Cell Phone Usage on Grand Cayman

ILoveScotland

Grand Cayman has both 3G and the HSPA+ and WiMax 4G wireless services provided by LIME and DigiCel. Price depends on your carrier's international roaming rates. I know that with Verizon it is $1.99 per minute and you must call them to activate international roaming BEFORE you travel. AT&T is around the same price.

If staying on island you can purchase a prepaid SIM card (if you have AT&T or T-Mobile phones SIM chip equipped phones) from either of the local carriers and call back to the mainland at cheaper rates.

Grand Cayman has both 3G and the HSPA+ and WiMax 4G wireless services provided by LIME and DigiCel. Price depends on your carrier's international roaming rates. I know that with Verizon it is $1.99 per minute and you must call them to activate international roaming BEFORE you travel. AT&T is around the same price.

If staying on island you can purchase a prepaid SIM card (if you have AT&T or T-Mobile phones SIM chip equipped phones) from either of the local carriers and call back to the mainland at cheaper rates.

Thanks. I knew someone would have the answer for me. I have Verizon as does my friend who will be with me for a week on Grand Cayman.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Verizon today and found out that if they turn it on it is $3.95 a month for 6 months. You must keep it for 6 months. That is in addition to your minute rate. They also told me that when you turn your phone on if you have voice mail messages you will be charged for them. Seemed complicated to try to figure all this out. They said there was no way to stop email and voice mail from coming thru so I oped not to do this.

Went to Verizon today and found out that if they turn it on it is $3.95 a month for 6 months. You must keep it for 6 months. That is in addition to your minute rate. They also told me that when you turn your phone on if you have voice mail messages you will be charged for them. Seemed complicated to try to figure all this out. They said there was no way to stop email and voice mail from coming thru so I oped not to do this.

The above references the Verizon International Cell Phone Calling program. This is not the same as activating the International Roaming capability on your phone, which is free and must be done PRIOR to international roaming to insure to can make and receive calls. If you do not retrieve your voice mails while roaming internationally you are not charged for them. You are charge for text messages sent and received. Info here:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post but I wanted to reply anyway. Sprint has an incredible roaming program. If you have a phone with a SIM card that allows use on GSM networks Sprint has a program that is called International Roaming. For no (yes NO) charge, they will add it to your plan. Once you are set up and your SIM card is activated (one time deal) you can go to most travel destinations and get unlimited text and data, and voice calls at 20 cents per minute. Speeds are up to 3G which is slow, but I have used my phone in Mexico, Haiti and many other locations. They do have a faster speed plan that costs...but you can turn it in a month at a time and then turn it back off, but for pleasure travel and the ability to contact family it is perfect. The on hassle is before leaving you have to chat with Sprint international customer service to know which of the available in country cell networks to choose. These change...ie in Mexico it is Movistar, but in the Cayman Islands and Haiti it is Digicell. Still a great great deal, in my opinion and a reason I will not drop that company.

since the old thread has been revived I'd add that the Verizon info is no longer correct ...

for a recent trip to EU I added international access and was able to start it the day I arrived in EU and stop it the day I left.

There were different plans available for # of voice minutes and msgs etc

The cost was prorated for the number of days I wanted it .... very easy and very happy with the service I got when I TALKED TO a service rep. Trying to get what I wanted via web pages was confusing!