Environmental Group Opposes Widening Shipping Channels to Accommodate Larger Ships

njhorseman

Just more of the same and nothing gets done!

What is humorous in the article is the idea that Bermuda can become a bespoke destination. Not going to happen. They have no idea of what is happening in the world. Cruise ship passengers are actually at the top of the tourist food chain. The tourist elite they want to draw are taking cruises. Tourists will only come to Bermuda by air if the costs of food and lodging are reasonable. Now a days you can go to luxury all inclusive resorts at reasonable prices that put anything Bermuda has to offer by facilities or price to shame.

I do think that the environmental concerns are very important. It sounds like though that this group is just using environmental concerns as an excuse to do nothing.

I am sorry, but I have travelled many times to Bermuda and taken numerous cruises, and I can tell you that the typical cruise passenger that is going to Bermuda is not at the top of the tourist food chain. The guests that stay at the hotels currently are much wealthier and are much more likely to spend money in Bermuda. I do not think the costs in Bermuda are at all out of line for the quality of the island and the restaurants. I spend no more in general on meals than I do in Boston, nor are the hotels that much pricier than any upscale destination. Bermuda is definitley hurting more from the down economy as it is a premium destination.

2010 visitor numbers

Cruise Arrivals 347,900

Air Arrivals 232,300

2010 visitor expenditure

Cruise = $61.00 million

Air = $322.9 million

You can see why they want more air passengers than cruise passengers..

Yes, there's no doubt the air travelers spend more but they don't seem to be spending it in the stores. The Hamilton merchants are feeling the lack of cruise ships regularly docking there and just look at poor St. George with more and more stores closing.:(

Guest LoveMyBoxer

They just keep making up these "committees" to study and research and they can't get anything accomplished. It's not just the cruise ships, the hotel industry is not advancing either. The old Sonesta is still without any hotel being built, not going on at least 4 years. They can't decide what to "let" be built in St. George's, and the list goes on an on. Someone needs to take control and start making decisions.

Archived