Looking for recent info on wine packages

capriciousc

I did a search for threads discussing wine packages, but it seems like they have come and go over the years. Does anyone have recent information about wine package offerings on NCL? We're cruising on the Star in March of next year and I'd like to do a little bit of research so we can decide if it's better to buy a package or bring our own wine aboard. What I'm wondering is:

* Do they still offer wine packages on the Star? If so, are you still able to access the bottles at various points on the ship? (Previous threads said you got a ticket that you could give to a waiter or bartender and they could get your bottle(s) for you).

* How is the quality of wine? (I'd love it if anyone has a list of what's available - the list of wines in the Bon Voyage packages is very limited).

* If we don't drink it all (unlikely, but a possibility), can we take it home with us?

* The NCL site says we can bring wine aboard, but they'll charge us a corkage fee. Is there a limit to the number of bottles we can bring aboard?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

There is no NCL limit on the amount of wine you can bring aboard. However, most people bring their wine as carry on to avoid the "naught room" hassle, so you are limited by what you can carry / lug around on boarding.

here is the NCL FAQ on this:

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

I don't know if it is fleet-wide, but I can tell you about the package on the Spirit last week. The deal was 20% off when purchasing 6 - 8 bottles. However, the wines to choose from were very limited, and were among the most expensive. I think the least expensive of the offerings was around $80 per bottle. I don't spend that much on a bottle of wine, so I opted not to take advantage of the package.

When I sailed on the Pride of America in February, you could get the same deal with any wine on the ship. Thus, I was able to buy 6 bottles averaging $30 each, and get the discount.

I don't know about what happens if you don't drink it all. I try not to let that happen.

had not seen this asked before, but I doubt highly you could take an opened bottle off the ship, at least officially.

You can take it to your room. You could easily put it in an empty water bottle. You should declare it, but not sure there would be any big issue if found - which is highly unlikely.

Best answer - drink it all.

We just got off the Dawn and purchased the wine package. We were on a 10 day cruise so we chose 8 bottles of wine at 20% off the total price. Prices varied, but many bottles in high $20 and low $30 range all the way up/over $100, good variety and price IMO.

Thanks for all of the responses! It's weird (to me) that the packages seem to vary ship to ship.

Travelicious - I'm with you, I wouldn't purchase $80 bottles, even with a discount. $20 to $30 bottles are an entirely different story, however. We have some nice bottles that we got at a great price from a friend who's a wine distributor, so perhaps we'll bring a couple of those and then just see what the packages are like when we get there.

If anyone out there has sailed on the Star recently and has information about their packages, I'd love to hear it! :)

Do they still offer wine packages on the Star? If so, are you still able to access the bottles at various points on the ship?

Yes.

How is the quality of wine?

Varies.

If we don't drink it all (unlikely, but a possibility), can we take it home with us?

Yes.

The NCL site says we can bring wine aboard, but they'll charge us a corkage fee. Is there a limit to the number of bottles we can bring aboard?

None.

Also, just as an observation - NCL's wine prices are actually quite reasonable compared to even local restauarants. Markups are quite reasonable all in all (surprisingly so). Thats not to say that you can't get it cheaper with corkage, but its not absurdly priced.

We just got off the Dawn and purchased the wine package. We were on a 10 day cruise so we chose 8 bottles of wine at 20% off the total price. Prices varied, but many bottles in high $20 and low $30 range all the way up/over $100, good variety and price IMO.

Heading out on the Norwegian Dawn in 12 days and find this information quite helpful! You can mix and match the type of wines as well? I like Chardonnay but 8 bottles of it would be a bit much! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking our first NCL cruise in February (the star out of Tampa). We have done several Carnical and RCL cruises previously. All of the cruise lines state that they will charge a corkage fee for wine that you bring onboard. However, we have never actually had this happen on any previous cruise, and we bring 2-4 bottles each time. Does NCL actually follow through with this fee? How would they know, if you open the bottle in your stateroom?

Also, does anyone have prices for the wine packages?

Corkage fees only apply if the wine is consumed in a public place onboard the vessel. If the wine you bring onboard is consumed in your stateroom no corkage fee applies. Some cruisers have been charged when they bring the bottle to the dining room and some have not. On last years fourteen day Holland America's Amsterdam sailing to Alaska my wife and I purchased six bottles of Chateau St Michele from their winery in Washington State. That wine was mostly consumed in our oceanview stateroom and a few glasses were consumed at the pool. We also purchased a nine bottle wine package that was consumed between my wife, myself and another couple from Ohio. The other couple also shared their wine with us and we had a wonderful time.

On the Jewel last month I was going to purchase the wine package and get the 20% discount. They would have added the 15% tip and charges for being in NYC and it ended up not being that big a deal. I purchased 3 bottles in Port Canaveral and even with $15 cork fee it wasn't as much as the ship wine.

Lynda

Corkage fees only apply if the wine is consumed in a public place onboard the vessel. If the wine you bring onboard is consumed in your stateroom no corkage fee applies. Some cruisers have been charged when they bring the bottle to the dining room and some have not. On last years fourteen day Holland America's Amsterdam sailing to Alaska my wife and I purchased six bottles of Chateau St Michele from their winery in Washington State. That wine was mostly consumed in our oceanview stateroom and a few glasses were consumed at the pool. We also purchased a nine bottle wine package that was consumed between my wife, myself and another couple from Ohio. The other couple also shared their wine with us and we had a wonderful time.

On some lines that is true, but on NCL you pay corkage just for bringing it on board.

Holland America has a different policy, they do allow you to not pay corkage if you consume it in your stateroom. Last Christmas after sailing four HAL cruises we brought a bottle of champagne with us on the Epic and were shocked that we had to pay the corkage of $15 even if we wanted to drink it in our suite. I let them lable it and store it and then later in the week decided after looking at prices for similar champagnes decided to retrieve it and pay the corkage- my bottle was much better and there was nothing under $30 for even cheap bubbly.

I purchased the wine package. 7 day cruise on the jewel Dec 24 2011 we chose 7 bottles of wine at 20% off the total price. (just under $200 total tip included) You had to buy a min of 7 to get the deal.The Prices varied, but they had many bottles in high $20 and low $30 range all the way up/over $100, decent variety and price was less than my local restaurant would have charged for many. They do add an auto 15% tip.

We also got to meet Gianina Butiseaca the director (officer level) of the all the bars and beverages on the jewel. She is a real sweetheart (and single, we tried to marry her off to our son but as he was 16 she was not going there)<G>. She comes from a wine making family with it's own vineyard and knows her wines.

When boarding go to the right when you get on (deck 7) past the elevators and you will find a bar and a table set up with the wines to chose from. You can also get your soda sticker there like we did for our 16 year old.

We did both the first 10 min on board and then went to the main dinning room (tsars) for a sit down lunch while our rooms were be finished. By all means avoid the pandemonium at the garden cafe and go to the back of the ship- deck 6 and relax for lunch or go to bar city and have a drink. The best way to start your trip is not fighting lines and the noise. I cannot stress how big this when you see 2000+ people all confused trying to find there way around.

We did the wine tasting with some foods for $20 a person and learned a lot. 5 wines and a plenty to try and taste. Latter you can help finish the wines and have a few more tastings.

Most basic wines in the bars were about $5-6 a glass and that includes the tip they put on all drinks.

This is not true for NCL. You pay corkage regardless of where you consume the alcohol. The only exception is if you somehow got it onboard without them knowing and you consume it in your room. They scan and check all luggage and bags when you board. IF they spot alcohol, they charge the corkage fee. Once you've paid the corkage fee, you're welcome to consume the alcohol onboard anywhere you want - from your bedroom to any bar or dining venue.

We just got off the Spirit a couple of weeks ago and the wine package had changed substantially since last year. You still must purchase 6-8 bottles for 20% off. However, up until this cruise, the choices included something from $25 on up. Now the wine available for the package starts at about $60 and goes up to about $200. No more "cheap" wine in the package and it was non negotiable. Pretty "spendy" now. Might be better to bring your own and pay corkage.;)

Okay, more questions. It appears that the rules are a little different on NCL than on Carnival or RCCL. Can some of you NCL experts confirm the following statements or answer the questions:

• On NCL, you are allowed to bring an unlimited amount of wine onboard with you. However, you will pay the $15/bottle corkage fee.
  • On NCL, you can bring an unlimited amount of soft drinks onboard with you (I read this in someone's post).
  • Assuming these statements are true, is there any specific way these need to be brought onboard (i.e. in carry-ons or in checked bags)? If they are in my checked baggage, will I be summoned to pick my bags up rather than having them delivered to my room?
  • Can you bring anything else onboard? Specifically, are you allowed to bring any beer or other types of alchohol?

Thanks again for the help :)

Okay, more questions. It appears that the rules are a little different on NCL than on Carnival or RCCL. Can some of you NCL experts confirm the following statements or answer the questions:

• On NCL, you are allowed to bring an unlimited amount of wine onboard with you. However, you will pay the $15/bottle corkage fee.$15 and up depending on bottle size.
  • On NCL, you can bring an unlimited amount of soft drinks onboard with you (I read this in someone's post).Yes.
  • Assuming these statements are true, is there any specific way these need to be brought onboard (i.e. in carry-ons or in checked bags)? If they are in my checked baggage, will I be summoned to pick my bags up rather than having them delivered to my room?Most NCL ships let you put a baggage tag on the case and check it. NCL Spirit does not, you must carry it.
  • Can you bring anything else onboard? Specifically, are you allowed to bring any beer or other types of alchohol?No other alcohol is allowed.

Thanks again for the help :)

Good luck on your cruise.

Dec 24th on Jewel

We brought 2 cases of water and just put a luggage tag on them and they went right to room. Used a small cooler with liter bottles of soda walked right on, they just ran the cooler thru xray.

Wine you can bring as many as want you $15 a reg bottle $30 a larger one.

From the NCL site clip;

What about alcohol consumption and wine corkage?

ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION POLICY

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol.

With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, NCL permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and on the final night of the cruise it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

* NCL encourages the responsible use of alcohol and accordingly reserves the right to permanently or temporarily revoke the drinking privileges of any guest who violates NCL's Guest Code of Conduct or who is deemed a danger to himself, herself or others by vessel management. Continued abuse of alcohol while sailing and/or violation of NCL's alcohol policy may result in immediate disembarkation.

Thanks so much for your feedback and help. We really appreciate it!

We are having a little "planning session" tonight, and we still have more questions on the wine package. Is it true that the inexpensive wines are no longer available as part of the wine package?

Also, my wife really wants to bring her box wine onboard (long story but its not as strong so she can drink it through the day). If she puts this in her checked baggage, how would they know its there?

Thanks again!

Archived