 people the following week...assuming that is what actually happened.

The more likely cause of the virus living on from one cruise to the next is that there are hundreds of crew members plus any back to back passengers who remain onboard as carriers. Its impossible to disinfect them. We've been on several cruises with Noro outbreaks and it hasn't affected our enjoyment of the trips. We just make sure that we follow the same hygiene practices that many have mentioned here.

about that and other things people on here worry about, I would not travel anywhere.

Having said that, I do know, that elderly people and many with compromised immune systems must be concern, but, as others have said, you can get it at home, church, local restaurants, etc as well.

I suppose my first concern would be the fact that they failed to properly disinfect the ship after the first outbreak, resulting in the infection of ~70 people the following week...assuming that is what actually happened.
Why would you say "they failed to disinfect the ship after the first outbreak"????:confused::rolleyes:

I'd go, no problem.

In 2010 we boarded the Celebrity Mercury in Charleston after six back-to-back cruises with large Noro outbreaks. We live in the Charleston area and every night the news reported on the ongoing issues on the Mercury, Hundreds had come back sick for over two straight months. We boarded and had a wonderful trip and there were almost no reports of illness. The issue was not due to improper cleaning on the part of Celebrity, but rather that more and more locals were boarding who were experiencing a nasty strain of Noro.

Five of us, ages 54-88, just got off the Mariner and not one of us sick. We were a few hours late boarding while they cleaned, and they never stopped cleaning all the time we were on board. We even saw them changing out drapes in a cabin on our floor.

They could not stress enough, wash, wash, wash, but still people were talking about fools leaving the bathroom without washing their hands.

This is the time of year for sickness, and that many people in one place certainly make the likelihood of infection greater. Use common sense, follow precautions, and I think your odds are outstanding of getting off the ship happy and healthy.

The captain did say the number of passengers reporting to medical was slowing down as the week progressed. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but they were offering free medical care for ill passengers. I'm sure that incentive was necessary to get the sick passengers to report in, rather than continue to spread the virus.

Why is NOROVIRUS categorized like it occurs only on cruse ships,

and if you get a stomach virus in your hometown it is food poisoning.

The virus is everywhere and anywhere!

We have cruised

after being advised the ship was being delayed

and sanitized before departure because of a virus.

The more likely cause of the virus living on from one cruise to the next is that there are hundreds of crew members plus any back to back passengers who remain onboard as carriers. Its impossible to disinfect them. We've been on several cruises with Noro outbreaks and it hasn't affected our enjoyment of the trips. We just make sure that we follow the same hygiene practices that many have mentioned here.

I have to disagree I think that is not the most likely cause but a cocontributor to the problem. I also think that many people may have been exposed to the virus prior to arriving and do not show symptoms until after being on board. You could have touched mail that was contaminated, you could have touched the back of a chair that was contaminated, you could have touched the tray at the airport to hold your shoes, belt, etc that was contaminated.

Like you stated good hygiene is the best practice

My wife and I were on the December 4 sailing. The captain and CD kept reminding us to wash our hands, and that the crew was not allowed to shake hands. They also announced that anyone feeling like they had the virus could go to the ship's doctor with no charge. I feel the crew did all they could do. I'm going again March 25. I'm sure the virus will be gone by then.

We were on the mercury in 2010 too . The Noro had been really bad for several sailing . We sailed a day later so they could throughly clean the ship They were even spraying the halls every night wearing white protective suits. Believe me they did everything they could.We still had a lot of people sick on our cruise .We were lucky enough to get it as we were leaving the ship not sooner. It was a real adventure driving home . Have fun and maybe you will be lucky too.

Diane cruiseclues

Why is NOROVIRUS categorized like it occurs only on cruse ships,

and if you get a stomach virus in your hometown it is food poisoning.

The virus is everywhere and anywhere!

We have cruised

after being advised the ship was being delayed

and sanitized before departure because of a virus.

Norovirus and food poisoning are two different things, and, you can get either on a ship or off a ship.

Food poisoning versus Noro -- yes they are different, but think you're both agreeing ---- why is Noro classified as a cruise ship problem when it can ben and is contacted elsewhere?

My understanding, and I'm sure we'll get further comment :), is that the cruise absolutely have to report any "stomach / noro symptoms" to the CDC or whatever the authority is. No other vessel, car; train; plane; tour boats; etc., has to. That means that anyone who boards can be carrier and brought it with them and no other modes of transportation needs to report it. Again, it's just my understanding of what rules a cruise line has to adhere to versus others.

Well, we did not get ill and it's a minor miracle combined with major hand-washing and my herbal and probiotic arsenal. I'll explain below. At the same time, I recognize that the number of ill people may not be significantly higher on a cruise ship than at, say, any elementary school. I have more control over my environment at home than I do on a ship, so I want to know the cruise staff are doing everything reasonable to diminish the spread of illness.

The crew did much cleaning and squirting such volumes of blue hand sanitizer that the towels in our stateroom turned blue after we washed the sanitizer etc. off of our hands. The fault lies mostly with fellow passengers but the cruise line could do more. I think the crew should have more authority to confine passengers in certain situations. I think the cruise line needs stricter standards in certain situations.

Concern 1 - the child in DD's club (9-11 group) that picked his nose consistently throughout the cruise was permitted to attend a movie in the tiny screening room while coughing persistently then he threw up a few hours later in the club. If there is an illness outbreak, then there should be stricter hygiene expectations. I would remove a child from the kid's club who can't stop coughing or picking his/her nose. It is not surprising that this child picked up the bug. It is appalling that he was allowed to spread it. Some improvement is needed in the kids club; I don't have the vocabulary to describe our opinion about his parents. (there is more to the story - believe me that these were not conscientious parents)

Concern 2 - while looking for DD's missing sea-pass card on Saturday morning, DH looked under the couch in our stateroom. DH found a pair of men's underwear covered in dried excrement of the has-obviously-been-very-ill variety. We don't know how long they were there, but EEEEEWWW doesn't begin to cover our feelings! We're disappointed in the cleaning glitch, but what kind of passenger hides soiled undergarments rather than disposing of them?

I want to feel that any cruise line with which I sail is doing everything reasonable to keep illness minimized. My experience last week doesn't allow me to feel that RCI is doing all they can to minimize illness.

Well, we did not get ill and it's a minor miracle combined with major hand-washing and my herbal and probiotic arsenal. I'll explain below. At the same time, I recognize that the number of ill people may not be significantly higher on a cruise ship than at, say, any elementary school. I have more control over my environment at home than I do on a ship, so I want to know the cruise staff are doing everything reasonable to diminish the spread of illness.

The crew did much cleaning and squirting such volumes of blue hand sanitizer that the towels in our stateroom turned blue after we washed the sanitizer etc. off of our hands. The fault lies mostly with fellow passengers but the cruise line could do more. I think the crew should have more authority to confine passengers in certain situations. I think the cruise line needs stricter standards in certain situations.

Concern 1 - the child in DD's club (9-11 group) that picked his nose consistently throughout the cruise was permitted to attend a movie in the tiny screening room while coughing persistently then he threw up a few hours later in the club. If there is an illness outbreak, then there should be stricter hygiene expectations. I would remove a child from the kid's club who can't stop coughing or picking his/her nose. It is not surprising that this child picked up the bug. It is appalling that he was allowed to spread it. Some improvement is needed in the kids club; I don't have the vocabulary to describe our opinion about his parents. (there is more to the story - believe me that these were not conscientious parents)

Concern 2 - while looking for DD's missing sea-pass card on Saturday morning, DH looked under the couch in our stateroom. DH found a pair of men's underwear covered in dried excrement of the has-obviously-been-very-ill variety. We don't know how long they were there, but EEEEEWWW doesn't begin to cover our feelings! We're disappointed in the cleaning glitch, but what kind of passenger hides soiled undergarments rather than disposing of them?

I want to feel that any cruise line with which I sail is doing everything reasonable to keep illness minimized. My experience last week doesn't allow me to feel that RCI is doing all they can to minimize illness.

Wow. That is disturbing and disgusting to say the least.

The only way we did not get the virus was to pretty much stay in our disenfected cabin with a product I always bring aboard. No hot tubs or pools or buffets. Room service and try to stay away from crowds Not a very good cruise experience, but no sickness. Hated the daily announcements and updates that always mentioned vomiting and the squirts. We, too were optimistic that the ship would be all cleaned up after the cruise before us and were happy to wait to board, but the first sea day, they already had cases. Given the chance to cancel the cruise for full refund or cruise credit. I would do it after this experience. Otherwise, I chalk it up to the curse of our 13th cruise!

We were on the 12/11 sailing. I would do it again. Crap happens - at least we expect some type of glitch each sailing - and we always have a story to tell ;)

The only thing we did differently was go to the dining room more for breakfast and lunch (where previously we had gone to Windjammer). I would say we used hand sanitizers a little more - previously I did not sanitize on the way out, or between buffet runs (when we did go)...but I did it "just in case" it helped. Otherwise, we pushed elevator buttons, used handrails, used tongs....we did everything normal, and our party of 7 (with toddlers and elders) did not get sick. Get on the ship and have fun!

The only way we did not get the virus was to pretty much stay in our disenfected cabin with a product I always bring aboard. No hot tubs or pools or buffets. Room service and try to stay away from crowds Not a very good cruise experience, but no sickness. Hated the daily announcements and updates that always mentioned vomiting and the squirts. We, too were optimistic that the ship would be all cleaned up after the cruise before us and were happy to wait to board, but the first sea day, they already had cases. Given the chance to cancel the cruise for full refund or cruise credit. I would do it after this experience. Otherwise, I chalk it up to the curse of our 13th cruise!

I´m glad for you being able to avoid getting sick, but it puzzles me how the only way to not get the virus was to stay in your room.:confused::rolleyes:

The crew did much cleaning and squirting such volumes of blue hand sanitizer that the towels in our stateroom turned blue after we washed the sanitizer etc. off of our hands.

Your hand washing must not have been very effective, when the towel turned blue after you washed off the blue stuff:rolleyes:

Your hand washing must not have been very effective, when the towel turned blue after you washed off the blue stuff:rolleyes:

We had at least two washrags that were blue - and it was not sanitizers. The first one, I wondered what my daughter did to turn it blue (as in cleaning the shower instead of herself??) But, in our other room, I noticed a new/clean rag had a blue tint and it hadn't been used yet. I don't know what that was.

We were on the 12/11 sailing. I would do it again. Crap happens - at least we expect some type of glitch each sailing - and we always have a story to tell ;)

I just looked at your signature...you do have some stories to tell, don't you?:D

Hardly surprising when so many people don't use the hand gel, don't wash when they they leave the toilets and dirty pigs, who pick food up in the buffet with their hands!
As long as they don't put it back down, you might be safer that way. At least they haven't just smashed whatever germs are on their hands all over the handle of the tongs/spoon you're about to pick up.

We had at least two washrags that were blue - and it was not sanitizers. The first one, I wondered what my daughter did to turn it blue (as in cleaning the shower instead of herself??) But, in our other room, I noticed a new/clean rag had a blue tint and it hadn't been used yet. I don't know what that was.

Good to know. I thought we'd rubbed the sanitizer in so well that our skin had absorbed the blue dye and it would only come off after washing hands or that we were getting towels mixed up. (We sometimes used a prewash towel to diminish the layer of sanitizer. It would defeat the purpose to get the before and after towels mixed up :rolleyes: ) I like the idea that the towels were already blue and we didn't notice it until they were wet. I'm still not a fan of hand sanitizer over hand washing but at least I can hope my skin wasn't absorbing blue dye.

We, too were optimistic that the ship would be all cleaned up after the cruise before us and were happy to wait to board, but the first sea day, they already had cases.

If we had cases the first day, they were likely brought on board rather than contracted on the ship since it takes a couple days incubation of the virus to get ill.

If we had cases the first day, they were likely brought on board rather than contracted on the ship since it takes a couple days incubation of the virus to get ill.

I visited the doctor today (thought I had a sinus infection). We were generally talking about the cruise - my doctor is not a cruiser so she was interested in hearing about it. I mentioned it was a sick ship for 2 weeks in a row...she immediately said that it must be a crew member. Granted, that's just one doctor's opinion, but I thought I would just throw that out there.

I've been sifting through my pictures....oh how I need to get back on a cruise ;)

Archived