Carnival Dream Picture Review, December 10th-17th, 2011

italianfemmy

Sweet. Waiting for it. I'll post it here when I edit it but will email you back to tell you what I did to it. :-)

I sent it...It's JPeg. I ususally only shoot JPeg, as RAW intimidates me still. Sounds fabulous! Thanks. I took a very basic photoshop class in 2008 and it was so fun, but I only learned the basics. I have a couple of books, and have learned from them too, but I just don't have the time to devote to it totally. I need to make time.

Thanks. Here is a picture I did the other day. I like it (not professional by any means) but I wanted more of a vibrant glow of colors. I did ad some lens flare too it, but I wasn't happy with the way it came out.

boardwalkwithflare.jpg

IMG_9282-edited-web.jpg

Okay.... I was going to post this in email to you but figured it might benefit other as well.... :-)

It was challenging for me to do this entire photo without using any of my presets, filters or actions (which you wouldn't have access to without purchasing them.) But, I just used what photoshop gives us naturally to edit it. Quick and dirty.. here's what I did.

Opened the image in ACR (Adobe Camera RAW).

Boosted the blacks +11

Boosted Saturation +33

Boosted Exposure +55

Changed image temperature to -16 (minus 16)

Opened image into Photoshop

Duplicated layer (Ctrl J)

Went to Image -> Adjustments -> Curves

Adjusted the top of the line by slightly dragging it upward to increase the highlights.

Adjusted the bottom of the curves line slightly dragging it downward to increase the shadows.

Duplicated layer again

Went to Image - Adjustments - Hue/Saturation

Changed the Master Saturation to negative 7.

Went to Filter, Other, High Pass, set it around 3.2. Changed the layer type to "Overlay" to sharpen the buildings a little bit. Erased it off the rest of the photo.

Finished it up by using the dodge and burn tools in photoshop to increase highlights and shadow detail, giving more drama and contrast.

Duplicated layer again

Then went to Filter, Render Lighting Effects, Flare, and chose the top one.

Used my eraser to erase all of the flare that looked fake and kept a bit of circular lens flare.

Awesome!! Thanks!!!!!Now I'll have to play around a bit. Now why do you duplicate it so many times? Just so you don't lose the last step?

I actually meant to tell you that after you duplicate it and you do what is required for that layer, you can flatten it. That way, you're always duplicating your background layer for the thing you're doing.

Photoshop has history states and only a certain amount of continuous brush strokes can be "undone." If you are on a duplicate layer and you make a mistake or add too much of an effect, you can just use your eraser, at whatever opacity you see fit to erase certain parts. Or you can slide the duplicate layers opacity slider to increase/decrease the effect. (For example, dodging and burning your midtones, highlights and shadows.)

Okay, if anyone has any more photography questions, please email them to me and I'll do my best to answer them all. :-)

I don't want to derail the thread too much but I wanted to show one thing since so many people in here have expressed so much interest in photography!!

I just wanted to thank you sooooo much for this review... I have been thinking about taking my husband on this one next year for his b'day, but after many not so good reviews on here, I was unsure. However, after reading this and seeing your truly awesome photos.... I want to go now!!!!!

I've never considered taking a job with a magazine or paper because I own 2 full time photography companies as it is now. A wedding photography company and a boudoir/pin-up/glamour photography company. So, there's absolutely no way I could make myself available to someone whenever they need me as I am often contracted by clients 6-18 months in advance.

With that said, I have considered doing some occasional freelance work and submitting stuff to them. But, again, I just never can seem to find the time. Look at how long it took me to do this review inbetween working!! :-)

My sister works for a newspaper and i have met a few of her photogs. I am happy that you are really enjoying what you are doing,BUT if you could get paid to travel:cool:. Freelance. My sister is also ready to go out on maternity leave and maybe writing a feelance story about a local hospital that with not tie a womans tubes if she wants it done without medical reason. It is a Catholic hospital. Maybe Carinval would even like you pictures for a mag or just anything. Sell yourself girl! You do great work!

(Huge frowny face)....... I don't have any more photos and all that's left to talk about is getting off the ship the next morning!

I think I have a hangover! Thanks for the great review!

Now I assuming, even though you didn't write reviews of your previous trips, you still shot lots of photos? Time to get crackin' on some new old reviews ;)

I think I have a hangover! Thanks for the great review!

Now I assuming, even though you didn't write reviews of your previous trips, you still shot lots of photos? Time to get crackin' on some new old reviews ;)

You're most welcome! I actually took a few photos on my Miracle cruise. Before that, I only took crappy film cameras with me (so no digital photos for the most part.)

I might do a mini-review on the Miracle one day with a few photos of her. We'll see :-) I didn't take many.

As with all great cruises, sorry the review had to come to an end. You did a great job with the narrative & of course the photography. I'm sorry we didn't get to hang out with y'all more after meeting at the M&G. For my "Queenie's" perspective of the same cruise, if you have 7 minutes, check out her trip advisor slideshow in my signature below. It will certainly bring you a grin. Til next time......

For my "Queenie's" perspective of the same cruise, if you have 7 minutes, check out her trip advisor slideshow in my signature below. It will certainly bring you a grin. Til next time......

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed your slideshow.:)

As with all great cruises, sorry the review had to come to an end. You did a great job with the narrative & of course the photography. I'm sorry we didn't get to hang out with y'all more after meeting at the M&G. For my "Queenie's" perspective of the same cruise, if you have 7 minutes, check out her trip advisor slideshow in my signature below. It will certainly bring you a grin. Til next time......

Hey there! I am sorry we didn't get to hang out more too! I didn't get to spend nearly as much time with some of the great folks on our roll call as I would have liked to! I'll check the slideshow out later! Latanya and I are about to go to the UniverSOUL circus. We've been wanting to go for years. So we're finally going to check it out. Yesterday made our official 6 year anniversary and we're in celebration mode for the weekend. :-)

I really enjoyed this review. We were going to take a cruise to the same ports last April for our honeymoon and 2 days before sailing, hubby ended up in the hospital. We tried again for this April....his mother got cancer and we decided to postpone it. Maybe one day we will get there to see everything. We were really looking forward to the Victor Bodden tour more than anything. Glad to see that it didn't let you down.

Thanks for the great review and the pictures. They were amazing.

OMG! Just when I'd thought I'd seen the most beautiful professional photos in a review!

I must say, your photos are the absolute best I've seen on cruise critic! What a gift you have!

Enjoying the review immensely!

Aww that's nice of you to say. Now I am curious who you think has the 2nd best photos in their review? I'd love to read it and see the photos! I love reviews with great photos. They make me feel like I am there!

Hey guys (and gals). I know some of you were waiting and hoping for my review and some photos on Harry Potter at Universal Islands of Adventure. For the time being, I've decided not to do one. I might add one on in the future but for now, I decided to just leave it as is.

Steve compiled a wonderful list of quotes from this thread of things people have said about my review and just going through them makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Thank you all so much for staying tuned in for the better part of a month and for your kind words, your personal contributions and for making something come back to life inside of me.

I've decided to start my own cruise blog for now! I am working on it currently and hoping to make it go live in the next couple of weeks. I feel so inspired to merge my love for travel, photography and writing because of all of the encouragement I've received here.

For those of you who are sailing on the Dream, I hope your vacation meets or exceeds your own expectations and that you'll find a way to make your vacation unique for you! Happy sailing!

Alicia, you have a cheerleader about 40 minutes south of Tampa. Much success to you and Latanya. I have to check out your blog when it goes live. Karen

I am still waiting for CC to let me know whether or not I'll be able to post the link here. I will still post my reviews here as well. But, I thought it would be great to have the reviews on my blog where there aren't pages of commentary inbetween so people can actually just read the important bits if that's what they want to do. :-)

I was thinking it would be cool if a few of us local to the area planned to get together and do lunch sometime or something. :-) Just an idea..

Excellent review! I wasn't even slightly interested in going on the Carnival Dream, and still not, but your review was amazing. Great photography. If you are ever in the European cruise market. Let me know, we may be on a ship with you.