Carnival Insurance

Jimi123

I'm considering buying the Carnival Insurance. I read the policy and called the provider and it seems to cover my concern (but you never know!). My main concern for the policy is to cover in the event that someone gets sick just before we set sail. For example, the flu, cold, etc. I travel with my children, and they can get sick anytime. I'd hate to loose the full price of the cruise.

So my question is, what is your experience with sickness (flu, cold etc) and Carnival insurance actually coving the loss? Is it a real burden to collect on the policy? I'm assuming that a doctors note should be good enough.

I don't know anything specific about policies sold by Carnival. But for any policy I've had experience with, "a doctor's note" is not sufficient. Your doctor will have to fill out a specific form; it's more detailed than just a note.

Read the terms of this policy carefully. You can compare other insurance policies at insuremytrip.com. You may find one with better coverage than what you are looking at now. Personally, I wouldn't purchase travel insurance through a cruiseline.

I'm considering buying the Carnival Insurance. I read the policy and called the provider and it seems to cover my concern (but you never know!). My main concern for the policy is to cover in the event that someone gets sick just before we set sail. For example, the flu, cold, etc. I travel with my children, and they can get sick anytime. I'd hate to loose the full price of the cruise.

So my question is, what is your experience with sickness (flu, cold etc) and Carnival insurance actually coving the loss? Is it a real burden to collect on the policy? I'm assuming that a doctors note should be good enough.

If you cancelled in time, you would probably be covered under the "Cancel for Any Reason" rider.

However, there is no refund or cash back option on this program. It's a future "Cruise Credit" and I'm not sure that it's at a 100% credit.

• 1 month later...
If you cancelled in time, you would probably be covered under the "Cancel for Any Reason" rider.

However, there is no refund or cash back option on this program. It's a future "Cruise Credit" and I'm not sure that it's at a 100% credit.

The future cruise credit is 75%.

It's pretty straightforward and the same procedure every insurer uses. You see the doctor and if he/she advises that the condition is serious that the trip should be cancelled then you'll be good -- I've never seen an insurer not go with the doctor's recommendation as it opens them up to all sorts of legal problems.

As previously noted, the insurer will mail you a form for the doctor to fill out (or email it to you). The doctor will answer the questions and you'll also have to sign it as it will have an authorization for the insurer to request more medical information from the doctor if necessary.

Carnival's insurer will send you a check for the amount of your loss.

In the odd case that the doctor thinks there's no reason why you can't go but you decide to cancel anyway you'd now fall under the "Cancel For Any Reason" provision of the policy and you would be given a future cruise credit equal to 75% of your penalty amount (you'd forfeit 25% of the penalty amount).

Archived