San Juan ..what to do!

kl25th

We leave in 2 wks and have pretty much everything planned....we just have not idea of what to do in San Juan....we are there from 7:00AM - 3:30...we have been there once before and just shopped and looked at the forts....any ideas! I am getting pretty excited for this needed vacation! :D

We leave in 2 wks and have pretty much everything planned....we just have not idea of what to do in San Juan....we are there from 7:00AM - 3:30...we have been there once before and just shopped and looked at the forts....any ideas! I am getting pretty excited for this needed vacation! :D

We did the segway tour. Took the 9am tour and had plenty of time afterwards for wandering.

http://www.segwaytourspr.com/

They do go to El Morro and you said you have been. The guide gives a personal guided tour there.

It was very interesting having a small group [just us and 1 other couple] our guide gave us a very detailed history of Old San Juan.

The best part .. no walking until we go to El Morro, LOL

We are also doing the Segway tour in SJ (the 12 noon, not the 9 am - remember 1 hr time difference!!!) - but if you have never been you may wish to tour around a bit? Try Victor at countrysidetours - he can set you up! (We did a tour with a private van/driver - to the forts, city jail, around old san juan, to the bacardi rum factory :).....it was excellent)

Edited by Froufie

When we were in SJ over the Summer we booked the City tour/Barcardi Rum factory. We had a blast. Transportation was provided to Bacardi where we had a tour and few Rum drinks. Then we drove through old San Juan where they let us off for about 45 minutes of shopping. Then back on the bus to the pier. The costs was reasonable and worth it !

For us, San Juan is not our port,

The only time we were there, we went walking around, just as far as Senior Frogs and back, and on our way back, we were accosted by a person claiming to have been attacked, (he was bleeding slightly) did not want help, but wanted money. Would not leave us alone. We ended up in the Cold Stone Creamery for Ice cream and then back on the ship.

Now it was night, we ported at 6pm.

I would not recommend it (being accosted) we will not get off the ship again in the dark, probably any port. Day will probably be better.

The only time we were there, we went walking around, just as far as Senior Frogs and back, and on our way back, we were accosted by a person claiming to have been attacked, (he was bleeding slightly) did not want help, but wanted money. Would not leave us alone. We ended up in the Cold Stone Creamery for Ice cream and then back on the ship.

I would not recommend it (being accosted) we will not get off the ship again in the dark, probably any port. Day will probably be better.

I understand this completely. Our first time in San Juan was after dark and I thought it felt so sinister with the streets being so narrow. However, we have sailed from San Juan several times and have spent tons of time there during the day. What a difference! I absolutely love OSJ. We have spent time in OSJ, Isla Verde, and the Condado beach.

You can walk up to La Bombanera for their breakfast and Puerto Rican coffee (and try one of their pastries). There is also the cathedral which is beautiful. Don Collins Cigars (if you smoke) is about a block up the hill from the cathedral.

We love to walk through OSJ. If you stay down along the harbor, you can walk along the Paseo de la Princesa. Up in town is Barrachina, home of the pina colada.

The Bacardi factory is entertaining, also.

This guy is from the states,....we met him two years ago. He is quite the story teller. We had heard about him before we went so we knew not to give him any money.

Here is a link about him. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1156051

We spent several days and nights in Old San Juan. We stayed at the Howard Johnson Plaza de Armas which is located in downtown Old San Juan. We walked the streets till late night, early mourning and never felt unsafe.

We did the Segways and had a great time. Also visted the Forts, but mostly just did a walking tour by ourselfs. Visited alot of nice little bars and had some great food.

Edited by welldone60

Walking the old city is great. go to Visitors Center for complimentary drink. Try El Jibarito for lunch which is great and inexpensive. If active type take tour to El Yunque Rain Forest which is so beautiful;

Edited by DOUGLASH

We were just in San Juan and booked a tour with Natural Wonders. It was FABULOUS!! Raul was great, he really bonded with our two kids. We got a great tour of Old San Juan and then headed up to the rainforest for our own private guided tour. We really can't recommend Raul enough! Easy way to contact him is through his facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/naturalwonderspr.

It is well known that there is a guy that tries to tell unsuspecting people that he was attacked in order to try to obtain money. It is one ongoing scam. Old San Juan is really not that bad.

The Segway Tour is a blast and I would highly recommend it. You can actually go online and book it ahead of time. I have also done the Rain Forest Tour and enjoyed it a lot.

• 2 years later...

We are cruising from San Juan on March 16 on the Valor.:)

One person in our group has ask the question if he can take his backpack inside the Bacardi Rum Factory.

I googled and have been unable to find any information about it.

Also did a search on CC no answer here either, that I could find anyway.

Some helpful tips I learned is that cameras are a no, no for the most part

and where to find the taxi to take us from the ferry to the factory.

Can anyone answer this for us?

Thanking you in advance.

Edited by 1tuckersmom

• 4 weeks later...
We are cruising from San Juan on March 16 on the Valor.:)

One person in our group has ask the question if he can take his backpack inside the Bacardi Rum Factory.

I googled and have been unable to find any information about it.

Also did a search on CC no answer here either, that I could find anyway.

Some helpful tips I learned is that cameras are a no, no for the most part

and where to find the taxi to take us from the ferry to the factory.

Can anyone answer this for us?

Thanking you in advance.

Yes it's not the real factory it's a tour inside a museum of sorts. It's really interesting. DH and I did it on our own. Just bought the .25 or .50 ferry ticket. But when we got off the ferry it was overwhelming as it's mainly Puerto Ricans on the ferry, but eventually when you get to the parking lot someone is yelling for Barcardi Tour groups. It was very easy and enjoyable.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app