Smith Cove Bacadere

mitsugirly

It has been many years since I've been to Grand Cayman (in the 80's) and I know this place has probably changed a lot. So I'm trying to research information on our cruise for next year.

From what I have read (and I did hours of reading yesterday on this place) it seem like everyone highly recommended it for snorkeling and said it was one of the best spots. Do most agree? I know everyone has a different opinion of "great" snorkeling and it is subjective to each individual. Anyone have any examples of what you might see?

I also read that when you are dropped off by a cab, most found it hard to find one back and those that ask the cab driver to come back at a certain time had no luck of the cab returning and they had to walk. Any thoughts on this? I don't mind walking at all, however, we will have our (then 4 yr old) daughter with us and I've read that there are no sidewalks and it's close to the road, which concerns me a bit.

I have done a lot of googling to find pictures of the place and it looks beautiful (reminds me of areas in Bermuda with the rocks out in the water like that). I was wondering is most of the snorkeling done within that little cove area or is most of it out past the rocks? I would love to see some pictures that cruisers have taken of the place (like maybe from on top of the rocks looking down so that I can get a better feel for where the coral/iron shore may be located and how far it is from the entrance). Would also love to get a better perspective of how big the area is.

I know there are no amenities there for food and drinks and most suggest you take something with you. I'm not sure how you are suppose to do that when they tell you not to take food off the ship. Is there some kind of store around the port area that people stop at to buy drinks and snacks prior to getting in a cab?

Can someone tell me what the rate is for a cab from the port to here? Is it a flat fee or do you pay per person? Do they charge for children?

I read several reviews that stated people would climb up on the rocks and jump into the water. Should I assume the water is deep in this area since they are able to jump into the water? Is there not coral or ironshore below that they could damage by doing this?? Anyone know how deep the water it is in the "cove" part?

I know I had more questions, but can't think of them at the moment. Other than is there another place that is similar to this that might spark my interest a little more? (I have read up on Cemetary, but I've seen a lot of people say that the snorkeling was not as good there. Also know about 7 mile beach, which sounds beautiful, but no snorkeling as well).

If anyone has ever been to Sapphire Beach St Thomas or Chankanaab in Cozumel, this is the type of snorkeling I'm looking for. We found them both to be abundant in fish and other things. I do have an underwater camera and have tons of pictures from snorkeling different areas and it seems like each time we snorkel, I see something new. I want to keep adding to that "newness" hehe :D

Thanks for your time and suggestions along with your helpful knowledge.

As you mention, everyone has different takes on what makes "good" snorkeling. While snorkeling is not what it used to be at Cemetery Beach, it is usually better than Smith Bacadere in terms of marine life and Eden Rock is my favorite spot in town to snorkel (no beach here though). IMO, Smith Cove is a good place for beginner snorkels when it is a calm water day.

Here are some pictures from a fairly rough water day at the cove, so the fish count was very, very low, but it will give you an idea of what you could expect.:

IMGP1348.JPG

IMGP1351.JPG

IMGP1353.JPG

IMGP1359.JPG

IMGP1362.JPG

IMGP1375.JPG

• A taxi will be about $5 US each way, the bus is $2.50 pp. As you mention, there are no sidewalks. You can stop off at Sunset House which is 5 minutes up the road toward town and have them fetch a cab if needed.

• You can jump off the ironshore in certain areas where the water is deep enough. Luckily, the hospital is less than a mile away should you get injured.

• A cab can take you to the Kirks supermarket for provisions, or there are some stores in town where to purchase drinks and snacks.

Thanks for the info. Although we are not beginner snorkelers, we will have our 4 year old with us, so this is always a concern. This year she snorkeled and swam (when she didn't feel like snorkeling) beside us at Costa Maya (water was calm), Roatan-West Bay (water was "fairly" calm), and also at Cozumel (wouldn't say it was too calm that day) and she did fine. I just get nervous if we have to go out far to get to the reefs and would rather find a spot that has the reefs close by for her. (Although when she gets tired from paddling, she hitch-hikes on mommy or daddy's back for awhile).

I had thought about Eden as well, but then read you have to go out kinda far to get to the reef?? :confused: Haven't done much research on it yet to really dig in and see.

When we've snorkeled before we usually pick a place with an abundant amount of different fish (cuttlefish, wrasse, chubs, trunkfish, grunts, Azure Damselfish, squid, various tangs, sea urchins, pompanos, lizard fish, Sargent Majors, French Angel Fish, stoplight parrot fish, trunk fish, pipe fish, trumpet fish, flamingo tongue sea snail, star fish, barracudas, cowfish, yellow snappers, Yellow tail damselfish and so on). These are usually what we find at the places I've picked on previous cruises and what I'm hoping to find at any place that I pick on future ports (and of course things I haven't discovered yet :D). Not sure if that helps with what my idea of "good snorkeling" is. :)

Of course we've been to places that is very poor on snorkeling (like our trip to Costa Maya this year) and there was hardly a fish to be seen (other than a few tangs), however, we did manage to find some starfish and even a stingray...so these were great finds because it was the first time I've ever ran across either during snorkeling and it made for a good day anyhow. ;)

So, I'm up for suggestions if anyone has them on a good "fit" for our family.

Eden Rock is the best (IMO), easily reached area but does lack a beach. Sounds like Cemetery Beach might be a better bet for you guys. Only drawback is there is no restroom or rinse shower (stop a public beach on the way back to port for those). But you will have more of a chance at seeing Eagle Rays, Southern Rays and Turtles there.

Another option might be to go to Governor's Public Beach nearby the Westin. That way you'll have food and drink + facilities nearby. Like at Cemetery, the reef is pretty (really) beat up, but there are usually loads of fish and the beach is quite fine, but like the others has no chair rentals.

Unfortunately for most cruise visitors, the best snorkeling is located on the farthest districts from town, North Side and East End. Maybe that is why it is still so good. ;)

Here are some pictures of Cemetery taken the same day as the Smith Cove ones, so the water was pretty tossed up and not very clear:

IMGP1432.JPG

IMGP1428.JPG

IMGP1414.JPG

IMGP1391.JPG

IMGP1384.JPG

Edited by TurtleTagger

I personally would not take a 4yo to snorkel at Eden Rock. DH is a diver and very strong swimmer, and snorkels there regularly. It's still a pretty good swim out to the reef, in fairly deep water, and the current can be strong so people tire a lot faster than they normally would. DH even got to tow an adult cruise visitor into shore once, when he got too tired to make it back under his own power.

What about something different like the Turtle Farm? They have a stocked snorkel lagoon there as well as an aviary and turtle touch tanks, and a huge pool with a brand new water slide.

http://www.turtle.ky/exhibits-animal-attractions

Yea, I've heard that Eden Rock is great but you really have to swim far out to get to the reefs, which is something I'm not sure I would want to do with my little one. If you can swim really far out and it's still not deep, that's one thing (we've found plenty of places like this at previous ports that we were so far out and the water was still only maybe 10 feet deep). Once you start getting into a lot deeper water, I don't feel comfortable with my little one out that far. So Eden Rock may be out of our reach until she gets older. My oldest daughter (who is 23) is talking about maybe coming with us. If she does, it might be an option for her to stay back with her sissy while we went out, but yet I still want the youngest to be able to see the fish as well. Ahhh, decisions.

I had read previously about the turtle farm, but haven't checked too far into it and I assumed it was a hefty cost to get into there just like most places like that. I'll do a little more research.

I did find this awesome video of a family at Smith's Cove with little ones jumping off the rocks into the water (won't allow my 4 year old to do it), but I'm sure the hubby would and they were snorkeling and following a sea turtle. I don't know what it is about this place, but it really intrigues me for some reason. I just wish I could find better videos and information about how far you actually have to go out to find the fish and reef like areas for some good shots. Looking at the depth from the video of where the kids are jumping in, this is about what I'm looking for and maybe just a little deeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbdwLkc684c&feature=fvsr

Another question... I remember reading the other night (after reading every thread I could find on Smiths Cove) that sometimes when the water is rough and it crashes into the cove area and you can't swim (I've seen videos with it like that too) that others have had to change plans and go to another place (can't remember the name where they said they went, but it might have been 7 mile beach or something) and the water was completely calm.

Can you tell me more about this? Is it like this certain times of the year? Could have been storms maybe went through previously or something? Just wondering.

I found this map that has most of the snorkeling areas indicated, so it may be of some help letting you get your bearings.

Grand Cayman Google Map

Oh wow!! :eek: I don't know whether to thank you for that helpful link or scorn you for now making this even harder on me now that I see all the wonderful places to go. :p

Guess I'll really have my research cut out for me now. :D

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Smith Cove was the first stop on our driving tour (we rented a car) and after visiting a few other beaches along the east and north end of the island we ended up BACK at Smith Cove. It was a really lovely place, close to port and my boyfriend snorkelled for hours there. He hasn't done a LOTof snorkelling, but remembers this spot as one of his favourites. The beach is beautiful and there was only about 3 or 4 groups there ... even though there were 6 ships in port the day we were there.

Smith Cove was the first stop on our driving tour (we rented a car) and after visiting a few other beaches along the east and north end of the island we ended up BACK at Smith Cove. It was a really lovely place, close to port and my boyfriend snorkelled for hours there. He hasn't done a LOTof snorkelling, but remembers this spot as one of his favourites. The beach is beautiful and there was only about 3 or 4 groups there ... even though there were 6 ships in port the day we were there.

Wow, that's good to hear that you liked it that much. There's just something about the way it look that appeals to me. I don't know what the draw is. :) Maybe the big rocks sticking up like that or something. It's just neat and not your typical flat type beach.

• 4 weeks later...

I almost forgot...can anyone tell me if the taxi to Smiths Cove is around $5...is this per person or per cab?

Thanks.

One other thing...someone mentioned a 5 minute walk to Sunset House to have them call for a cab...what type of place is this? Is it a place to get something to eat or drink?

Edited by mitsugirly

We just went to Smith Cove two weeks ago while on a cruise. DH and I were married there 10 years ago and were taking our families to visit. We had 8 people ranging in ages from 4 to 75. We took a cab to Grand Old House for lunch which is next door to Smith Cove. After lunch we walked to the beach. We snorkeled/swam for a couple hours then walked back to Grand Old House to meet the cab. The cab driver did come back at appointed time but Grand Old House would have called one if he didn't. Smith Cove was perfect for our niece who is 4 because the water is shallow and she could play without fear while some others snorkeled. We brought a sheet to lay all our stuff on and was able to snag a picnic table for DH's dad to sit on since his health isn't the greatest. Our day went perfectly.

ETA: I think the cab was 17 dollars for 6 of us, a little more for the way back since we had 8 on the return journey. Tendering was AWFUL though and we had to wait in line for 1.5 hours to get back on the ship. It's really a terrible process they have for as many cruise ships as are there all the time (5 in port while we were there)

Edited by rljrdn

We just went to Smith Cove two weeks ago while on a cruise. DH and I were married there 10 years ago and were taking our families to visit. We had 8 people ranging in ages from 4 to 75. We took a cab to Grand Old House for lunch which is next door to Smith Cove. After lunch we walked to the beach. We snorkeled/swam for a couple hours then walked back to Grand Old House to meet the cab. The cab driver did come back at appointed time but Grand Old House would have called one if he didn't. Smith Cove was perfect for our niece who is 4 because the water is shallow and she could play without fear while some others snorkeled. We brought a sheet to lay all our stuff on and was able to snag a picnic table for DH's dad to sit on since his health isn't the greatest. Our day went perfectly.

ETA: I think the cab was 17 dollars for 6 of us, a little more for the way back since we had 8 on the return journey. Tendering was AWFUL though and we had to wait in line for 1.5 hours to get back on the ship. It's really a terrible process they have for as many cruise ships as are there all the time (5 in port while we were there)

Thanks for sharing. Good to hear it's a great place for a younger one to be at as well. Our 3 year old snorkeled right along side of us last year. Hopefully she'll love this place as well.

So then it's a flat fee for a cab ride instead of per person. Good to hear. I think there will be 5 of us going.

HATE to hear about the tenders. I should probably check to see how many ships are in port that day and plan ahead for a long wait just in case.

How long did you actually stay at Smiths Cove?

Did you see a lot of fish or any turtles? Is there much coral/iron shore in the area? Or do you have to swim out a little ways to get to it?

Thanks so much for the info. :)

Sunset House is a divers hotel. They have a great bar with good food and drinks, a sea pool for snorkling, really nice place to chill.Walking distance to Smith's cove.,

Since it's a hotel, are regular people welcome there if they are buying food or drinks?

What is a "sea pool"? Private snorkeling area? Do you have to pay to snorkel there? Or would stopping and eating and drinking there would they allow you back there? Or is it for resort guest only?

Thanks for the info.

you don't have to go far out into the water at all. I'm not a strong swimmer and stayed close to where I could touch when necessary. The pictures posted here are very accurate as to the coral and fish we saw although I found the water a bit more cloudy. We got off the ship late morning and got to Grand Old house at a little before noon. We ate lunch and then spent about 2 hours at smith cove, wish we had longer though

Edited by rljrdn

you don't have to go far out into the water at all. I'm not a strong swimmer and stayed close to where I could touch when necessary. The pictures posted here are very accurate as to the coral and fish we saw although I found the water a bit more cloudy. We got off the ship late morning and got to Grand Old house at a little before noon. We ate lunch and then spent about 2 hours at smith cove, wish we had longer though

What was the water temps like? Comfortable or too cold?

Sunset House:

1.Shore is ironshore (like the rocks you see in the pictures of Smith Cove) but has a "sea pool" area carved out of the rocks that divers use for easy entry. You may find a bit of snorkeling there, but most of the snorkeling is a bit further out from shore.

2. Non-guests are very welcome to come for lunch at the bar and/or go snorkeling.

Taxis are generally per person for at least the first four persons. YMMV.

Water temp is coldest in February at about 78F. Water temp rise as high as about 88F in Sept/Oct.

Edited by drew sailbum

Sunset House:

1.Shore is ironshore (like the rocks you see in the pictures of Smith Cove) but has a "sea pool" area carved out of the rocks that divers use for easy entry. You may find a bit of snorkeling there, but most of the snorkeling is a bit further out from shore.

2. Non-guests are very welcome to come for lunch at the bar and/or go snorkeling.

Taxis are generally per person for at least the first four persons. YMMV.

Water temp is coldest in February at about 78F. Water temp rise as high as about 88F in Sept/Oct.

Thanks a lot for the info.

So hopefully it will be a little warmer by March when we'll be there. But that will work. :D

• 3 weeks later...

So wait, I'm now a little confused after re-reading this.

It was said that a cab ride was $5. When I ask if it was pp, a poster said they paid $17 for 6 people. So is there a flat fee depending on how many people are in the party? Or is it per person?

Also, since it was mentioned that after returning to the port, there was a 1 1/2 hour wait to get on the tenders. We will be in port from 8-4pm. What time do you suggest that we head back just in case it's the same for us?

It looks like there will be 4 ships in port that day.

So wait, I'm now a little confused after re-reading this.

It was said that a cab ride was $5. When I ask if it was pp, a poster said they paid $17 for 6 people. So is there a flat fee depending on how many people are in the party? Or is it per person?

Taxi fares are, to say the least, a bit confusing. YMMV

Taxis licensed to operate from the port often charge a flat fee per person for trips to any of the Seven Mile Beach stops. Not sure how they handle trips to other destinations such as Smith Cove.

Some taxis are not licensed to pick up and drop off in the port area on cruise ship days. Fare structures with them may be a bit different.

Edited by drew sailbum

Taxi fares are, to say the least, a bit confusing. YMMV

Taxis licensed to operate from the port often charge a flat fee per person for trips to any of the Seven Mile Beach stops. Not sure how they handle trips to other destinations such as Smith Cove.

Some taxis are not licensed to pick up and drop off in the port area on cruise ship days. Fare structures with them may be a bit different.

Oh, so there is really no way to tell how much it's going to cost my family to get to Smiths Cove. :(

BTW, what is YMMV that you put on your post?