Which are better..Coba Mayan ruins in Cozumel or Xunantunich ruins in Belize?

cml88

I'm looking to book a shore excursion for the mayan ruins. We're stopping in Cozumel and Belize.

Our ship offers the Xunantunich Mayan Ruins in Belize

andthe Coba Mayan Ruins in cozumel...

both excursions have high ratings on the cruise website and are similar in price.

Have you done either and what would you recommend? Thanks!!!

I'm looking to book a shore excursion for the mayan ruins. We're stopping in Cozumel and Belize.

both excursions have high ratings on the cruise website and are similar in price.

We only been to Xunantunich and we love it.

2099011220012554337S600x600Q85.jpg

2947129250012554337S600x600Q85.jpg

2455413680012554337S600x600Q85.jpg

They are both excellent choices. I would choose based on what else is available in each port that matched my interests, then book the ruins in the port that offered the lesser desirable non-ruin choice.

I agree with snorkel2much. Also consider the time it will take out of your day on either of these excursions. Both are all day affairs. Xunantunich is a long bus ride, a short, hand cranked ferry across a small river and a van ride to the ruins. Plus there's a sit down lunch stop. Coba (and Tulum) start with a long ferry ride to Playa del Carmen, followed by a long bus ride. I know at tulum, "lunch" isn't mor ethan snacks or what you might be able to pick up at the vendors on sight (which doesn't begin to compare with the local restaurants there). Since Coba is at least 1/2 hour-45 minutes further inland from Tulum, I'd assume "lunch" will be hurried. There's a lot more to do in Cozumel than Belize, especially if you like the beach.

We went to Xunantunich in Belize (December 2011) and loved it. Took a private tour with http://www.experiencebelizetours.com Allen Dawson is a native and shared lots of info about Belize on the delightful drive to the site. We had a knowledgeable guide at the ruins, Alberto Panti, who worked with the UCLA archaeologists there. Our cruise ship tendered at Belize City and we got back to the ship well before the last tender. It was a super day.

We've only done the ruins at Belize, but we loved it. We based our decision on having been to Cozumel and wanting to do some shopping there, and also because we wanted to see more of Belize so the bus ride, although lengthy, would afford us that opportunity. We booked through the cruiseline (Carnival) and the excursion was run through Bak-a-Bush. Our two guides were knowledgeable and told us a lot about life in Belize on the way and lots about Xunantunich when we were there. The lunch on the way back was about a 40 minute stop and the food was delicious (rice and beans were the best - we were served some the next day in Roatan that were not as good).

Archived