Did Monarch Fail Recent CDC Inspection?

EVALUATOR

That some heads will roll or demotions will occur over the bad PR over the CDC review. I just booked her for 1/20/12, and i bet she will be the cleanest ship in the fleet. LOL.

Having said that,

A 20 year old ship, used as hard as a cruise ship is used, with a short lease for continued service, may not get the same respect for repairs or upgrades that a newer ship might receive. But unclean dishes are not acceptable,

However the Monarchs problems are no worse than the unsanitary things many people do on board.

Oh, please ... "unsettling" .. have you ever had a bowl of very ripe fruit on your counter at home? Then you have had lil fruitflies yourself. That is NOT a horrifying health risk to the 3000+ people onboard the ship.

Did you read the report? It's not just fruit flies.

Having reviewed the report, there was only one set of really serious infractions and that was failure to monitor/high holding temperature of perishables, most notably raw eggs. Temperature checks were not logged and the temp of items was over 41 degrees (which is on the high end to start with). This needs to be corrected immediately by making sure their HAACP or equivalent program is thorough and being used.

Those are serious violations that have potential health implications. Other items such as fruit flies are less significant in terms of actual health concerns. Fruit flies can transmit bacteria but in those numbers are not problematic. Same with the signage issues and dirty plates (gross, but risk of mass contamination very small)

Biggest issues for me were lack of proper holding temps; walk-in coolers that couldn't get down to required temps even after being left undisturbed overnight; caked on dust in air handlers above raw food prep areas; sous chefs who had no idea what the proper temp was to cook food; poor galley skills (re-using prep tools, splitting, re-heating, and then re-combining hot items after they had cooled; improper temp probes, pax self-serve areas in WJ that didn't hold proper serving temp., etc).

Fruit flies are sentinels - when present, they signal something out of whack in the produce areas. It's not quantity, per se, but presence that causes an inspector to dig further to find the cause.

85 / 100 vs. 86 / 100 ???? One more point and we would have heard NOTHING about this.

Dirty dishes ...... NO Excuse. As for the fruit flies .... it's basically an open air establishment. I'm not sure how you avoid fruit flies. As for food temps, this is totally up to the inspector on how serious these infractions are. I grew up working in a pizza restaurant. During one surprise inspection, we got dinged because the temp of a container of soup on a warming table was not high enough. It was a soup that came frozen and had been placed in the bin only a half hour before the inspection. So ..... unless you could waive your magic wand and take this frozen substance to 130+ degrees instantly then you were in violation.

Not trying to defend them ....... just saying. :) :)

85 / 100 vs. 86 / 100 ???? One more point and we would have heard NOTHING about this.

Dirty dishes ...... NO Excuse. As for the fruit flies .... it's basically an open air establishment. I'm not sure how you avoid fruit flies. As for food temps, this is totally up to the inspector on how serious these infractions are. I grew up working in a pizza restaurant. During one surprise inspection, we got dinged because the temp of a container of soup on a warming table was not high enough. It was a soup that came frozen and had been placed in the bin only a half hour before the inspection. So ..... unless you could waive your magic wand and take this frozen substance to 130+ degrees instantly then you were in violation.

No way any qualified cook would take a frozen product and just put it in a steam tray to get it up to serving temperature. Your pizza joint deserved to be dinged on that one.

Mental note: never eat at a pizza joint in Missouri.

Compliance with basic safety procedures is not really that hard. Shame on RCL for allowing their staff to be so sloppy.

They should do their own inspections every day. Anyone not in compliance should be trained again. If they still don't get it, they need to be allowed to pursue other employment options.

No surprise here. Of all of the ships we have been on we found this one to be the worst when it comes to cleanliness. It even beat Carnival Sensation. In fact it wasn't even close. RCCL needs to put this ship back into dry dock, completely gut and redo the interior, re-train the crew. Then put this ship some place else and bring Central Florida a ship that reflects the quality of RCCL.

Also this ship has been sold and will leave RCCL.

Source? Because I believe that (1) this has been flatly denied by RCCL and (2) while likely in the near future... won't happen for 2-4 years.

I keep hearing "sold to Pullmantur" but I don't see any links supporting that. I see people mentally seeing they got Sovereign and might need a new ship or two in the near future... then making the connection that Monarch & Majesty are sold (or transferred is a better word, I guess).

Oh, please ... "unsettling" .. have you ever had a bowl of very ripe fruit on your counter at home? Then you have had lil fruitflies yourself. That is NOT a horrifying health risk to the 3000+ people onboard the ship.

The things the CDC go looking for are a little ridiculous. On the Queen Mary 2, they also failed ... for something like 1 single human hair in an ice machine. Come ON, now.

I work in a hospital - in an O.R. And inspections like this depend so much on the inspectors ... if they have a quota .. or are trying to impress someone "above", they -will- find ridiculous things that qualify as a "ding", but do not really create any real hazard at all.

OK ... rant over (and yes ... I love our Monarch!)!

I know exactly what you mean about different inspectors and the scores. Back in the day when I worked at a small mom and pop place in the boonies we always got the trainee inspectors. They went over everything with a fine tooth comb.

A few years later working in the city at a large restaurant - I went crazy helping the new manager prepare for a return inspection. I showed her all the places the inspector would check and where to put what - the inspector came through and barely checked anything. :rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean about different inspectors and the scores. Back in the day when I worked at a small mom and pop place in the boonies we always got the trainee inspectors. They went over everything with a fine tooth comb.

A few years later working in the city at a large restaurant - I went crazy helping the new manager prepare for a return inspection. I showed her all the places the inspector would check and where to put what - the inspector came through and barely checked anything. :rolleyes:

But sometimes, when violations are so obvious, the inspectors have little choice.

"The ambient air temperature inside walk-in refrigerator #3147 was 44 °F as displayed on the external thermometer and verified by the inspectors thermometer. The alarm light was on just outside the refrigerator door with a sign stating that when the light is on to call a specified number for repair. The refrigerator was locked for two periods of 15 and over 30 minutes to allow the temperature to stabilize, but it never achieved a value below 44 °F. Staff removed all the potentially hazardous foods inside. The am temperature check of the thermometer was 40 °F and was taken at 5:45 am according to staff."

When you see migrating flocks of fruit flies, they tend to attract attention.

When the chefs don't know what temperature to even cook the foods to, was it a surprise they didn't know the temperature to store them at.

The wrong lighting seems light small potatoes, but maybe the proper lighting would have allowed the workers to see the dirt, filth, bugs, and uncleaned dishes.

When the handwash sink temperature is 136, then it is obvious they aren't even washing their hands properly. 136 causes third degree burns in around ten seconds.

And when asked about some of the problems, the staff seemed to lie about it.

Violation: In nearly every galley, pantry, or preparation area there were pieces of equipment posted out of order. These included cooking equipment such as tilt braising pans and hot Alto-Shaam cabinets to undercounter refrigerators, warewash machines, counter model food choppers, floor model mixers, and others. In nearly every case staff stated these pieces had failed just one day prior to the inspection.

"The ambient air temperature inside walk-in refrigerator #3147 was 44 °F as displayed on the external thermometer and verified by the inspectors thermometer. The alarm light was on just outside the refrigerator door with a sign stating that when the light is on to call a specified number for repair. The refrigerator was locked for two periods of 15 and over 30 minutes to allow the temperature to stabilize, but it never achieved a value below 44 °F. Staff removed all the potentially hazardous foods inside. The am temperature check of the thermometer was 40 °F and was taken at 5:45 am according to staff."

And they didn't know what temperature to re-cook the curry to, but managed to log the cooking temp at 168 (required > 165) at 8:10 a.m. and a cooling temp of 64 (required <70) at 10:10 a.m. even though the inspector measured some of it at 84 at 10:50 a.m.

Sounds like pen-whipping the documents.

Once the can of worms gets opened...:mad:

We were on there for the 20th birthday of the ship in mid Nov and during the question and answer session with the Captain he did confirm the ship had already been sold.

Source? Because I believe that (1) this has been flatly denied by RCCL and (2) while likely in the near future... won't happen for 2-4 years.

I keep hearing "sold to Pullmantur" but I don't see any links supporting that. I see people mentally seeing they got Sovereign and might need a new ship or two in the near future... then making the connection that Monarch & Majesty are sold (or transferred is a better word, I guess).

We know the Chef "Nestor" and did a back galley tour with him. Seems hard to believe after all the great reports that they had before. I'm sure it will be back to normal with the next sailing.

No word on the selling of Monarch either. will be going on her in

feb.

equipment such as tilt braising pans and hot Alto-Shaam cabinets to undercounter refrigerators, warewash machines, counter model food choppers, floor model mixers, and others. In nearly every case staff stated these pieces had failed just one day prior to the inspection.

If you have ever read Cruise Confidential you will find this familiar.

It is a ploy by a lot cruise lines so that major pieces of equipment do not get inspected because they are " broken". Of course, there is really nothing wrong with the equipment other than lack of cleaning and poor states of repair. When I read this in the report I was cracking up. :D

I would think by now the inspecters are on to this. At least, I would hope so. :rolleyes:

We were on there for the 20th birthday of the ship in mid Nov and during the question and answer session with the Captain he did confirm the ship had already been sold.

We were on the Monarch 12/5/11 and the Captain said it was NOT sold!

Not to doubt you,but no official word has been made yet......at least not to any of us.......if it has been sold(and there probably is a good chance,she wont be around for another couple of years),the captain would not say it was(until official word comes from corporate)..........they denied it emphatically Nov 28th-Dec 5th.

But sometimes, when violations are so obvious, the inspectors have little choice.

When you see migrating flocks of fruit flies, they tend to attract attention.

When the chefs don't know what temperature to even cook the foods to, was it a surprise they didn't know the temperature to store them at.

The wrong lighting seems light small potatoes, but maybe the proper lighting would have allowed the workers to see the dirt, filth, bugs, and uncleaned dishes.

When the handwash sink temperature is 136, then it is obvious they aren't even washing their hands properly. 136 causes third degree burns in around ten seconds.

And when asked about some of the problems, the staff seemed to lie about it.

Violation: In nearly every galley, pantry, or preparation area there were pieces of equipment posted out of order. These included cooking equipment such as tilt braising pans and hot Alto-Shaam cabinets to undercounter refrigerators, warewash machines, counter model food choppers, floor model mixers, and others. In nearly every case staff stated these pieces had failed just one day prior to the inspection.

And they didn't know what temperature to re-cook the curry to, but managed to log the cooking temp at 168 (required > 165) at 8:10 a.m. and a cooling temp of 64 (required <70) at 10:10 a.m. even though the inspector measured some of it at 84 at 10:50 a.m.

Sounds like pen-whipping the documents.

Once the can of worms gets opened...:mad:

I don't disagree about the Monarch having a really bad inspection. I'm happy to read that the manager in charge is no longer there.

The only point I was trying to make is that 2 different inspectors will come up with 2 different scores. Kind of like appraisals. From some of the problems reported - Monarch would hopefully have been failed by any inspector.

Archived