April weather California Coastal

bunzini

Does anyone have any insight on the weather off the coast of California in early April? We have a cruise booked then and being from Ohio, U am not sure of what type of weather to expect. We also have a forward cabin and wondered about the seas. Any information is appreciated.

Does anyone have any insight on the weather off the coast of California in early April? We have a cruise booked then and being from Ohio, U am not sure of what type of weather to expect. We also have a forward cabin and wondered about the seas. Any information is appreciated.
The California Current runs long the coast of California out of the Gulf of Alaska to Baja California, Mexico. The water is very cold and can be rough. I haven't done a California coastal but I do live 10 minutes from the coast. In port, the temps should be warmer but at sea, it could be quite chilly.

April weather in California is fairly mild. There may be some cold mornings, but the days should be warm (70's). But be aware, that when you are traveling north, the seas might be rough because you are bucking the California Current. Southbound should be okay...

I agree with Pam. The weather might be moderate on land during April but on the seas you most likely will experience chilly weather. I always suggest to those sailing either theCoastals or the Mexican Riviera to pack with layering in mind. Going north I would expect you to experience chilly mornings and evenings in April. I think the new coastal sailing for the Sapphire are more for the itineraries and the fact that many cruisers are reluctant to sail to Mexico. I don't think they are for cruisers who want to sail primarily for warm weather, lounging out by the pool, etc.

Also, if you have a very forward cabin I think you might experience quite a bit of pitching motion going north along the California coast. If you have a tendency toward seasickness I would suggest you take something.

We often cruise out of San Francisco to Mexico in the spring (April) and fall (Sept). We generally plan for cool days at sea til we reach the Mexican boarder. We take windbreaker jackets for being out on deck or on a balcony when at sea. In ports along the California coast temperatures typically range from 60 to mid 70s on a nice day, can be cooler in the 50s, as well; weather is unpredictable everywhere these days. It is possible to have showers as late as May but this various a lot from year to year.

Coastal cruises can go from Southern Calif to Vancouver.

I have done many during early May going north out of San Fransisco and the weather can be very subject. It Can be sunny leaving the port of S.F. and be so foggy going out of the Golden Gate you can even see it.

The ocean can be very rough and breezy.

The air temp will be from the low 50's to mid 60's with some rare days in the low 70's

Hope this helps

In My Princess there is a Weather link that will let you

find out the average temperature for your destination.

For information on weather the sea will be rough or not that will have to come from someone who has done the cruise in April. We have booked this cruise for March 24th so we are also interested.

Archived