Carnival Dream Picture Review, December 10th-17th, 2011

italianfemmy

Hiya stranger! I was thinking about you last night and thinking that we haven't talked much in a few days :-)

:-) Just the once Friday night in the last couple weeks. BTW, my car's exhaust was about 50 time louder by the time I reached Boston. It's hopefully getting fixed today.

I'm finally hoping to catch up on some sleep this weekend (unless of course, Kim has something planned for me).

Hey there. I am SO LOVING your review of the Dream. I'm booked for August and your review is making me even more excited about going. Keep it coming!

Well my review is all done now (you just have to sift through the pages of comments to find the rest of the review.) :-) I am glad you're loving it and welcome to CC (I see you only have made 2 posts). Glad 1 of them was for my review!! Enjoy your cruise in August!

Alicia,

I have just spent a few hours enjoying your amazing review and breathtaking photos! We sail on the Fantasy in a month, so am in the middle of getting my CC fix! We have friends from Tampa who sailed on the Dream last fall and really enjoyed it. Thank you so much for sharing so many details in your review and also sharing about yourself! Take care and I look forward to hearing about your next review.

Kiersten

Edited by Cruisin Suzy

Hi Alicia,

I and my 3 children are going aboard the Dream in August. For a while there I was really skeptical about my decision because of what seems to be a good amount of bad reviews about the Dream. However, after reading your review, especially seeing the wonderful pictures, I am now looking forward to our cruise. Thank you so much for providing a different and positive perspective on cruising with the Dream.

Just got back from our Carnival Dream vacation- Thank you so much for your review! We did the Chef's Table based on your feedback and it was wonderful! Also LOVED the SPA VIP, my favorite was the mineral pool! Fun Force was awesome, I made sure to catch them based on your input as well! Missing the Dream already!

I'm not sure about weddings, but Disney does allow photographers to do photoshoots. I know of several people who have hired outside photographers. But again, weddings might be different.

We did a Disney Wedding, and you could hire non-Disney photographers, that was 5 years ago though.... We chose Disney ones because we didn't know anyone at the time... but since then I've seen others and wished we had used outside photographers.

Alicia,

I have just spent a few hours enjoying your amazing review and breathtaking photos! We sail on the Fantasy in a month, so am in the middle of getting my CC fix! We have friends from Tampa who sailed on the Dream last fall and really enjoyed it. Thank you so much for sharing so many details in your review and also sharing about yourself! Take care and I look forward to hearing about your next review.

Kiersten

Thanks so much for spending so much time reading through all of these pages! I am glad you loved the review and I can't wait to cruise again and be able to write another one!

Hi Alicia,

I and my 3 children are going aboard the Dream in August. For a while there I was really skeptical about my decision because of what seems to be a good amount of bad reviews about the Dream. However, after reading your review, especially seeing the wonderful pictures, I am now looking forward to our cruise. Thank you so much for providing a different and positive perspective on cruising with the Dream.

You know, it was the bad reviews about the Dream that inspired me to write my own review. I really was scared going on the Dream because of the reviews I had read and was just so surprised with how amazing my vacation was. I hope you have the trip of a lifetime and thanks for dropping in!

Just got back from our Carnival Dream vacation- Thank you so much for your review! We did the Chef's Table based on your feedback and it was wonderful! Also LOVED the SPA VIP, my favorite was the mineral pool! Fun Force was awesome, I made sure to catch them based on your input as well! Missing the Dream already!

Wow, I am glad to see that my review brought you some amazing experiences on your own trip! I am glad you had a great vacation. I missed the Dream too... I still do. Was Trevor your chef for Chef's Table?

We did a Disney Wedding, and you could hire non-Disney photographers, that was 5 years ago though.... We chose Disney ones because we didn't know anyone at the time... but since then I've seen others and wished we had used outside photographers.

Was your wedding at a Disney resort or at a park? We had a client that tried to hire us to photograph their wedding at the Magic Kingdom last year and they were told they weren't permitted to hire outside photographers unless they were Disney approved photographers. I would LOVE to photograph a wedding at Epcot or the Magic Kingdom. That would be awesome. I've done engagement sessions there though...

Alicia,

still loving your review - I just went and read it from the beginning again.

I also have a potentially huge favour to ask you...

1. feel free to say no, I will still adore your photos and this review

2. I was at the pyramids last weekend, and did my first attempt at a panoramic shot (my camera made it easy) - but due to someone harassing me, I couldn't get all the scenery in an exact sequence... it looks fine when it's all together (camera program did that for me) but some of the colour seems a little bit off.

I have NO IDEA how to fix this, and I have no one to ask.... (this is where you are free to say no)

I was wondering if I posted the picture here, if you have any free time and think you could fix it, I would be super appreciative....

It's something I'd like to get printed and hang on my wall....

Anyways, that's my question, and potential favour and I cannot emphasize enough - feel free to say no -

Thanks for reading.

~Melissa

Wow...spent many hours today reading your review and could not 'put it down' so to speak. I was directed to your review sometime this morning in reference to a discussion about the Chef's Table and read the whole thing start to finish. I, like others here, have no immediate plans to sail on the Dream, but your pictures and writing style are so captivating!!

Thank you for taking so much time to provide so much information about your voyage on the Dream. I did the same itinerary on a different ship last year and loved it (except stopped at Grand Cayman instead of Jamaica). Like you we loved Roatan and also did a tour with Victor Bodden and the monkeys but added the ziplining which was great. The tour was so wonderful because you saw the whole island and the island is still so 'raw' in so many places.

Anyway...I am very thankful for the extremely detailed reviews of the Spa and Chef's table most specifically. I have not yet been on a ship which has the Cloud 9 Spa - and heard of the Thalassotherapy (sp) pool, but did not know much about those hot stone chairs and access to areas where you can be in the beautiful Spa and still enjoy the view. Very good info to have in the event we end up on a ship with that option. We have started to enjoy the Steakhouses on our last two cruises but I would like to bump it up the next time to try the Chef's Table - just need to convince the hubby -but your review might help as he is a pickier eater and prefers beef to fish.

I only own a point and shoot camera (although a fairly high end one with lots of options and a long zoom which I just got early last year), I have recently had more interest in photography. I know nothing about any of the technical terms, but have gotten better at getting decent shots just playing around with using 3-5 different settings for the same picture when I have time to see which works best and it is exciting to see the end results get a bit better. I know there is a specific section here on CC just talking about photography but it would be too advanced for me. I must say if you do get a blog going about travel photography I would be very interested. You are the first person who has been able to describe some of the technical terms in a manner I can somewhat follow and have learned a lot about what to focus on when I am ready to go to the next level in this hobby without necessarily investing a ton of money.

Thank you so much for this great review!! The photos are wonderful and I appreciate you taking so much of your personal time explaining how you got some of those wonderful shots, especially since this is your professional job. You and Latanya look and sound like a great couple and I very much look forward to reading your next review. I was also very happy to hear the feedback you had been receiving inspired you to get back into some writing. What a great pair of talents to possess - writing and photography!

Wishing you continued success and happiness...

Carol

Fantastic review Alicia, and your pictures are wonderful! We're still a ways off from our cruise (October), but I like to get stuff planned out early and your review is helping. The wife has always wanted to swim with the Dolphins so your pictures might convince her to finally sign up for it. Thanks again!

John

Simply amazing! I just read the entire 31 pages start to finish (it is now 1am in MN)

We booked our cruise 10 days ago and was looking for a positive Dream experience. You should be on the Carnival payroll... your review has sold more add-on's then a PVP could ever hope for! Add one more for the SPA based on your review :) I appreciate the time and effort you put in to the review. I feel it gives the readers a realistic expectation of what the cruise will be. We all tend to set the bar way too high, myself included and my disappointment is usually self inflicted. If we slow down and just enjoy it as it happens, it seems to be just fine. Thanks again - Debbie

We had Chef Sameer at the Chef's Table, but pastry chef was the same as yours. Everyone was so nice, and the food was divine! I tried everything and favorite was actually the seabass (and I'm so not a seafood person!).

I love that they gave us the Chocolate Melting Cake recipe at Chef's Table, I made it last night for friends and it came out perfect! YUMMMMM- ok, now I'm in trouble, as I can actually have Chocolate Melting cake every night- this could get out of control fast! HAHAHA!

In regards to Disney wedding- we did Wedding Pavilion, not in park due to hour restrictions (must be early morning or late evening for in park). I don't recall having to select a Disney "approved" photographer, but I know others did use non-disney ones perhaps they have some type of "approval"- there are several websites for disney weddings that probably could give you idea. I wish I'd known you back then, your photographs are incredible!

Alicia,

still loving your review - I just went and read it from the beginning again.

I also have a potentially huge favour to ask you...

1. feel free to say no, I will still adore your photos and this review

2. I was at the pyramids last weekend, and did my first attempt at a panoramic shot (my camera made it easy) - but due to someone harassing me, I couldn't get all the scenery in an exact sequence... it looks fine when it's all together (camera program did that for me) but some of the colour seems a little bit off.

I have NO IDEA how to fix this, and I have no one to ask.... (this is where you are free to say no)

I was wondering if I posted the picture here, if you have any free time and think you could fix it, I would be super appreciative....

It's something I'd like to get printed and hang on my wall....

Anyways, that's my question, and potential favour and I cannot emphasize enough - feel free to say no -

Thanks for reading.

~Melissa

Hi Melissa, you can email it to me and I'll take a peek at it and see what we're dealing with. Send it to me stitched together already. My email should be within a couple pages back when I helped another poster with a photo.

Glad you loved the review!

Alicia

Wow...spent many hours today reading your review and could not 'put it down' so to speak. I was directed to your review sometime this morning in reference to a discussion about the Chef's Table and read the whole thing start to finish. I, like others here, have no immediate plans to sail on the Dream, but your pictures and writing style are so captivating!!

Thank you for taking so much time to provide so much information about your voyage on the Dream. I did the same itinerary on a different ship last year and loved it (except stopped at Grand Cayman instead of Jamaica). Like you we loved Roatan and also did a tour with Victor Bodden and the monkeys but added the ziplining which was great. The tour was so wonderful because you saw the whole island and the island is still so 'raw' in so many places.

Anyway...I am very thankful for the extremely detailed reviews of the Spa and Chef's table most specifically. I have not yet been on a ship which has the Cloud 9 Spa - and heard of the Thalassotherapy (sp) pool, but did not know much about those hot stone chairs and access to areas where you can be in the beautiful Spa and still enjoy the view. Very good info to have in the event we end up on a ship with that option. We have started to enjoy the Steakhouses on our last two cruises but I would like to bump it up the next time to try the Chef's Table - just need to convince the hubby -but your review might help as he is a pickier eater and prefers beef to fish.

I only own a point and shoot camera (although a fairly high end one with lots of options and a long zoom which I just got early last year), I have recently had more interest in photography. I know nothing about any of the technical terms, but have gotten better at getting decent shots just playing around with using 3-5 different settings for the same picture when I have time to see which works best and it is exciting to see the end results get a bit better. I know there is a specific section here on CC just talking about photography but it would be too advanced for me. I must say if you do get a blog going about travel photography I would be very interested. You are the first person who has been able to describe some of the technical terms in a manner I can somewhat follow and have learned a lot about what to focus on when I am ready to go to the next level in this hobby without necessarily investing a ton of money.

Thank you so much for this great review!! The photos are wonderful and I appreciate you taking so much of your personal time explaining how you got some of those wonderful shots, especially since this is your professional job. You and Latanya look and sound like a great couple and I very much look forward to reading your next review. I was also very happy to hear the feedback you had been receiving inspired you to get back into some writing. What a great pair of talents to possess - writing and photography!

Wishing you continued success and happiness...

Carol

Hey Carol! I am so glad you loved the review and I can't imagine reading this entire thing including others comments in a day! lol. I wonder how long it would take from start to finish with absolutely zero interruptions.

Photography is something that many people are interested in and I think it's great for people to express themselves through photos. When I wanted to start out, I contacted many professional photographers and asked for help. I wanted a mentor. I was willing to carry their bags to observe and learn. But everyone told me no because they were afraid I would become their competition. (They were right.) lol. But, it motivated me to show them all that I could do it without them. I hired models to practice and I practiced all the time and read every book I could read every night before the book store would close down on me. And eventually, I felt confident enough to start taking real clients but that was many months (almost a full year) later.

My point is that I don't mind helping others when I have a free minute here or there to do so. I always said I'd never become one of those people that wouldn't even take a minute to respond to me. Some people are just very selfish. With that said, I won't teach someone everything I know for free but helping a little here and there does go a very long way. I might be a pro at this as you said but it hasn't changed the core of who I, as a person am.

I am glad to see your interest is piqued for Chef's Table and Cloud 9 Spa. I think Chef's Table is offered on every ship (not 100% sure though). I hope that you'll book it and enjoy it. If there's 1 or 2 dishes you or hubby don't care for, it doesn't matter... there's plenty more to fill the tummy nicely!

I never thought so many people that aren't even looking to sail on the Dream would have read this entire review!! You all know how to make a girl smile. :-)

I enjoyed reading your review. It makes me want to go on another cruise.

It makes me want to go on another one as well! The great part of this review is that I get to live vicariously through it as long as it's alive. lol. :-) Glad you enjoyed it!

Fantastic review Alicia, and your pictures are wonderful! We're still a ways off from our cruise (October), but I like to get stuff planned out early and your review is helping. The wife has always wanted to swim with the Dolphins so your pictures might convince her to finally sign up for it. Thanks again!

John

I too, like to plan things early. My next cruise isn't booked until November now on the Breeze and it just cannot come fast enough. I wanted to swim with the Dolphins for years but was terrified for some irrational reason. I now feel like a dummy that I was ever afraid. They're such gentle creatures and it was truly a highlight for our trip and something I'll remember for a lifetime!

Simply amazing! I just read the entire 31 pages start to finish (it is now 1am in MN)

We booked our cruise 10 days ago and was looking for a positive Dream experience. You should be on the Carnival payroll... your review has sold more add-on's then a PVP could ever hope for! Add one more for the SPA based on your review :) I appreciate the time and effort you put in to the review. I feel it gives the readers a realistic expectation of what the cruise will be. We all tend to set the bar way too high, myself included and my disappointment is usually self inflicted. If we slow down and just enjoy it as it happens, it seems to be just fine. Thanks again - Debbie

Wow... you read it all with no breaks? What time did you start? I am curious how long it takes! :-)

I am just beyond flattered that you and so many other people think I should be getting paid for my review. I just wanted to share my trip. The great thing about doing this review is that I now have edited photos from my vacation. I didn't do a review on my last cruise and I only edited about 10 of the photos for myself. The rest still sit unedited. Doing this review made me have to edit them to show them off so now I have loads of great photos from my trip that I can enjoy for a lifetime without procrastinating to edit them. :-) And that is pretty awesome.

I want to thank EVERYONE again for reading and supporting this review. In the Carnival section, this review is in 12th for the most viewed thread. And in 5th for the most viewed review thread. Of those review threads, this one was started the most recent by a 6 month differential. And the review thread with the most views was started 15 months prior to this one. All of this was pointed out to me today by a friend. It really kind of geeked me out inside. I didn't realize that you can click on "views" at the top of the Carnival (or any other) section and that it sorts them all by view count. Pretty interesting and lead me to start reading other stuff that I didn't know existed by other people too!

Anyway, I thought I'd share these interesting tidbits since I just discovered them myself. Secretly, I am kind of hoping this thread will get over 100,000 views. We're more than 3/4 of the way there!

:D

It took me about 4 hours... I geeked out all day Sunday and read 2 other Dream reivews and yours in 8 hours. I stopped a few times for quick doggie potty breaks - well me too, and more diet coke :0 Thanks again.

Edited by taahoe

Looks like you had a great time. We are thinking of booking this ship and your pictures really helped out on wanting to really go now, thanks.

I encourage you to explore all of your options and make the decision that's best for you. 5 years ago, the Dream would not have been the ship for me. But my lifestyle has changed and thus, it was an amazing ship for this time in my life.

I think I've always done so much research on every cruise I've taken that I always know which ship will fit me in the moment. This is partly why I hesitate to book cruises really far in advance.

I'm glad you liked the photos. I love how photos make things come to life and explain details without saying a word. :-)